Attaching a Hood Piece to a Cardigan?

rissaroo1234

Question

So I'm making this little sweater, fallowing the 18mo size in the pattern. I've got all the pieces crocheted for it. But now I'm confused about how I'm suppose to attach them all together, especially the hood piece. Here's what the pattern says;

"Fold Hood in half along back seam edge and sew center back seam. Pin shaped edge of Hood to neck opening, beg at center of button or buttonhole bands and matching back seam of Hood to center back neck edge. Sew in Sleeves placing rows above markers along armhole edges of Fronts and Back to form square armholes. Sew side and sleeve seams. Sew buttons to correspond to buttonholes."

I'm so confused! Why am i supposed to fold the hood, if I do then it doesn't fit to the back piece evenly. If someone could please explain how to do this in greater detail, that would be awesome! 

Here's the link to the full pattern: http://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-for-Kids/Adorable-Toddler-Crochet-Pattern-from-Bernat/ml/1

Edit: Adding photos, hopefully they'll help other people understand this better then I do! 

post-48663-0-11952600-1371236271_thumb.jpg

post-48663-0-97011100-1371236291_thumb.jpg

post-48663-0-03080800-1371236316_thumb.jpg

post-48663-0-34679600-1371236331_thumb.jpg

post-48663-0-57632600-1371236344_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

You fold the hood to find the perfect center.  You fold the piece to find the perfect center.  Then you attach them together.  From that point on the hood should be centered.  Then you pin the rest of it in place so that it's even.

I think the next-to-last pic is almost right - except the hood is upside down.  I believe the narrow side of the cone attaches to the neck edge, and the wider side goes around the face.

It's too bad it didn't include a diagram to make it clearer.

I think the next-to-last pic is almost right - except the hood is upside down.  I believe the narrow side of the cone attaches to the neck edge, and the wider side goes around the face.

It's too bad it didn't include a diagram to make it clearer.

Okay, so do you mean like this?

post-48663-0-18784400-1371244107_thumb.jpg

(Sorry its showing up on it's side, I don't know why it's doing that. It's rotated correctly on my computer but its not here. Whatever, you get the idea ;) )

That does seem to look a little more even with the other pieces. So then, do I also stitch the top edges together?

Oh, that does match up nicely to the neck doesn't it? 

I'm still guessing by its appearance, but I believe you don't sew it up in the orientation it's lying in (side to side sweaterwise), but the other way (front to back sweaterwise).   I think I'd pin it both ways to make sure, but it seems the hood would come to a point sewn if front to back (which is normal), but have 2 'ears' if sewn how it is in the pic.

edit- and I think the shaping would give it sort of an overhang at the top front, like the bill of a cap, which would be a good thing.

You have it folded correctly in the second picture and laid out for joining almost correct in the last picture.  The edge that is shown at the top of that picture is the back seam that gets sewn together.  Do this then you can match that seam with the center back of the neck opening. (Just fold the sweater in half to find that spot.)  The curved edge on the right hand side of the picture is the seam you join to the neckline.  It should extend down into that scooped bit in the front of the sweater like you have it in the last picture.  Done like this the folded edge will be the top of the hood and the long open edge, shown at the bottom of your picture, is the front opening.

Archived