Large Granny Square Blanket

Crochet Cricket

Question

10 answers to this question

You probably miscounted or did something wrong while you were making it.  There really is no way to fix it properly.  You should really rip it back to where you made the mistake.

Can you post a picture?  If I can see what you did wrong, maybe you can fix it without too much ripping out = the very least I can tell you where you went wrong.

I turn every round when I work granny squares.  If not - they lean to the left.

If it's more than just leaning you may have missed some stitches.  Are you working a (3dc, ch3, 3dc) in each corner?

Oh yes RoseRed I think that is what is happening. It is all leaning to the right on mine kinda making it seem off center. I have went back and double checked it and can't find a mistake. I will try turning and see how that works. Thank you everyone for the responses!

sometimes with thoes bigger grannys, I turn every other row, and I also, usually don't put the chain one or two between the clusters, this helps the wonkyness a bit too, but every other row works out for me quite  well too.

I was working a large granny once (it was done a little differently in that the stitches were individual dc's rather than groups of dc's); but I also had a "not so square" issue. It turns out for me that I wasn't joining in the right spot. I was supposed to join at the top of the turn ch, but I was joining in the first "real" dc. As long as I was making sure to join in the correct spot, the leaning was gone.

Hope this helps.

~CheVon, aka The Stitch Fixer

Thank you for all the replies. I am going to keep that granny square blanket that is leaning a little and turn it into a lovey since I didn't make it very big because of the leaning. I am going to try turning every other row on my next large granny blanket. But since this was a request from a client I decided to do a granny stripe instead for the moment and it is coming out lovely. Have a look. Tell me whatcha think.

http://crochetcricket.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/modern-granny-stripe-baby-blanket/

This one is coming out super straight and I love it. I am sure I will do better next time of the large granny but until this I am having a blast on the granny stripe.

I had the same problem with a couple of afgans that I did some time back, but just figured that I have skipped some stitches, etc. along the way and since they were for me, I let it go.  But, after reading this, I see that I am probably guilty of each and every thing mentioned above, lol!  I need to make another one for my brother for a wedding gift and will remember all of this.  Thanks for the pointers, ladies!

Crochet Cricket, I just love the Attic 24 blogs!  Lucy is always so cheerful and has some great tutorials and patterns. And thanks for the blog roll.  It has helped me to get into some really good US blogs (I seemed to only be finding them in the UK).

Sherry

Archived