Tulip Etimo and Clover Amour hooks

I've recently started using these hooks with ergonomic handles and really like them. They can be a little hard to find in stores; Joanns does have the Amours in at least some stores (though not on the website for some reason), and I think I have seen one Etimo in an LYS.  For anyone who is contemplating buying them, I thought some photos might be helpful.  The gray handle is the Etimo, and the green is the Amour.

post-10356-0-91376500-1368558940_thumb.jpg

post-10356-0-57780000-1368558950_thumb.jpg

post-10356-0-48386000-1368558955_thumb.jpg

I use a pencil hold and find the handle very comfortable, and my grip really loosens up when using these hooks.  I think I like the Etimos a bit better, as you can see the hook has a little bit of a yarn groove that I think is helpful.  I think the Etimo hook may be a bit more slick than the Amour.  But overall they are quite similar.  

And right now Knitpicks has a 40% off sale on some things, including sets of the Amour.  http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/tool-sale/amour-crochet-hook-set.html

I also recently bought an Etimo and an armour hook. I love them both but I think I like the Etimo better. I use a knife hold.

Edited because spell check doesn't like the word etimo.

I have both sets and love the Etimo ones best!  I use them more then any other hook I own.  I agree with the grip statement...I seem to be more relaxed and my hands don't get as tired.  I treated myself to a complete set about a year ago when it was on sale.

I have two Etimo hooks and one Amour, and I honestly love them all! I've been having problems with pain in my right wrist and a few fingers going numb when I crochet/play clarinet/type for long periods of time, so these ergo hooks are perfect for me. My Amour hook was a gift (a wonderful one, at that!) and bought the Etimo hooks from overstock.com.

ETA: I wish I wouldn't have looked at the set of Amour hooks that was posted above...now I REALLY want it! It is a good deal in the long run, since they're selling for $8/hook at my local Jo-Ann store.

wow, someday!! I use clover pretty much exclusively, except when i need a larger size, I don't think clover makes a k size, least I can't find one, lol So for anything k and over, i use the lucite hooks, in pretty colors. But I love the etimo hooks, and think they would help on crocheting for long periods of time, soooo someday, would love to try them out... :manyheart

If I had to choose I think the Amour would be more for me - because it seems most shaped like a Boye-type hook in that the "throat" of the hook is deeper to catch yarn. I hold a hook overhand and "scoop" yarn to stitch.

I was wondering though - is the Amour's grip handle soft and spongy - or firm plastic.

When I tried the Etimo - I was surprised that though it is easy to grip - it did not have any give to it under my thumb.

And for me that is what gets tired and needs to have a spongy soft place under it - so I use bamboo handle hooks with either a rubbery pencil grip cover over the thumb pad or I use the Susan Bates blue hook/needle covers - I cut them to size to fit over the thumb rest of my hooks - both these things are soft and "bouncy" to the touch - like a shock absorber for the thumb ;) 

Neither handle is spongy. they don't feel hard at all.  the best word I can think of is resilient, not sure if that helps much.  they are very easy to hold, the surface feels a little like rubber.  the handle doesnt compress when you put pressure on it.  but they are very relaxing to use.  I guess the shape of the handle and the rubbery surface allow a loose grip.  Also the hook shape works very easily, holds the yarn with little effort, enters the stitch easily, and doesn't catch on the stitch.    

I have one Etimo hook and found it was too narrow on the handle for me. The Amour hooks?.....Love them and have the set. They are pretty much what I use exclusively now. I can crochet for a few hours at a time and not have any hand fatigue or pain. The hooks also seem to glide with the yarn for me.

The Susan Bates bamboo handle hooks worked well for me for a few years but I find the cushioning on the Amour hooks just right.

Okay - so here's another question for you all that have these - is an Amour hook the same as the Crochet Dude hooks (Hobby Lobby has these)? They look almost identical.

His are not "spongy" handled either - just firm rubber.

I too found the Etimo hook handle too narrow - but then again I have big hands ;) 

The Crochet Dudes' hooks have more of a definition on the handle whereas the Amour are rounded more with only one flat area for the thumb. After crocheting for awhile, textures on hook handles get uncomfortable for me thus, why I went with the Amour's. The less textures, the better. Here's a close-up of one of Crochet Dude's.

Okay - so here's another question for you all that have these - is an Amour hook the same as the Crochet Dude hooks (Hobby Lobby has these)? They look almost identical.

His are not "spongy" handled either - just firm rubber.

I too found the Etimo hook handle too narrow - but then again I have big hands ;) 

Not sure I follow ReniC - by "textures" do you mean the raised writing on the handle where the thumb goes?

Or do you mean there are more flat areas around the handle that get tiring with long use?

Curious about this - and wondering if the roundness is what makes the Amour more comfy over time.

More ridges and "flat areas" as you stated. With arthritis in some of my finger joints, I have to be careful. I would love to see a Amour style hook with even a little bit larger handle. Whenever I come across the foam pencil grips I grabbed them as they are perfect for me- no matter the brand of hooks. I even put them on some of my Amour hooks.  ;)

Not sure I follow ReniC - by "textures" do you mean the raised writing on the handle where the thumb goes?

Or do you mean there are more flat areas around the handle that get tiring with long use?

Curious about this - and wondering if the roundness is what makes the Amour more comfy over time.

wow, someday!! I use clover pretty much exclusively, except when i need a larger size, I don't think clover makes a k size, least I can't find one, lol So for anything k and over, i use the lucite hooks, in pretty colors. But I love the etimo hooks, and think they would help on crocheting for long periods of time, soooo someday, would love to try them out... :manyheart

Clover used to make a "Reflections" series of hooks in plastic that were like the clover brown hooks, but in color.  They seemed to be well made and smooth and easy to hook with.

Crochet Dude has a series of hooks that I have really liked and they com in larger sizes

I have two sets of Clover hooks, lots of Boye hooks, one Amour hook, and six custom-made Susan Bates polymer clay hooks.  I cannot crochet well with the Boye aluminum hooks no matter how long I have tried.  They will soon be given away.  I love my Clover hooks, but recently I have needed something a little wider so I don't grip so tightly.  The Amour hook is very comfy.  Thing is that I just received an order from someone, and those polymer clay hooks have been wonderful to work with.  I've seen online that more people are selling the clay hooks with indentations on them where the thumb would go and where the fingers would go if you hold it like a knife.  They seem promising.  Mine are just cylindrical but wider around than the Clover hooks.  It's something you may want to try.  Find out first if you like Boye or Susan Bates hooks because it can make a difference.  You don't want to pay for something you are not going to use.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a set of the Amour.  I love them.  For the pencil grip they are just great.  Your grip relaxes, because you do not have to worry about the hook being slippery.

I got mine from Amazon, where they were way cheaper than anywhere else.  I did find I had to make a new case for them, as they did not fit in the store bought ones.  Any excuse. :D 

• 2 weeks later...

I use Susan bates hook and just love them. But I just might have to try these. I make the clay hooks myself. I really love doing it. I thought about trying the clay on bamboo hooks. Does any one crochet with bamboo hooks?

Archived