have a little extra something at every color change..help plz.

MamawNaNa

Question

I am making a afghan it is from a graph. My problem is when I change my thread, I have a little something (yarn) extra that is showing up. This is what I am doing, when I have a color change, the stitch be4 the change, I get to the last portion of that stitch, and instead of continuing with that color, I drop it and then , I finish it with my new color...It has several changes in it, so I have them rolled in balls for the changes. i can't carry the yarn...black and yellow. Is there a trick I am missing? I have tried to look for video tutorials with no luck. I have tried holding the yarn on the wrong side, then on the right side, and I still have that little extra something showing . Anyone that can help me tyvm!!!!

Jeannie

12 answers to this question

That just kinda happens with color changes.  I usually go over the finished picture with an embroidery type stitch to cover it up.  Honestly - I don't think it'll matter much if you hold the yarn to the front or the back.  The first time you wash it - it'll end up in the middle.

When I work in rows of multiple colors, I make the color change in the last step of the last st of the old color, and finish the st with the new color. Then, I flip the old color strand to the front of my work, which will be the back when I come back down the next row. I do this for all colors along the row.

Now, I just read Laurinda's method, which is almost the same, except she lines up the old strand even better by having it closer to the top of the sts of the working row. I like it.

What you SHOULD be doing - especially working with a graph - is to totally complete the stitch with the color not finish the stitch with a new color - yours are black and yellow.  So totally finish a black stitch - drop the yarn.  When you pick up the yarn to start the yellow stitch, twist it around the dropped black yarn so that it doesn't leave a space.

When you work with a graph you NEVER do half a stitch with a different color. 

Trust me, I've been making picture afghans a loooong time - granted I make them in tunesian and you're doing single crochet, but the concept is exactly the same.  You'll be much happier doing what I said and you'll have a very clean looking afghan.

What you SHOULD be doing - especially working with a graph - is to totally complete the stitch with the color not finish the stitch with a new color - yours are black and yellow.  So totally finish a black stitch - drop the yarn.  When you pick up the yarn to start the yellow stitch, twist it around the dropped black yarn so that it doesn't leave a space.

Trust me, I've been making picture afghans a loooong time - granted I make them in tunesian and you're doing single crochet, but the concept is exactly the same.  You'll be much happier doing what I said and you'll have a very clean looking afghan.

This is a new method to me; I'll be trying it out.  Thanks for the tip.

ok, I am preparing to change my method . Will let you know how this morning goes...ty everybody who is trying to help me. tyvm

I don't understand what "When you pick up the yarn to start the yellow stitch, twist it around the dropped black yarn so that it doesn't leave a space"  exactly means.

If you are sc, you do not need to twist it. Complete your stitch, pick up your new colorand pull it through your loop on your hook,now your loop is uour new color, grap the old color and tighten it, give your new color a little tug too, now crochet as usual.

pull your old color do

Archived