please help - "work even"

Emily Webber

Question

I wonder if there is an expert that could help me decipher a pattern for a hood to add to a jumper I have made. I would be sooo soo so greatful and I apoligise that this is one of the first things I have posted

I am getting a bit confused by the term "work rows even" - I know it means work the pattern as established - but I cant figure out what this is

I am making it in a size 2/3XL. I have got as far as when it says "work 13 (14-15-17-17-18) rows even"

Here is the pattern:

SIZES: To fit bust measurement:
XS/S (M-L-XL-2/3XL-4/5XL)

HOOD
Ch 98.
Proceed in pat as given for Back for 4 (5- 6-7-7-8) rows. 97 sts.
Next 5 rows: Ch 1. Sc2tog over first 2 sts. Pat to last 2 sts. Sc2tog over last 2 sts. Turn.
Next row: Ch 1. Pat to end of row. Turn.
Next 3 rows: Ch 1. Sc2tog over first 2 sts. Pat to last 2 sts. Sc2tog over last 2 sts. Turn. 81 sts at end of last row.
Work 13 (14-15-17-17-18) rows even.
Place marker at each end of last row.

Shape back: Next 8 rows: Sl st in each of first 3 sts. Pat to last 3 sts. Turn. Leave rem sts unworked. 33 sts at end of last row. Fasten off.
Fold Hood in half, matching markers. Sew back seam from fold to markers

Thanks so much for any help at all

3 answers to this question

>>>

Next 3 rows: Ch 1. Sc2tog over first 2 sts. Pat to last 2 sts. Sc2tog over last 2 sts. Turn. 81 sts at end of last row.

Work 13 (14-15-17-17-18) rows even.

<<<<

Like you, I would assume you will work the next rows so they have a total of 81 stitches. 

Or, you may want to contact the Pattern Author for a clarification to avoid possible need to frog.

HTH

Archived