mattenylou

Stitch Markers .. what works for you?

Stitch markers, do you buy them? Make them? improvise? go without?

For working in rounds, I find just using strands of a different color yarn or thread work for me, I carry the same threads out thru my work like spokes of a wheel. I usually try to offset the increases so they aren't all sitting on top of each other, and by carrying the tread along between the 2 stitches of my increase I can see exactly where the previous rows were increased... works well for me, and I don't have to fuss with moving a marker.

Bobby pins work well, too... a bit of a pain to move at first, but after they are broken in, they are easier to move and they seldom fall out.

I've had the same handful of colored little plastic pin type thingies in my little toolbox for years and recently looked for more at the craft store because they seem to be disappearing. Yikes! $$$$ Time to go thru my bags of "never gonna finish it anyway" stuff and pull the markers!! (or go to the dollar store for more bobby pins, lol)

What do you use?

For years I also used yarn....I had never heard of stitch markers until a few years ago...Yes some are priced high....I also do polymer clay and beading--so I made me some with clay beads and some with store bought beads with earring findings.

I've also done the carry-the-thread thing, it was recommended in a D Chan pattern i did, and I've used it in other things too.  Kind of neat to see the lines build up!

For marking a single stitch, i like the Clover markers that look kind of like a tiny lock http://www.joann.com/clover-locking-stitch-marker/prd12012/

• Like 1

I've always used bobby pins - cheap, lightweight, don't snag or fall out.  I've only used yarn markers for knitting.

I also have used contrasting yarn but I did buy a small package of the little rubbery ones by Boye at a craft store.

LI Roe

I use safety pins.  Never had a problem with them snagging.  I tried the yarn, but it didn't work for me.

I used to always use safety pins but a friend sent me some of the little plastic pins looking ones & I love them. They're really quick to get off & on when making toys.

Edited by Chiscrochetcrazy

I

use them same loking markers that Magic Croochet Fan mentioned. They are useful in many  ways including marking a last st

when I stop working so work does not unrevel.

I've tried several ways to mark stitches, but for me the best are plastic locking markers. I think the brand is Clover.

and the best part is that they come in different colors so if I'm working on something complex I can color code them.

Hi Kay-

For years I used Coilless Safety Pins then misplaced them in this so called studio of mine. They're here somewhere, but who knows where.

I also alternate with contrast scraps of yarn, leaving them in without tying, then removing all at the completion of a project. Quite some time ago I purchased the Clover plastic markers and they are okay, as are the Boye stitch markers, however, I find the Boye brand a bit clumsy to use when the arthritis speaks to me. I do find I still like the yarn scraps since I save a little time by leaving them in until it's time to pull them out just before blocking the project. I've seen some beautiful markers made from beads or clay and jewelry findings but, am not fond of them on yarn as they tend to pull from the weight of them, especially on lighter weight yarn. I think I'll just stick to the cheapo yarn scraps. LOL

Edited by ReniC

It's been quite awhile since I made anything smaller than a dishcloth. LOL

Are you making coasters in the round? Just poking the Clover markers in would work for me in that instance or in Amigurumi.

Yarn scraps are good, but too slow when I'm
crocheting a small continuous circle

Mostly I use yarn scraps, but I also love using the beautiful handmade markers that I have been gifted by some wonderful FGM's.  I have used Boye markers and didn't care for them.  The Coilless safety pins and bobby pins sound interesting.  I'm going to have to give both of them a try, but I don't think you can beat good old "free" scraps! LOL!

I use lever back earrings. I don't add any kind of charm to them because I'm always working with more than one strand of yarn at a time. The charms get all tangled around the yarn so I just simply use the earring only. I get a 4 pack of them at JoAnn's and they cost around 5 dollars.

Yep, I've been making coasters lately while bogged down mulling over how I want to assemble the pieces of an afghan. Also used the markers for some baby hats and bonnets worked in the round that I've been making for this fall's charity sale. All the above are great scrap user-uppers.

It's been quite awhile since I made anything smaller than a dishcloth. LOL

Are you making coasters in the round? Just poking the Clover markers in would work for me in that instance or in Amigurumi.

For years I used small brass pins, because they don't rust. Then, one of my sisters introduced me to the Clover markers and I love them.

I use the Clover split ring markers. Quick and easy on the rare occasions that I need to use them. I never liked using yarn bits, so I was happy when I discovered those. They are definitely pricey for what they are, but plastic is eternal.

Can't wait to see your finished projects....especially that afghan!

Yep, I've been making coasters lately while bogged down mulling over how I want to assemble the pieces of an afghan. Also used the markers for some baby hats and bonnets worked in the round that I've been making for this fall's charity sale. All the above are great scrap user-uppers.

Pretty much only use either plastic coated paper clips in different colors or bobby pins now.  Have tried safety pins but didn't like the bulk of them.  The ones without the little coil spring on one end worked OK, though.  Yarn never seemed to stay put and the split ring thingies always snagged in my yarn.

I like the split ring markers, though I rarely use them. If I ever really need a stitch marker when I am crocheting and I don't have any within reach at the moments or if I am away from home or something I just use an earring or a bobby pin. 

I actually use either use the stitch markers that look like what I call locks or I even use metal safety pins. I am going to have to try out using bobby pins as markers now.

Years ago I used yarn and sometimes bobby pins. Every once in a while I'll still use yarn if my markers aren't nearby.

Now I mostly use the Boye stitch markers.  I have the Clover split ring and use them some times but I like the Boye a little better.

I did use a safety pin the other day because I had it on hand.  lol

I use a mix of hair pins, small safety pins and a few plastic stitch markers I was given as a present.