Curling problem

Confused

Hi all, I'm new to this site, and I need a bit of help. I'm crocheting a round blanket for my guy for our anniversary, but it keeps curling, and it looks like a hat.

I'm using a Lion Brand Homespun yarn that's lableled as Bulky, and my needle is a Susan Bate 6MM or USJ10. I started by doing the chain stitch 6 times and then connecting it, and i've jsut been using a single crochet stitch to do this. I'm pretty new at crocheting in general, but i've wanted to make this for a while.

Can anyone tell me how to fix it? Also, will i need to start all over or not?

Hi, and welcome to Crochetville!

Hmmm, a hat, I usually have the opposite problem, mine get ripples, lol!

You said you started with a ring of 6 chains, then did single crochet in the first row, not sure how many stitches you put in the first row, but that next row (2) has to have two sc's in each stitch for it to lay flat. Is it flat in the center or cupped?

I find it easier to start with a chain 2, then do 6 sc in the 2nd ch from the hook.. or start with a magic loop, and do the 6 sc's into it... like this .... Her diagram gives a nice simple explanation of how to start your circle,

Are you a member of Ravelry? There's lots of free round afghan pattern there, just to give you some ideas. (only takes a minute to sign up)

Either working with or without a pattern, I'd keep a notepad handy and jot down what number increase I'm working on, for my own sanity's sake (or jot down your numbers first, and cross them off as you complete that row) Working on round stuff can be tricky, check often for ripples or cupping, sometimes you can "fix" it but usually it means taking it back a row or two. Sometimes it needs an extra increase added or left out to keep it flat... I think it depends on my mood and how I crochet today, compared to yesterday, loose vs.tight, or too much coffee, who knows? lol.

I really wish I could say that helps mattenylou, but i don't understand half of what you're saying. I don't count as im going or use a pattern. I've just been putting the needle wherever it looked like the next loop was. I haven't a clue how to increase a row. I can't even follow a pattern honestly. I've never been able to complete any crochet project I began (and that's only 2 of them). I really have the attention span of a gnat, which is why i chose crochet over knitting - I thought I wouldn't have to count

The center is cupped, kind of like a mushroom cap. I really dont want to have to start over, as whatever this thing is is already about 8 inches across already.

The center is cupped, kind of like a mushroom cap. I really dont want to have to start over, as whatever this thing is is already about 8 inches across already

You're going to have to.  If the center is cupping then there's not enough stitches.  Circles pretty much have set stitch counts to keep them flat.  Also - I would go up to a K or L hook with Homespun.

I really wish I could say that helps mattenylou, but i don't understand half of what you're saying. I don't count as im going or use a pattern. I've just been putting the needle wherever it looked like the next loop was. I haven't a clue how to increase a row. I can't even follow a pattern honestly. I've never been able to complete any crochet project I began (and that's only 2 of them). I really have the attention span of a gnat, which is why i chose crochet over knitting - I thought I wouldn't have to count

The center is cupped, kind of like a mushroom cap. I really dont want to have to start over, as whatever this thing is is already about 8 inches across already.

I really hate to tell you this, but if it's already a "mushroom cap" I think you/ll have to start over. The important thing to keep in mind when making circles is you have to increase evenly in every row to keep them flat, and the number of stitches you put into that ring determines how many times you need to increase every row for the entire circle. If you begin the circle with 6 single crochets on the first round, every row has to increase by six stitches... if you start with a bigger loop and begin with more, for example- 17 singles in the first row, then you need to increase by 17 in every row after that, the formula never changes, so it means a lot of counting throughout.

How about going back to that link and going step-by-step and making a small circle, just to see how it's done. It explains the basics of crocheting a circle, you'll see how nice and flat it works up, and then just keep going..... good luck!

I read somewhere recently that you have to increase 6 stitches each round to keep it flat. The added nuance of increasing by the number of stitches in the base ring makes a lot more sense! Every time I think about it I wish I had a block of free time somewhere where I could see how big I could make the circle and still keep it flat....

Welcome aboard, Confused! You picked a doozy of a yarn to start off with, that's for sure. I did my first crochet project in Homespun, too, and it took me forever to figure out how to tell one stitch from another! (Didn't help that I was holding two strands together as I worked...) I *highly* recommend stitch markers. Get a bunch of cheapo spastic ones and use them, like, every five stitches or something. It's a pain taking the time to put them in, but they can be such a help keeping your stitch count under control. At the very least mark the beginning of each round - I can't crochet in the round at all without some sort of marker!

(I did not use stitch markets on my first project. I did not know they were a thing. Wish I had! Would have saved me a lot of ripping out and redoing.)

Hi there Confused, welcome to the ville!

I would ad one thing to the first link that Mattenylou gave:  it shows the increases being made on top of each other.  If you do that on every row, you will end up with more of a hexagon than a circle.  You really don't want to stack the increases like that.  As long as you have the right number in every round, you can stagger them around so they don't stack on each other.  

Also i think Homespun makes it really hard to see the stitches, as Vikingrunnergirl said.  I really think you might be happier with a different yarn----a smooth yarn in a light solid color will make it much easier to find the right stitch----maybe at least to practice on.  

:welcome from Pittsburgh

I agree with the other replies....use a bigger hook, I usually like 'K' with homespun.  And the stitch numbers are key when working in the round, so you will probably have to start over.  If you use a double crochet stitch, it'll work up quicker.  I'd try to follow a beginner pattern for one to get the hang of it.  Good luck

It'll go a lot faster if you do it in dc. Then you'll need 12 increases per round to keep it round.

The thought of all those scs make my hands hurt.

Thanks for this! I'd been meaning to ask how dc instead of sc would change the increases. Makes sense; double the stitch height and double the increases. I sorta wanna do a round afghan in Homespun myself now! Ohhh, the colors... And it would be so soft!

Thanks for this! I'd been meaning to ask how dc instead of sc would change the increases. Makes sense; double the stitch height and double the increases. I sorta wanna do a round afghan in Homespun myself now! Ohhh, the colors... And it would be so soft!

I think there are some formulas for increases on Crochetcabana.com and there are for sure in the Crochet Answer Book by E Eckman.

hullo and welcome from southampton uk,

I am not even going to begin on how to crochet a circle because it is much easier than you might think to read patterns - and is almost impossible for a beginner to crochet without this skill (well it was for me anyway). I appreciate you do not think you have the patience to learn this but neither did I when i was starting out. If you stick to making smaller things from patterns there is a lot less counting to do - which you might prefer.

Almost every crochet book has a section on how to read patterns. I watched a couple of videos on youtube on how to read patterns then referred to a book and quickly learnt.

heres some basic abbreviation meanings:

ch - chain

sc - single crochet

dc - double crochet

tr - treble

dtr - double treble

trtr - triple treble

st - stitch

sk - skip

If you google "how to crochet a circle" you'll find loads of help. - or you could go on youtube and watch through the video then you dont have to do any counting...

Hope this has helped

I think Patricia Hewett's Scalloped Potholder is the ultimate perfect circle pattern for first timers.  It uses a fpdc (I actually use a fptr so it doesn't pull) and has 'spokes' but it really sets in how circles are created.  You can make it as big as you want. 

Archived