Persephone Shawl CAL ~ Join anytime!

tiffer93

After the recent shawl voting thread that Amy started, the shawl I hoped would win, didn't.

PERSEPHONE 

It's a free pattern on Ravelry!

This is the shawl I am going to make for entry into my local county fair this year, so I thought it might be fun to start a CAL for anyone else who might want to make it. I hope to make a couple more this year as well for Christmas gifts & the like. 

No time limits, no deadlines, just enjoy making this beautiful shawl. Even though it calls for lace weight yarn, you can make it in any weight you want, just adjust the hook size accordingly. :) I'd love to see all of the variations! It works up rather quickly and the 2 row repeat makes it easy to remember what you're doing and where you're at if you have to stop & pick it up later. So simple and absolutely beautiful results! 

I am going to make it in Madelinetosh Tosh Lace in Terrarium (a green variegated). 

Hope many of you decide to join in. :ghug 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-18684-0-51591400-1367939231_thumb.jpg

Here's the first 8 rows of my shawl! It's only 2.5" long from top to bottom right now, but from here on is a 2 row repeat so even though it is going to take a while, it will be pretty! I love the yarn, it's a merino wool. 

Tiffany ~ how do you think it would do with chenille? I have some chenille yarn here that I have been wanting to use, but so far it's still sitting in the box it was shipped to me in. I think this shawl would be really pretty worked in it, but I wanted to ask you since you've already used the pattern once. The chenille is fairly thin - I would say a 3, so sport or DK weight. (If I have my number chart memorized correctly...)

Christel, I think it would be gorgeous in a chenille, especially a thin weight like that. The original calls for a D hook, but you can use whatever hook gives you the amount of space between the stitches as you like. Make a swatch of the first 8 rows to give you an idea :) 

It's a beautiful shawl. Since I already have the yarn and everything, I think I'll go ahead and start it. I'm not sure how soon I'll get it finished because I have other projects that have deadlines and need to get finished on time. I can work on this a little bit at a time, though.

So count me in!!!  :D

Woohoo! No worries, there isn't a deadline or any of that. Just a relaxing place to share your progress & pictures! 

Hi Tiffany and all!  I'm thinking of giving it a go, but all I have on hand (that isn't claimed for another project) in the correct quantity is RHSS dark orchid.  I looked thru all the projects on Rav and it appeared that everyone used a lighter weight yarn.  The closest I saw was CSS, which I have some, but it would be a close call.  What do you think? I just can't afford to buy more right now, otherwise I'd be placing an order pronto! :lol

You know, I have some RHSS here that I just might work up a swatch since it isn't getting used otherwise. I think it would be nice & warm, plus faster because of the thicker yarn/bigger hook combo... Fewer repeats are never bad. I say give it a shot Ann! I'll make another along with you. I'm going to stripe mine, big blocks of 3 colors.. anyone have a guess what 3 colors?! LOL 

I would guess pink is one of the colors- with probably some black and gray thrown in!! LOL

I voted in the other shawl CAL for the Graceful Shell, with the Persophone being my 2nd choice. The more I look at this one, the more I like it--I think I have some yarn that might work for this- Decisions, decisions!!!!

I would guess pink is one of the colors- with probably some black and gray thrown in!! LOL

I voted in the other shawl CAL for the Graceful Shell, with the Persophone being my 2nd choice. The more I look at this one, the more I like it--I think I have some yarn that might work for this- Decisions, decisions!!!!

Very close! But no black.. white instead. LOL You're right about the pink & gray tho! 

You know, I have some RHSS here that I just might work up a swatch since it isn't getting used otherwise. I think it would be nice & warm, plus faster because of the thicker yarn/bigger hook combo... Fewer repeats are never bad. I say give it a shot Ann! I'll make another along with you. I'm going to stripe mine, big blocks of 3 colors.. anyone have a guess what 3 colors?! LOL 

Ok, I'm in then!  I'll start tomorrow.  Criminal Minds has just started and I wouldn't be able to concentrate, lol.

Those are the colors that I would guess, lol.  Come on and join us.  You know that you want to, lol.

Very close! But no black.. white instead. LOL You're right about the pink & gray tho! 

LOL, I bet it will be beautiful!  Can't wait to see it!

Ok, I'm outa here to watch CM!  See you tomorrow...

Ok, I'm in then!  I'll start tomorrow.  Criminal Minds has just started and I wouldn't be able to concentrate, lol.

Those are the colors that I would guess, lol.  Come on and join us.  You know that you want to, lol.

OMG...  I am going to have to turn on the TV! That's my favorite! 

I love this pattern. I had a few false starts, but I seem to have the hang of it now. ONce in a while I forget if I am on row 8 or 9, but that is an easy fix. I am using a 100% pima cotton that I got WEBBS just about this time last year. I started to make a shawl with it, but it got put to the wayside as other projects came along. And, just this week I got the yarn out to start it again, and I can't find the pattern. Tiffany you saved me! Again.

If I can find my camera I will post a pic.

Hi there, this was also my second choice also, but I'm going to give my first choice a try first, then maybe join in here.

LOL- You twisted my arm! I'll start this, but probably not till the weekend. I have a 'team building dinner' after work tomorrow .

Hi there, this was also my second choice also, but I'm going to give my first choice a try first, then maybe join in here.

>I voted in the other shawl CAL for the Graceful Shell, with the Persophone being my 2nd choice. The more I look at this one, the more I like it--I think I have some yarn that might work for this- Decisions, decisions!!!!

Hi there Cheeria! How's things with you and your grandsons? i have 2 grandsons now- one is 22 mos and the little guy is almost 2 months! I'm going to start this one first and then maybe do the Graceful shell second!

This is beautiful! I'll join, but it will be a few days before I can start it.

This is beautiful! I'll join, but it will be a few days before I can start it.

Fabulous! No rush Braxxi, this is a casual CAL ~ join in when you feel the need! No deadlines or any other requirement, except have fun! 

Question... the pattern calls for a D hook but lists the size as 4.25mm - which is a G-ish. Typo ya think?

You know, I never noticed that! I think my first time around when I made it for Patty, I used the G hook... Now I am using an F for this lace weight yarn... Going to shower & then get back to work on it. Lots of rows to go! 

Happy Saturday everyone! I haven't worked on the lace weight version since the other night... tsk tsk I need to get to that, but soooo many things going on right now it's hard to find crochet time for myself. LOL 

But I did start the shawl with some Caron Simply Soft I had lying around that was supposed to be for my Mom's birthday/Mother's Day (oops, late, I know!) so here is a preview of it ~ I used an L hook:

post-18684-0-22240600-1368293330_thumb.jpg

That's the first 8 rows... and it measures just shy of 6" long from top to bottom! Big difference than with the lace weight, that's for sure! 

I want to make this shawl at some point but my husband is having a fit because I haven't been working on his blanket.  :lol Maybe if I work on it for a couple of weeks I can sneak this shawl in.... lol

Well I ripped out all that I had done. I noticed a continued mistake on each row. I couldn't ignore it. I am using an F hook now and like the looser look of it. I still can't find my camera. I am afraid I left it a the house where my aunt's 90th birthday party was held.  :cry 

Archived