Yarn dreams

Afghaniac

That's right - every yarn type should have at least 40 or 50 shades, especially in the colors we like - LOL! Those subtle peachy/mango colors are hard to come by. 

Love the colors in your photo!  And I agree, these would be great for an afghan.  Where I've found the coral-y colors has been from hand dyers (admittedly probably not what you want for an afghan) and actually by using combinations of pink, yellow, orange, to get the overall effect.  

post-10356-0-04474400-1371173731_thumb.jpg

from a local dyer, she only had one skein like this

These are from the Natural Dye Studio, their Dazzle HT fingering yarn

post-10356-0-81560300-1371173760_thumb.jpg

post-10356-0-29318700-1371173771_thumb.jpg

Well, now I feel bad for saying hand-dyed yarn wouldn't be good for an afghan!  Beautiful ones have been made, patterns here http://www.thenaturaldyestudio.com/blanketsafghans-pdf-crochet-patterns-206-c.asp

I personally wouldn't make an afghan out of yarn that couldn't be machine laundered, but i shouldn't assume!  

Also i am saving my NDS yarn for things that I can wear out of the house lol

magiccrochetfan - I loved the Rita blanket, next to the bottom. I took not of how she worked her color progression. Definitely another project in my future. But I'll have to use plain ol' RHSS for it.

I recently picked up 4 skeins (at WalMart) of Red Heart Super Saver named Coral. It is not the coral color I've bought in the past, which was a pastel shade. This is more like a Mango. It isn't orange, tangerine or peach, but would probably look great mixed with all of them.

I've never tried the yarn from Willow Yarns, but when I received their catalog a few months ago, I was fascinated at their range of colors.... yummy!

Has anyone tried it?

Yes I bought some.  I'm not real impressed with it but they have different types of yarn.  What I bought was the more basic type and I would equate it with a red heart super saver.  I don't think I would buy it again.

That hand-dyed yarn is just gorgeous, and the colors do approximate nature. If I were making a very special afghan -- a one-time thing -- I might consider the high-end yarn. But I make so many afghans, mostly for Project Linus, that I'd be in the poorhouse. Also PL doesn't accept natural fibers. All has to be machine washable and dryable.

Love the colors in your photo!  And I agree, these would be great for an afghan.  Where I've found the coral-y colors has been from hand dyers (admittedly probably not what you want for an afghan) and actually by using combinations of pink, yellow, orange, to get the overall effect.  

attachicon.gif100_7304.JPG

from a local dyer, she only had one skein like this

These are from the Natural Dye Studio, their Dazzle HT fingering yarn

attachicon.gif100_7697.JPG

attachicon.gif100_7702.JPG

Willow does have a nice range of colors. I wish I could see them in a land store, the better to see the exact shades. I wouldn't even mind that it maybe as rough as Red Heart (it does soften up with washing), which I used mostly for years until Michael's Impeccable and Vanna's Choice came along.

I've never tried the yarn from Willow Yarns, but when I received their catalog a few months ago, I was fascinated at their range of colors.... yummy!

Has anyone tried it?

That hand-dyed yarn is just gorgeous, and the colors do approximate nature. If I were making a very special afghan -- a one-time thing -- I might consider the high-end yarn. But I make so many afghans, mostly for Project Linus, that I'd be in the poorhouse. Also PL doesn't accept natural fibers. All has to be machine washable and dryable.

I keep thinking about this thread, because these are some of my very favorite colors.  Several years ago when i was just getting back into crocheting a lot, i wanted to make a blankie for my grandaughter using a strong pink and an orange, and it needed to be machine wash/dryable.  I spent many frustrating hours in the craft stores, LYS, and online and never found anything like the colors I had in mind---really aggravating!  

More recently I made a ripple afghan (my avatar) and wanted to use colors of the ocean, so the other side of the color wheel from the pink-coral-yellows of your groceries ;-). I was able to find colors in Berroco Comfort, but it took a lot of experimenting (and i bought some colors that just didn't work like I thought they would, some of which I still haven't used up---but better to have leftovers than to run short lol).  So I thought of Comfort as a possibility for what you are wanting, but other than Rosebud, I don't see any that really look like they'd work http://www.berroco.com/yarns/berroco-comfort    That may also be more than one would want to spend for a donation blankie, though it could work to use a color as an accent.

Then I thought about the colors that Lucy of Attic24 uses, and the special color packs the mfr. put together of "Lucy" colors---turns out that is mostly blue http://www.deramores.com/stylecraft-special-dk-colour-pack    but there are a couple of mango-y colors in the yarn, Shrimp and Sunshine down at the bottom right 

http://www.deramores.com/stylecraft-special-dk   Their shipping to US is about $6, so pretty reasonable...one of these day I am going to order something from them.

I wonder why there aren't more of these colors in yarn, since they seem pretty popular in clothing and home dec right now?  

I just bought a boatload of DK yarn from Deramore's - the colors are scrumptious. I really love the Stylecraft Special DK (the one in the assorted "Lucy pack" though I picked and chose my own.) I also ordered some of the less expensive James C. Brett Top Value and it also also has lovely rich shades.

I bought enough for the free shipping; it was processed on Monday and I received it on Saturday, so the shipping to the US is fast too. I would certainly recommend checking it out if you like the DK weight yarns.

Oh, i didn't realize you could get free shipping to the US!  Will definitely have to remember this next time i want to make an afghan.  Good to know the colors are great in person :-)

It's free shipping over $50. We'll not discuss exactly how much I exceeded that. I am addicted to pretty colors.    :ohdear  They also always seem to have coupon codes. I see now there is one on the Stylecraft yarn. When I ordered they had one for 10% off any DK yarn. That was perfect since that was what I was buying and I wanted to sample several brands -- I concluded I was born lucky. I usually don't use the lighter weight yarn, but I wanted to make a special afghan for myself with it. I bought mostly 100 g balls (a few 25 g in Pattons to get specific colors), and the ones I bought, except the Paton's, seemed comparably priced to RH sport, so all around, I thought it was a deal, since here the inexpensive lightweight  yarns seem to be mostly baby colors. I've only played with it a little so far, but I really like the yarn.

Maybe I can get one someday. I'm doing it in blues, greens and the betweens, turquoise, teal and such, and some pinks/magentas/reddish purples to warm the mix up a little. I'm doing it in smallish single color hexagons.

Maybe I can get one someday. I'm doing it in blues, greens and the betweens, turquoise, teal and such, and some pinks/magentas/reddish purples to warm the mix up a little. I'm doing it in smallish single color hexagons.

Sounds beautiful!!

Archived