size change

tinlizzy

Question

I want to change a crochet pattern from an infant to a preemie size.  Do I use a smaller hook or a thinner (weight wise) yarn or both or can it even be done?  Thanks for any help you can give me.  My email is agape@bak.rr.com

3 answers to this question

Yes to both.  Your best way to test is to make some "guages": by making 3 or 4 inches of the pattern.  The yarn size or hook size that is smaller is to one to go with.  It will require a lot of ripping out, but you will get practice as you find the right size.

Thank you.  I've been crocheting for 65 years and have never made one of those test blocks.  I taught myself.  I look at a pattern and then just do it.  From now on I will make test patches.  Probably will solve a lot of problems, but will certainly cut down on all the things I make and give away, they being too large or too small due to no test patch.  LOL  Thanks, again  TinLizzy

Yes to both.  Your best way to test is to make some "guages": by making 3 or 4 inches of the pattern.  The yarn size or hook size that is smaller is to one to go with.  It will require a lot of ripping out, but you will get practice as you find the right size.

Since this is a public forum I'd advise removing your e-mail address from your first post :)

http://www.heartfeltangels.com/Sizes.html

http://www.fibergypsy.com/common/children.shtml

Above is a chart of baby body measurements, the first for preemie-newborn, the second for infants/children ; you'd want to add a bit for ease for the garment.

This will take some math, I'm afraid, but you can calculate the gauge you'll need if you know the measurement of the original pattern, and the measurement you're trying to attain.  Here is an example just making up numbers, but it shows the method:

Suppose for example the pattern you want to alter is designed for a 20" finished chest measurement, with a gauge of 5 stitches=1 inch, so the body would be a total of 100 stitches around the chest (minus button bands if it's a cardigan, this might get complicated if it's a wraparound kimono style etc).  Don't forget if the body measurement is x, you will want to add a little for ease.

Suppose  you want to make a 14" finished chest sweater, following the above pattern.  20 divided by 14 is 0.7.  So, that 5 stitch gauge should now only measure 0.7 inches.  Normally you wouldn't make such a tiny gauge swatch (it's hard to accurately measure)  -- 10 stitches=1.4", 20 stitches=2.8", 30 stitches=4.2", etc.  You would need to find a combination of yarn and hook that will get you there.  It's important not to round off the fractions of an inch, because it can throw you off by INCHES when you multiply those fractions all the way around the garment.

Having said all that, here are some free preemie patterns, maybe something will be close to what you need without the math

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&view=captioned_thumbs&query=preemie&availability=free&sort=best

Archived