Prayer shawl/wrap

#1Crochetfan

This is a prayer shawl/wrap that I made a while ago.  It is a pattern by Kim Guzman for a tunisian afghan that I had worked special for someone into a wrap.  I have been asked to make one or two more (not necessarily this pattern) and am not sure I will take this task on because I don't really enjoy doing these because it is usually done for a sad occasion and it's so hard to be optomistic when I know the situations involved:

post-3193-0-60700000-1371503621_thumb.jpg

post-3193-0-40576800-1371503661_thumb.jpg

Pretty pattern in the shawl. If you decide to go ahead maybe you can concentrate on the comfort that the shawl would give to the recipient rather that on the problem that caused the need for the shawl.

It's very pretty and love that pattern.  The situation may be sad but you have to think of the comfort it brings.  When I make them for someone in particular I try praying for that person or their situation as I'm crocheting it.  I have had so much positive feedback from my gifts and the stories of comfort and happiness they have brought others make it all worth my while.

Beautiful shawl. :)

When I make a prayer shawl I think of infusing it with all the love, caring, and warm thoughts I have. To make someone smile even for a moment is worth it. That said though, do whatever you feel is right for you. It doesn't make you better or less than for choosing not to continue to make prayer shawls.

It's very pretty and love that pattern.  The situation may be sad but you have to think of the comfort it brings.  When I make them for someone in particular I try praying for that person or their situation as I'm crocheting it.  I have had so much positive feedback from my gifts and the stories of comfort and happiness they have brought others make it all worth my while.

I agree--that's the real purpose of a prayer shawl.   We make prayer shawls for our local Hospice, and always pray for the person receiving it, AND for their families and friends. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a beautiful shawl the comfort that it gives someone to feel like they blessed someone cared to put all the time and effort to make them feel like human beings again. No matter what or when sharing love of spiritual giving also will will benefit the giver too.

• 1 month later...

Your shawl is beautiful.  As the others have posted, please concentrate on the comfort that your gift will bring.  I pray for comfort, healing, warmth, rest, and peace as I crochet prayer/comfort shawls for our local hospital.  Also, think how good it must make the recipient feel to know someone took the time to make something to help them.  All of this was said by previous posters but hopefully this will help you if you decide to continue making shawls. 

It's very pretty. I'd have never known that prayer shawls were sad things. I always thought they were just warm things you wore to church to keep from freezing your backside off.

It's very pretty. I'd have never known that prayer shawls were sad things. I always thought they were just warm things you wore to church to keep from freezing your backside off.

We don't think of the prayer shawls as a sad thing!  They are amazingly comforting!  Since I've joined the prayer shawl ministry, I have heard SO MANY beautiful accounts of how the shawls have comforted the dying, and eased their passing for them AND the survivors.  That isn't sad--that's uplifting.  

We don't think of the prayer shawls as a sad thing!  They are amazingly comforting!  Since I've joined the prayer shawl ministry, I have heard SO MANY beautiful accounts of how the shawls have comforted the dying, and eased their passing for them AND the survivors.  That isn't sad--that's uplifting.  

True that. I guess it's all perspective. Or rather, a bag of trail mix and it just depends on what you pull out of the bag at the moment when you're thinking about it. Sad that somebody is dying and the family is sure to be grieving, but happy because it made them a bit happier than they would be.

• 2 months later...

Very pretty shawl.. We must remember respect everyone's feelings and views.. I crochet for Hospice as my mom is nurse there and asked me if I could make a shawl for a client one time who was so tiny and cold who was trying to keep warm w/ a blanket that was so heavy so I whipped up a shawl to keep her warm. That was my first shawl...I have made almost 60 or so now for Hospice

I just joined a ministry at our Church.  I can understand how you can be drawn into the sadness, but I wanted to join because I know from having family that passed what being thought of when you are sick means to people and the hope it brings.  From what I understand our ministry donates to a range of people so some will recover others sadly will not.  However, for me it is the thought that people will know others cared that made me want to join and has my first one over half done.

Each of us is called to contribute in our own way.  If we all donated to the same cause, other causes would do without.  I wish you well as you continue your charity work.

Archived