Tampa Doll

C’Ville July 2013 Tote

Time for Fireworks, cookouts and parades.

I use to love July as a kid.  I lived in a small section of Camden, NJ and we had a town square, where the library, Dr.’s offices, bakery and small stores were, along with one grocery store.   This is where we use to have the 4th of July parade.  We would dress our bikes up and march in the parade for prizes.  One year mine was covered with handmade tissue carnations and I was dressed up as a butterfly.

After the parade we would go home and our front walk was lined with sparklers and the bar-b-que was in the front yard, as we would have a block party.  Everyone would cook our front, or bring something to eat or drink.  Lots of watermelon, hotdogs, hamburgers,  it was a fun time for all the kids, as we would play kick the can, stick ball and hide and seek on the corner.  When it got dark, we would walk up to the bridge that was to the next town and watch all the fireworks. 

As we got older, fireworks and sparklers became a no, no all over.  Down here you can walk into Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Target to get all the sparklers you want along with some fireworks.  They even have fireworks tests that go up in the middle of June.

I tried, but could not resist the colors of Red, White and Blue.  We have a red bag, blue handles and red/white/blue for the outline.  All made with P&C cotton yarn.  The pocket is white with a red hook and blue writing.

Let me introduce you to Crochetville Tote #88 Fireworks.

Pictures

Edited by Tampa Doll
  • Like 2

those colors really pop

I'll see if I'm any better at clues this time, guessed right

one time when it went to MissCrochet

I love this red, white and blue bag... so perfect for July!

I've so many great 4th of July memories. Back in the '50's and 60's our celebration would begin with an early afternoon parade on our little street every year, just the kids riding their decorated bikes, Moms pushing carriages, wagons full of toddlers being pulled along by Dads with their brand new riding lawnmowers. Later in the day we always had a huge picnic at our house, all the neighbors and our friends were invited, always a hundred people or so. Dad and my brothers did fireworks after dark. We always had out of town relatives stay over, so all us kids slept in tents in the yard. Great times!

July also meant a chance for all the kids to earn some cash working on the neighbors farms. I remember picking green and yellow beans, we got 75 cents a bushel... it would take it all morning to fill that basket! We had some nasty bean fights, too. There'd be string beans flying everywhere, two teams, yellows against the greens... It didn't take much to entertain us country kids, now that I think about it, but we had a lot of fun! (August was better, we'd have tomato, melon and apple fights, lol)

Just this morning i was wondering when this thread was going up!. I love the colors! This year my fourth is going to be bittersweet...my daughter leaves on Monday the first for boot camp. While i am proud of her decision i am a little sad that my baby is going away. I will miss her! This bag is so patriotic. The recipient is going to be so excited. I will keep my eyes peeled for clues

Wow! Those colours are fantastic! The person who receives that is going to pop when she sees it!

At some point in my life, I would love to be in America for the 4th of July. It looks like you have so much fun. The country celebrates. People over here claim to be patriotic but nothing is hardly celebrated. I love your fireworks and the whole thing really! We have fireworks to mark a foiled plot to burn down the Houses of Parliament. :lol

Another fantastic bag!  Love how the colors pop!  It's perfect for the 4th of July!  Looking forward to congratulating the newest member of the club!

Beautiful bag. 

I still go back to my home town for the parade.  Afterwards we usually have a cookout with which ever family members we've dragged along with us.

Its a good thing you didn't resist using red, white and blue as this bag is outstanding and very appropriate for the July tote.  As a kid my sisters and I spent the summers on my Grandma's farm.  She didn't really like fireworks but sometimes we would have them if Mom and Dad made it down for the 4th.  Once the neighbors slipped down and shot off some for us to enjoy.  We would celebrate with a cook out in the yard.  That meant roasting hotdogs over a fire, having potato chips and pork n beans, and later toasting marshmallows.  We usually had lemonade and watermelon for the 4th, and sometimes blackberry cobbler (if any berries were ripe enough to pick) and ice cream. 

