Sign in to follow this  
mattenylou

Projects, What Part do You Enjoy Most?

My friend is moving back to town this week to help her daughter out with a new baby,  I've been mulling over making her a housewarming gift for a month and have already made a sweater set and an afghan for the baby. I'm still looking for more things to make for baby Annabelle, something cuter, something pinker, something lacier .....I don't know!?! just something else to work on, I guess...

I think I just love the whole "search" part of making things, taking a day or so to find just the exact pattern I knew I had seen months ago after going thru a hundred of them, then deciding on what yarn to use and then trying to find the best deal on it, (not that it really matters all that much, lol) or sorting thru my stash and that "Hallelujah moment", finding just enough of the right color, right here, tucked away down behind the picnic basket and hubby's ice skates!

Next it's figuring which hook to use... this one, that one, this size, that size... lot's of squares or circles of the pattern are tried with the different hooks to see how the gauge will work up. And, of course I'll have to haul out all my stitch dictionaries and check online,too, because i seldom follow a pattern, anyway..... that takes another day or so to figure out which stitch to use before I finally decide to follow the pattern after all... maybe... seems I always have to change something, somewhere.

Eventually I take a deep breath, and pick up my hook and yarn. I can't even say I find crocheting "relaxing", I'm a compulsive stitch counting, note taking, post-its on the pattern page, make-a-mistake-rip-it, type crocheter.... but I still love it! I usually make a doily or two every week, no planning involved, I just open one of my "threadie" pattern books to just about any page and grab a ball of thread and a hook and I'm ready to go..

Just wondering what part of the whole process you enjoy.... the planning? the shopping? the designing? the making? ..... the finished product?

Hmmm... I never even mentioned how much I love yarn shops.... and squishing all those skeins between my fingers? and my favorite yarn shop is only a half hour away! Oh my!!

That's a really good question?

I guess for me it would be the last step in any of my projects whether it be finally joining the 100 squares together for an afghan, or seaming the sweater pieces together or jointing my animals together. At this part, I know all the work I put into my projects is finally coming together and I see the end in sight.-lol

Of course, there are always wips for me, and I always take a new project on right away. I am one to not like to be idle.

I love to play with colors and patterns in my mind, so I guess planning, though this is actually more like fantasizing. Eventually one combination will rise to the top, and then I play with the colors. I make a color swatch, a two round disk, of every yarn I get, so I pull out my samples and play with the real thing for a while. After that it's work...work...work... and then I love when I'm almost done and the end is in sight, and finally - finished! On to the next, that I have been planning while I worked on that one.

The part I do NOT like is weaving in ends. Bah, humbug! Someone on a forum once asked if you could have any Harry Potter spell, which would you choose. Well, scourgify, hands down, because I hate housework, but there's bound to be one for neatly tucking in all the ends. That would be a good second choice!  :lol

Edited by ddc

Most of what I make I design my own pattern for now. I can hardly follow someone else's pattern because I like doing it myself. For me I love everything up until I have to take pics and type up a pattern I thoroughly hate that part lol I have tons of things I've made that I have never typed up the pattern for or even taken a picture of.

In one word..

Everything! From picking the yarn, to giving, wearing, selling, or using the finished product!

And what a cool idea to make a two round disc of all the yarn you have, wow, I have thought about tht forever, thinking of just strands of every color,tied in a large fringe like lump,  that would be portable if looking in a store for more that exact shade, but your idea, brilliant!!!!!!!! I like that alot!!!!!!!

I really love having the small samples. I also love pulling out actual skeins to play mix and match with, but -- see above -- I hate housework and they would end up all over my floor and then have to be reorganized and put away. This makes it so much easier. 

I made one mistake with them - all the many, many RHSS and RH Classic colors are in a large box I kept incense in for a while. Now they have all become heavily perfumed, so it's a little embarrassing to take them shopping with me - LOL.

For me it is the crocheting and sometimes changing the type of yarn from ww to thred.

The part I hate is the sewing and tedious work.  I would love to farm that part out..

The part I enjoy the most is coming up with just the right project for someone. Then I agonize over the colors or placement of colors, until I have them thus, if you know what I mean. After that, the going is usually smooth. My problem is I get too many projects going at any given time, because there are always so many interesting things to make!

What I make mostly are motif afghans. I enjoy all the planning and selecting of motifs and colors, but the most satisfying part is seeing the pieces all sewed or crocheted together then selecting and crocheting a coordinating border. It's only the n that I learn whether my choices have worked out, and ifthey have, iit really feels good.