Amigurumi help

Dubslove

Question

6 answers to this question

in most cases, brand (Ella Rae, Euro Baby, etc) is not as important as the weight (DK, Worsted,  No 4, No 3)  of the yarn

Your pattern should give you that information

Personally, I prefer a yarn that will full somewhat so the fiber blend is always important to me because I want the fabric to expand when wet finished.

Because you mentioned "New to crochet"  You may also find it helpful to do some practice work with any of the stitches "called" for in that pattern - especially any increases, decreases, or other stitches used.

in most cases, brand (Ella Rae, Euro Baby, etc) is not as important as the weight (DK, Worsted,  No 4, No 3)  of the yarn

Your pattern should give you that information

Personally, I prefer a yarn that will full somewhat so the fiber blend is always important to me because I want the fabric to expand when wet finished.

Because you mentioned "New to crochet"  You may also find it helpful to do some practice work with any of the stitches "called" for in that pattern - especially any increases, decreases, or other stitches used.

The lady selling the pattern, used Ella Rae to crochet her bee. I looked on Joann Fabric, and they don't sell Ella Rae yarn.

I googled that brand of yarn, it comes in many yarn weights.  http://www.yarn.com/webs-knitting-crochet-yarns-ella-rae/?gclid=CLDw2ZrB4bcCFUQ6Qgody2wA8g   Do the pattern specify which Ella Rae Yarn, so you can cross to a different brand in the same weight?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_weight Here is a guide to yarn weight definitions - I can't tell if you are in the US or where UK terminology is used, this link covers both. If you are in the US, the yarn label will usually show the weight with a little symbol of a skein of yarn, with a number in it - #4 is worsted weight, etc.

As Wheat also pointed out, the fiber content might be preferable in certain projects - she mentions fulling, which means she prefers wool--but acrylic is used quite a bit, too. Making a toy from wool and fulling it (shrinking on purpose) closes up the fabric so the stuffing doesn't show.  If you use acrylic, you just need to make sure your stitches aren't too loose--and don't overstuff.  (note - I didn't thorougly research Ella Rae, but everything on the WEBS site was not acrylic)

You may need to use a different hook size than called out in the pattern to get a tight fabric, everyone's stitch tension is a little different.

Something else to be aware of, since I mentioned US and UK terms earlier - we speak a different language  :eek  Chain and slip stitch mean the same thing, but UK terms do not use SC, and 'promote' the US terms by 1 level

US SC = UK DC

US DC = UK TR

US HDC = UK HTR  etc.  There is a post in the reference section which talks about this in more detail but this is probably sufficient for most toy patterns.

The lady selling the pattern, used Ella Rae to crochet her bee. I looked on Joann Fabric, and they don't sell Ella Rae yarn.

Do you have a link to the pattern  site?  I see to remember several Amiguri pattern authors using  Ella Rae Phoenix, a 100% worsted weight Pima Cotton.  Phoenix happens to be one of my favorite yarns for all sorts of projects including Braiding and Macrame.  There are also wool and various blends in the Ella Rae product line. 

You can see the colors we have in stock at:

http://itsalljuststring.com/yarns-600/phoenix-king-tut-651/

You may also find my label cross ref chart helpful

http://itsalljuststring.com/pages/yarn-label-xref-pv-c0-11.html

For the records, I was thinking of a blend - the Ella Rae Amity - a 75 Acrylic/25% Wool blend that lends itself nicely to Amiguri.

Amity has been a favority of mine, but unhappily no longer has the huge color range it once did.

Fulling, which nets a different but related finish to your fabric is not felting it is mostly soaking the fibers to allow them "expand" a bit which leads to a "tighter" fabric in your project.  Fulling is an important first step in the fulling process but is also a finishing technique on its own.  Unlike Felting where most if not all of your stitch detail is lost, Fulling "fills in the gaps" but when done properly will keep all the work and effort put into texture stitches like cables clearly defined.

As a KFI retailer, I will be happy to answer any specific questions you might have about their brands, but you are correct - they will not be found in Michaels, JoAnn's and similar chain stores.

Likely TMI, but thought it best to clarify my original thoughts.

I use Red Heart or I Love This Yarn and I usually use a G Hook. I crochet so tightly that my hands hurt so other people may use an F hook instead. Mostly all I crochet are toys.

Archived