Between Meal Centerpiece -- Stuck! :(

autumnrhapsody

Hi all! Used to be pretty active on this forum, then life kinda got in the way and I forgot about it.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could help me with rnd 39 of the Between Meal Centerpiece. Rnd 38 is okay. All of my "triangles" have 11 dcs with each ch-2 sp having 2 dcs.

So the part I'm stuck on is figuring out what the "center dc" of the "dc group" is. Rnd 39: Sl st in next 6 dc, ch 1, sc in same place, *ch 8, sc in center dc of dc group, ch 8, sc bet dc groups, rep from * around, end with ch 8, join with sl st in first sc.

I think what's throwing me off is where the pattern has you begin the rnd. You begin the round in the 6th dc, but it looks to me like you should begin one stitch before. I think the "sc bet dc groups" goes between the 2 dcs in the ch-2 spaces, but I'm not sure.

Any help is much appreciated. I am so ready to be done with this round! lol.

I haven't made this doily yet, but I plan to soon.These old patterns are sometimes challenging, aren't they? I'm getting spoiled by so many charted patterns lately, they are so easy to follow compared to trying to guess what to do next on these patterns from decades ago.

FWIW, I sometimes work a few inches along a row, doing what I *think* I'm supposed to be doing, then add another thread and work a bit of the next row to see if these new stitches will 'fit' into the previous row. I may do 3 or 4 rows of this little section, just a few inches wide, to be sure it will all come together before I go ahead and work the rows all the way around... It saves a lot of time, and it sure is a lot less frustrating to not have to rip out several completed rows, instead I just have a little section the size of two or three fingers to rework.

There's nothing worse than tearing back rows of fussy little stitches on a doily that's taken forever to do, I've found that working these little sections when I run into a problem has saved me a lot of time and aggravation over the years. And it nice to know that, yes, this row, and this next section will be a breeze, as you start it, because you've already played around with it and know it all fits together fine... instead of beginning each row with that 'iffy' feeling, hoping all along that somehow this will all fall into place eventually. Sometimes I draw my own little graph on paper for a section, just so I can ^see^ it, too.

This is a beautiful piece when finished, after looking at the pdf today, I think I may get started on it soon. I'm thinking of making it in two colors, ecru and pale blue. What color is yours?

That's a really good idea! And yes, some of these antique patterns are challenging. I am spoiled by specific instructions AND charts.... the older patterns assume that your knowledge is at a certain level and the wording is also kinda special in some places. AFAIK, I'm working this doily from a translated pattern and have already come across 2 other rounds with mistakes. Oh joy! lol.

This one that I'm working on is purple. It's worked in AL's Classic size 10 and they call the color "wood violet." Originally I wanted to do an ecru one too. There's just something really timely about that color. Unfortunately, JoAnn's was all sold out of ecru AND white, so I picked the purple color. At first I felt like I was settling on a color, but I've really grown to love it because it reminds me of the flowering trees at my wedding. :) You should definitely start a BMC one day! As challenging and aggravating as they are, they are SO worth it.

It seems to me there was a thread or two about this here a few years ago, and if memory serves someone posted corrections or 'by row x you should have y stitches' or similar.  I'll see if I can find it...

edit - this was it, mostly on the first half of the thread, it digressed to a copyright discussion after that.

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/76506-more-between-meal-centerpiece-questions/

It seems to me there was a thread or two about this here a few years ago, and if memory serves someone posted corrections or 'by row x you should have y stitches' or similar.  I'll see if I can find it...

edit - this was it, mostly on the first half of the thread, it digressed to a copyright discussion after that.

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/76506-more-between-meal-centerpiece-questions/

Thanks for posting this link, these notes should help when I get started. Lots of info there, these old patterns can be challenging but that's what makes them fun...or not!

Archived