Topdown Seamless Crochet (Doris Chan) CAL

Amy

Have you always wanted to make a fabulous crochet garment for yourself, but you've been too afraid to get started? Doris Chan has the perfect answer for you in her new video workshop from Interweave/F+W, Topdown Seamless Crochet with Doris Chan. This two-hour workshop walks you through creating a sweater that will fit you perfectly as Doris teaches you how to add bust, waist, and hip shaping.

The workshop is available on DVD or as a video download in regular or HD. Along with the workshop, you'll get a free PDF for the Kolika top.

TopdownSeamlessCrochet.jpg

Just in case you think you might need even more help than you'll find on the video, join us for a Crochet-along here on Crochetville. I'll be making myself a top, and I hope you'll join along with me. I'll post a picture of the yarn I've purchased in just a little bit. Keep scrolling to see yarn requirements.

Order Your Video Workshop/Pattern:

You can get the Topdown Seamless Crochet with Doris Chan workshop video and the Kolika pattern here:

Order a DVD, $24.95

Download workshop in HD, $21.95

Download workshop in standard resolution, $19.95

Yarn Requirements:

Purchase at least the following amounts of DK weight (light #3) yarn:

XS, to fit 32" bust: 800 yards for typical sweater with sleeves; 1000 yards for a longer tunic or dress with sleeves

S, to fit 36" bust: 900 yards for typical sweater with sleeves; 1100 yards for a longer tunic or dress with sleeves

M, to fit 40" bust: 1000 yards for typical sweater with sleeves; 1200 yards for a longer tunic or dress with sleeves

L, to fit 44" bust: 1100 yards for typical sweater with sleeves; 1300 yards for a longer tunic or dress with sleeves

XL, to fit 48" bust: 1200 yards for typical sweater with sleeves; 1400 yards for a longer tunic or dress with sleeves

2XL, to fit 52" bust: 1300 yards for typical sweater with sleeves; 1600 yards for a longer tunic or dress with sleeves

3XL, to fit 56" bust: 1400 yards for typical sweater with sleeves; 1700 yards for a longer tunic or dress with sleeves

Disclaimer: These links go through our affiliate account on the Interweave website. If you purchase through these links, Crochetville will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.

Here is the yarn I chose to make my top: DK-weight Sunseeker by Cascade Yarns in Color 01, Purple. It's one of their brand-new yarns: 47% cotton, 48% acrylic, and 5% metallic.

Yes, the light reflecting off the metallic really does look like iridescent green, at least in this light.

IMG_0925.JPG

When are we starting this? I am excited. I had bought the pattern and video, and I have the right amount of dk yarn in stash. I am going to swatch and then I am ready to roll. Hooray! I have had a summer color of Kiko Karabella cotton yarn i. Stash for two years. It is still wrapped in plastic.

I'll be starting mine this weekend. I leave next Friday for TNNA, so I won't be getting anything at all done that weekend. :)

Post pics of your yarn if you can!

I think I will start mine then this weekend as well. I have to play with gauge I think. I hope this yarn will even work. But I am hopeful because I have a lot of things that go with this colorway for summer. I hope my yarn photo works. Thanks for starting this. I love Doris Chan patterns. Hope to see you in Indianapolis. . post-50814-0-65032500-1371154124_thumb.jpg

I am going to be hunting for a different yarn. The yarn I posted yesterday did not guage well at all. I fact, my husband thought the guage swatch looked like something that came out of the washer as a string from something. And while he is not a yarn savant, I think he was right. So now I have to think of something else. So I may be running a little later on this crochet along than I thought. Still planning to do it though. Really want to make this, and would like the help of others.

• 2 weeks later...

Got new yarn. As soon as I get home from vacation I am starting the sweater. I made the gauge work out. I have to go down to G hook. I always have to go down a size with a Doris Chan pattern. It just seems to be a given. Love this yarn-Southwick by Valley Yarns in Ginger.

post-50814-0-66462300-1372196704_thumb.jpg

Mine is going well. I started last Monday, July 1st. I was behind too, but caught up due to some crappy weekend weather. I have watched the video over and over during the bust rows segment. It fits just great. Follow the video, and rewind whatever you need. I am about 6 rows below the armholes join.

ok I ordered the HD download.  

Amy I love that yarn!  I am going to check here locally and see if my Craft Warehouse might be carrying it.  The only store around here that carries Cascade

I've been flipping back and forth about buying the video, and I decided to get it. 

Probably won't start on the sweater for a while.  I'm going to Indianapolis next week for the Knit and Crochet Show, and I'll probably try to look for a yarn there. 

Or I may see if the Cascade yarn is at my LYS tomorrow.  I'm off work tomorrow, but DH also took the day off.  So I need to sneak out on my own. 

Decisions, decisions.  Can't wait to view the video and start this.  :D

I guess I am the farthest along with this sweater. It is going very well. My bust added rows made it fit perfectly, and I am really pleased with the progress I will be adding the sleeves next, as I am finished with the basic body of the sweater. I did not taper for the waist shaping, and I like mine to be more t-shirt shaped. I am going to CGOA in Indianapolis, so I will finish this when I get back. I like the stitch pattern on this a lot. It is easy.

post-50814-0-40042900-1374065063_thumb.jpg

I was supposed to go to Indianapolis too.  Unfortunately, blood clots in my leg and lung sent me to the hospital for a week  :(

I'm OK now; got out today.  :)  Spent a lot of time on the sweater.  Too much.  I had to frog nearly the entire yoke because it looked wonky.  I had an increase somewhere where I shouldn't have. Guess I shouldn't try crocheting when I'm feeling woozy.  (Which I was the couple of days prior to my collapse last Tuesday).

I'm caught up now, and I just completed the armholes.  I think  I'm going to work in pattern for a few rows before shaping the bust.  I don't think I'm going to do much, if any, waist shaping.   

Hope you feel better, LadyBeBop. I started my bust increase 2rows/1pattern set like Doris said to, and it fit perfectly. I have a large bust and I was very pleased with the result. I did not taper anything else, until I got to the sleeves. I am almost done with the sweater. It fits well. Have a lot of ends to weave to finish. I did the shell edging instead of the others and I like it. I will post pictures when I get rid of the strings hanging.

Indy was fun. Classes were good, and shopping was great. I got some great yarns. I have been the only one home much of the week, so I got a lot of crocheting done, and it was easy to watch the video as I went along.

This is a done sweater. It still has to be blocked. Yesterday, I made a duct tape dummy of my body, and I tried it on. Fits great. My friend likes the sweater so much, that she's trying to get me to make her one. I think i will, if she hems my pants for me. She sews beautifully. Really had fun with the sweater. Cannot wait to wear it.

post-50814-0-04391400-1375385877_thumb.jpg

Looks good. I decided to work on the sleeves, and they're done. :) I just did the simple single crochet edge on them. I tried the scallops for a few stitches and I didn't like how they looked. Single crochet looks cool.

Hope I have enough yarn. I'm making the 3X size and it called for 1,400 yards. I bought the last six hanks of Cascade Sunseeker in crimson at my LYS. At 237 yards a hank, that's 1,422 yards. However, I made the sleeves a little shorter than what the pattern called for. I only did the sleeve repeats twice instead of three times. i wanted the shorter sleeves anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lot of yarn left and I made the 2x. I made the sleeves shorter than shown but the length of my regular good tshirts. I think you will have enough. I ended up liking the shells finish, but I think the other looks good too. I did the three repeats twice and then was done. I think I maybe should have tapered a little more. But the fit is not unlike a tshirt, as I said. I am anxious to see how your's turned out.

Archived