tambob6259

Calling all Crochetville Friends located in Phoenix AZ area

Hello Crochetville Friends,

I recently joined Stitches from the Heart, http://www.stitchesfromtheheart.org/, as a volunteer area rep for the Phoenix, AZ area. This wonderful organization provides crocheted and knitted hats, booties, blankets, etc for babies in hospitals across the country.

If anyone knows of any LYS or groups that may be interested in helping, could you please pm me?

If you are located in the Phoenix AZ area ( I am in Tolleson ) and would be interested in getting together once or twice a month to work on projects for Stitches, please let me know.

If you would like to just drop off ( or have me pick up ) items, that would be great as well.

I'm fairly new to this area and work from home, so my contacts are somewhat limited. :)

I am also new to doing this type of thing and could use all the help I can get.

That being said, any and all help, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Welcome to the Phoenix Area I am just down the street in Peoria...Just wanted to pop in and say hi...  I crochet for shawls for Hospice of the Valley...

Welcome to the Phoenix Area I am just down the street in Peoria...Just wanted to pop in and say hi...  I crochet for shawls for Hospice of the Valley...

Thank you for the warm welcome! My husband and I love it here. Peoria is really close...my mom is in El Mirage, which is even closer ( I think ) lol

I'm North Phoenix but I'd love to meet in the middle somewhere. There is a group that meet at the Surprise library on a weekly basis, that may be a good start. 

Hi Tammy - I'll see what I can do.

I am in Peoria too.  Can you give me the info on the group that meets in Surprise?

Hi Tammy - I'll see what I can do.

I am in Peoria too.  Can you give me the info on the group that meets in Surprise?

Hi Denise,

I'm don't have the info about the group in Surprise yet. Susan has that.

I did, however, meet a group of really nice ladies this last Sunday at The Corner Bakery in Glendale (?) on 83rd and Paradise. I found them on meetup.com ( sounds like a dating site, doesn't it? lol ) The name of the group is West Valley Coffee and Crochet. We will be getting together this Saturday 6/15 at 2pm at Paradise Bakery at 99th Ave and McDowell in Avondale. You're welcome to join us there. They are all very nice and made me feel quite welcome.

Hope to see you there! ( It would be great if you could come as well, Susan :-)  )

Edited by tambob6259

Hey Tammy,

My car kind of blew itself up on the freeway last Friday, so I was in no position to join up anything on Saturday.

I guess I can call the Surprise library and see if they know anything about the group that meets there. 

I finally got  chance to look at the web page you liked above.  So many good organizations out there - - so little time. My mom recently passed away but she worked with a group that made several thousand quilts every year for different organizations in Phoenix.  The group has since fallen apart because the members were getting unable to do the quilting because of age, illness or whatever.  I always wonder about the void they left in the charity blanket needs in Metro Phoenix!

Denise

Hey Tammy,

My car kind of blew itself up on the freeway last Friday, so I was in no position to join up anything on Saturday.

I guess I can call the Surprise library and see if they know anything about the group that meets there. 

I finally got  chance to look at the web page you liked above.  So many good organizations out there - - so little time. My mom recently passed away but she worked with a group that made several thousand quilts every year for different organizations in Phoenix.  The group has since fallen apart because the members were getting unable to do the quilting because of age, illness or whatever.  I always wonder about the void they left in the charity blanket needs in Metro Phoenix!

Denise

Hi Denise,

I'm sorry to hear about your car. The freeway has got to be one of the worse places to break down. If you find anything out about the group in Surprise, I would love to hear about it.

I also make purple hats for the click for babies campaign every year. Their website can be found here: http://www.clickforbabies.org/

They partner with hospitals across the country to raise awareness about shaken baby syndrome. Right now I send my hats to Randalls Childrens Hospital in Portland, OR. We used to live in OR and we have a niece that works in the NICU at Randalls, so at least there is a connection. I keep checking to see if any of the hospitals in the Phoenix area or Denver area ( my daughter lives in Denver ) partner up with click for babies, but so far...not yet. I would love to be able to keep the items local. :-)

I really like making the baby hats because they finish up sooo quickly and are so stinkin cute!

I hope to hear from you soon, stay safe.

Hi Tammy,

I never did find out anything about the group that meets at the Surprise library.  A friend told me that she did go to a "class" at a Michael's store where she met some lovely people and I am going to join her this Saturday.  There is an "instructor", but no formal teaching.  She is apparently just there to help people with problems they have and to demonstrate new techniques.  It is from 3pm until 9pm.  So I am going to chek it out.  I don't like paying $5, but just once won't hurt me!