Gloves in the round - rounds getting wider!

Jackie_S

Question

Hi, I am crocheting my first pattern in the round (my second ever project).  As I work on the pattern - currently about 10 rows, it is getting wider than the foundation row.  It is a pair of gloves, starting at the wrist, so I am concerned that it will be too large and baggy by the time I get to the hand.  I don't mind it being loose, but I would like it to stay on my hand! The pattern looks quite loose fitting.  Do I need to crochet tighter, or will it just all be ok in the end?  I am not sure about doing much more until I understand if it will be ok as I currently work on it or if I need to change something.  The hook is 2.5mm and the yarn is 4ply (fingering weight).  Thank you in advance for any response to help me learn  :)

6 answers to this question

Greetings and Salutations,

It is also possible that you are crocheting into the ss that joins each round and/ or the chain that you are creating at the beginning of the round. I have seen this cause an increase for some people as well. The easiest way to fix is to count your stitches at the end of each row and/or use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of each stitch. :yarn NiYa

I agree with Ankh, or at least I've been crocheting for decades but I mark the sl st so I remember to skip it.

The only other thing I can think of is often the first row into the chain is a bit tighter than the rest, if your stitch count is right this might be a factor.

Thank you all for your replies :-)  I have decided it is a tension issue - getting looser - as my work is a bit more holey than at the beginning.  I am not using a slip stitch but rather going round and round.  I will try and crochet a bit tighter, but I'm a little worried about this as the hook is quite fine for me, and the wool is fluffy-ish so not a good combination for fine work.  But I will give it a go and update you how things look!  Thanks once again, and wishing everyone a productive and crochet filled day :-)

Have you counted your stitches? Are you increasing when you aren't supposed to?

Your tensions could be getting looser or you've added stitches.

Greetings and Salutations,

It is also possible that you are crocheting into the ss that joins each round and/ or the chain that you are creating at the beginning of the round. I have seen this cause an increase for some people as well. The easiest way to fix is to count your stitches at the end of each row and/or use a stitch marker to mark the beginning of each stitch. :yarn NiYa

I agree with Ankh, or at least I've been crocheting for decades but I mark the sl st so I remember to skip it.

The only other thing I can think of is often the first row into the chain is a bit tighter than the rest, if your stitch count is right this might be a factor.

Thank you all for your replies :-)  I have decided it is a tension issue - getting looser - as my work is a bit more holey than at the beginning.  I am not using a slip stitch but rather going round and round.  I will try and crochet a bit tighter, but I'm a little worried about this as the hook is quite fine for me, and the wool is fluffy-ish so not a good combination for fine work.  But I will give it a go and update you how things look!  Thanks once again, and wishing everyone a productive and crochet filled day :-)

Archived