:mdust  OOOOOOOHHHHHH, AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Another lovely tote Mary Jo! :mdust    :clap

It's a beauty that's for sure.  I have to tell you MaryJo even the public fireworks in NJ have become lame.  Most of the cities can't afford them anymore and we lost ours about 4 years ago.  We still can't have sparklers or fireworks of any kind.  Of course you can just drive over the bridge in PA and buy them but I heard last year they were watching for the NJ cars and as soon as they got back over the bridge they pulled them over.   My son loves them so this year we are taking him to Atlantic City to see them.  I'm hoping the weather is good and they are better than we've had for a long time.

This bag has to be my favorite. Red is my favorite color and I like red, white and blue on anything.

As a kid we use to go to the fireworks. There was always a dinner at Grandma's house and everyone came to it. When my kids were growing up we always went to the 4th of July parade. Some years they decorated there bikes to be in it. Now since we've moved away, we go back home for the Yankee Doodle Parade which is held in June now. To many people go up north now days so they changed the date. Now we take my Granddaughter to the parade. I guess you can say it's a family tradition.

Thats so pretty! Looks like a sparkler itself! I used to enjoy the family get togethers, and such on that day, and gathering in our driveway with all the relatives over, to shoot off a multitude of fireworks, but these days, I am more thinking about the poor birds, and the animals, my dog hides in the bathtub, and the cats find a hidey hole, so we don't do fireworks anymore, but there are so many public displays, my animals still hear the big booms, and hide.... I wonder what the poor birdies and rabbits think. Your bag is a lovely way for someone to be able to celebrate the fourth is a lovely  quiet way!!     I will tune in to see  where and with whom it's forever home will be!!!!!

OMGosh... love the colors.  I know that red is very bright!!!

I was so ready for the June tote, but sure not ready for this one.  lol

Another SPLENDED tote MaryJo! :manyheart  :yay  :clap 

As a kid, I loved setting off the "black cats".  I was always a "watcher" than a do'er.

These days, I would rather watch them from afar.  Like Katyallen said, I'm more worried about the animals, sparks flying from the fireworks and landing in trees or roofs. I'm a worrywort now.  LOL

Wow you've done it again!  Just beautiful!  This bag is special to me MaryJo since it marks my anniversary into this prestigious "Bag Lady Club"!  Can't believe it's been 3 years since I have received my beautiful Miss Liberty bag!   I know whoever the lucky lady will be, she will be just as thrilled as I was to receive such a special bag!

Edited by kittyloverdeb

It's just beautiful, Mary Jo!

But ~ did you win a prize during the parade when you decorated your bike and dressed up like a butterfly? I cannot help but think that you did! :manyheart

Wow!!!! This is bag is perfect for July.  One fond memory I have of the 4th of July is the year my mother, a family friend, his niece, and I made a trip to the Great Smoky Mountains.  We were camping out as there were no motel rooms left.  Luckily we had our tent and cots and anything else we needed to camp out with us.  The night of the 4th we lite sparklers and snakes to celebrate.  The family in the campsite next to us were from Canada.  Their kids were fascinated that there were fireworks plus we had the sparklers and snakes.  Canada's Independence Celebration was July 1st so they were wondering why we were doing this on July 4th.  What a interesting way to learn a history lesson for both families.

Can't wait for the clues so I can begin to try to figure out who the lucky one will be.  Good job as always. 

What a beautiful bag!!! It is sure to make the new bag lady's holiday even more festive!!! By the way,  I would have to agree with TCarrra, that Mary Jo surely won a prize for that beautiful bike of carnations and herself as a beautiful butterfly!

Wow hard to believe it's almost the 4th of July already!!!

Lovely tote...very festive..

Years ago when I was young my family would celebrate with another family...we'd grab a chair and watch as they lit up fireworks. One person in particular always seemed to have the best ones.....

Fast forward about 20 years....that person with the best fireworks became my husband....more special became the fireworks when our oldest daughter was born on July 4th..she'll be 24 years old this year!!!

She still is our lil firework and VERY independent!!!