We're back online!

Donna

Thank you all for waiting! Crochetville is back online after our hard drive failure. If I had known at the beginning how bad things were, I would have been sweating bullets! But luckily reality only came to light as things progressed yesterday while our host was working to resolve our problem: first, just down time and then a hard drive failure that turned out to be much worse than was initially apparent. It took pretty much all day on Saturday to get us completely up and running again.

Unfortunately we have lost some data, from early evening Thursday, June 20 through the time that our site went down on Friday. This was due to some problems with backups, because our backups should have been continuous. So if you see a few posts missing here on the forum, that's why.

I'm so glad we're back! :ghug

Thanks for all the work to get the Ville back up and running. I noticed last night that it was back up and thought that there were some posts missing. Thanks for clarifying that there WERE some posts missing. I was beginning to think that maybe I was just imagining that! ;)

You're welcome, everybody! I'm glad we made it through without losing much. We've been online nearly 10 years and never had a close call like this. :sweat

wow,. that was scary! glad it's back too, and by the way, thanks for posting on facebook, even though I don't have a facebook account, I was able to read the notice you posted about time down, etc. APpreciated that!    Smooth sailing from here on out!!!!!!!!!!!!

I played around a Ravelry a little bit yesterday, but it just wasn't the same. Thanks so much for coming back. I really missed you!

Glad Crochetville is up and running again. There was a poster on another crochet board asking what had happened. At first I said I saw the same error message and didn't quite understand it either. Then I went back for a second post and said it's back!!!!

LI Roe

Donna what caused that to happen?  

Just like your hard drive on your own computer can go bad, a hard drive on a server can go bad. When our web host was trying to clone the failing drive, more and more sectors were showing up as bad. They ended up having to build a new build a new server from scratch and restore the site from backups. Unfortunately there was an issue with the backups beyond our control, which is why we lost about a day's worth of data from the forum and about two days worth of email.

Archived