Crochet-Along Challenge: Vote in Poll for Final Pattern Selection

Amy

FINAL Selection: CAL Challenge Shawl Pattern  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Select the shawl pattern listed below that you would most like us to do for the CAL Challenge. Links to patterns in first post of thread.

• Have a Heart
    • Lorelei
    • Simply Irresistible
    • Triangles
    • Oasis Wrap
    • Magnificent Mantle
    • French Blue
    • Persephone
    • Bowtie Pi
    • Graceful Shell

I got to work on the shawl some last night, but missed a couple of dc with the ch6s and had to rip out most of row 8.

If anyone has trouble with the cl count on row 8, the last inc-shell (right before the ending dc in top of turning ch) is missing from the instructions.

Thanks for the heads up!  I am just starting the shawl.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made it through 2 rows; I'm using an I hook and am making the row gauge, but not the stitch gauge.  I tried using a K hook; I just don't like that big of a hook unless I'm using a bulky yarn.

I also changed the first row to fsc instead of chains; I like the stretchiness & look of fsc much better than chain stitches. 

I'll see how big it is after working 9 rows; if it's not big enough I'll just add more rows.  :tup

I love the fsc idea.  Did you make 53 fsc or 50?  I think I'll do 50 since you start at the 50th ch and then chain 3 to start row 1.  I love the yarn I purchased today.  I just hope it's enough.

I got it finished this afternoon. It ended up the proper size with an L hook and Vanna's Choice yarn, but certainly doesn't look like the pattern pictures. I like it over all, but I'm not sure I'll use the pattern again.

The only change I made was taking the border single crochets all the way around the shawl, putting six in the ch6 area and one in the top of each cl.

post-43634-0-78225900-1368576645_thumb.jpg

I got it finished this afternoon. It ended up the proper size with an L hook and Vanna's Choice yarn, but certainly doesn't look like the pattern pictures. I like it over all, but I'm not sure I'll use the pattern again.

The only change I made was taking the border single crochets all the way around the shawl, putting six in the ch6 area and one in the top of each cl.

attachicon.gifgraceful shells shawl.JPG

I think it's beautiful!

Your shawl is beautiful!

I finished mine too! The colors are not the very good in the picture but I used Simply Soft in Sunset and I love it. I used a little more than 2 skeins of yarn.

attachicon.gifgraceful shell shawl.jpg

What a gorgeous color!  I might make a second one with ww next time.

Finished!!

attachicon.gif20130511_154221.jpg

I followed directions on another project on ravelry to add a 10th row. I ended up using jus over 2 skeinsof TLC Essentials in the brownberry colorway.

Very nice. 

I have to get back to mine soon.  My hands are on vacation again :(

attachicon.gifgraceful shells shawl.JPG

Turned out Great. Love it

I started my shawl with a pima cotton/bamboo blend.  It's already promising beautiful drape.  I just love the stitch definition it gives.

Oh My Such a gorgeous color. It is gonna be beautiful

Boy! This is turning out 'way shorter than I thought! More like a scarf, for sure. And since I am a very ample lady, probably more like a handkerchief. I think I'll end up giving it to one of my (thankfully!) less generously proportioned granddaughters.

I am on the second row, and am an experienced crocheter, but the directions on this one are very hard to follow as written. I think it is because the clusters term and shells term aren't very descriptive of what the usual ones are like. I will post a picture when I get further along. I can't wait to make some of the other patterns in this challenge!

Boy! This is turning out 'way shorter than I thought! More like a scarf, for sure. And since I am a very ample lady, probably more like a handkerchief. I think I'll end up giving it to one of my (thankfully!) less generously proportioned granddaughters.

I am on the second row, and am an experienced crocheter, but the directions on this one are very hard to follow as written. I think it is because the clusters term and shells term aren't very descriptive of what the usual ones are like. I will post a picture when I get further along. I can't wait to make some of the other patterns in this challenge!

Here is a link to someone's notes if you want to add two additional rows.  It's from Ravelry.  If you don't have an account, you just need to register for free, and then you can see the notes.  If you think you can comfortably do it, move up your hook size as well.  I didn't use an acrylic yarn because I wanted mine to get bigger when blocking.  I used a cotton/bamboo blend.  I just have to weave in the ends and soak in Eucalan.  I'll post pictures once it's dried, which I think will be this weekend.  I stopped at the 10th row.

Hope the link helps :)

I was slightly exaggerating when I said it was more like a handkerchief. I meant when drape over my ample frame. However I think I will add the extra rows. It is made in Red Heart's Soft, the original yarn called for, and the gauge is correct. It's just smaller than I expected anything with the name of "shawl" to be. I thought the picture must be draped funny or something. I'm having fun with it, though, and that's the point!

I finally got around to weaving in the ends and soaking it in Eucalan.  It's pinned and blocking.  I took these pictures, and they look great on the phone, but two of them look blurry on the computer.  Ugh.

post-44469-0-41163800-1369284692_thumb.jpg

post-44469-0-76665900-1369284699_thumb.jpg

I finally got around to weaving in the ends and soaking it in Eucalan.  It's pinned and blocking.  I took these pictures, and they look great on the phone, but two of them look blurry on the computer.  Ugh.

It is gorgeous. Funny how we can all follow the same pattern and come up with the different looks and shapes. i love the second curve in the neck line you got

Very pretty! Different yarns can sure make a difference in the look of the finished piece.

It is gorgeous. Funny how we can all follow the same pattern and come up with the different looks and shapes. i love the second curve in the neck line you got

Thanks.  It stretched out nicely on the board.  All those outside curves were a challenge when inserting the wire.

Very pretty! Different yarns can sure make a difference in the look of the finished piece.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished mine. Had started a while ago but stopped working on it to do other projects. Not entirely happy with it; too small for my taste. Will probably use it for a gift. I used Red Heart Shimmer in Zebra.

post-19583-0-99619400-1370441628_thumb.jpg

I finally finished mine. Had started a while ago but stopped working on it to do other projects. Not entirely happy with it; too small for my taste. Will probably use it for a gift. I used Red Heart Shimmer in Zebra.

If you have a hospital nearby that does Chemotherapy--that would be a perfect place to "gift" this shawl!  The cancer patients are always telling us their shoulders are cold!

Archived