Which size to buy?

tiniree

Question

I made a throw for my Dad this past Xmas using a Boye aluminum hook size 9.00mm "N".  I also just noticed that  have a size Boye "M" that also says 9.00mm.

I loved the gauge of that hook for that throw.  I'd like to make another one, but would like to try it with a bamboo hook.  The brand Chiagoo says their "N" hook is a 10.00mm.  For a 9.00mm I would need to buy an "M".

I am soooo confused.  Since I have an "M" & "N" by Boye that says they are both 9.00mm, and the bamboo hooks say an "M" is 9.00mm & an "N" is 10.00mm, which should I buy??

I guess the Boye sizing has me confused as to which company is correct????

6 answers to this question

My boye M says M/13-9mm and looks lareger to me than my boye N-9mm.  I think the number 13 must mean something.  Hopefully someone will know.  Does your M have a 13 on it?  Mary

Wow!  I just went and looked and yes, it does say M/13-9.00mm on it.  What the heck does that mean???

I like any large hook for afghans, makes it go faster.  Another thing is the tip of the hook or for me it is.  I like boye because the tip is not as slanty as susan bates.  For me I snag the yarn terrible when using a susan bates hook because of that slanty tip and with boye I don't so if  that matters to you check what the tip is like on the bamboo hooks.  The left is boye and the right is susan bates to show you what I mean.  Mary

post-7272-0-62202100-1367360838_thumb.jpg

To answer your question succinctly,  Both are correct.

To go a tiny bit further,

Because there is no required standard,

and becaase over the years pretty much ALL the metal hook makers have made changes in Letter/MM correlations. 

You may find my chart helpful - it is at:  http://wheatcarr.com/crochet/wheats-aluminum-crochet-hook-cross-reference.php

Currently if you need a 10mm you will probably need to consider wood.  The current Boye N is 9.00m

Hope This Helps

I know they make plastic ones in Bates.  The bright colored from RH ones snag.  The white plastic Bates ones glide really well.

I have a couple metal Bates that are that large and they're just too heavy to work with.

I don't think I've ever seen a Boye head that large except for the plastic Q hook.

Wood hooks are great.  My own preference is to stay away from bamboo with acrylic yarn.  It's great for really slippery yarns.

Archived