Crochet-Along Challenge: Vote in Poll for Final Pattern Selection

Amy

FINAL Selection: CAL Challenge Shawl Pattern  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Select the shawl pattern listed below that you would most like us to do for the CAL Challenge. Links to patterns in first post of thread.

• Have a Heart
    • Lorelei
    • Simply Irresistible
    • Triangles
    • Oasis Wrap
    • Magnificent Mantle
    • French Blue
    • Persephone
    • Bowtie Pi
    • Graceful Shell

This idea for a CAL is perfect timing for me. My youngest dd just asked me to make her a shawl to use when she sits outside to read or study. She wants triangle shape though, so I'll have to wait and see if a triangle shape wins.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Persephone is a stunning pattern, well written and the results are amazing! I bet in WW it would be so warm & snuggly! 

I like the idea of a project that is suitable for any weight of yarn. That will give the most flexibility to all participants.

It will also be quite fun to see in different yarn weights, textures, colors. The possibilities would be endless!

Just checked the poll and three patterns are running neck in neck.  This is kind of exciting, for any pattern can be the winner.  I voted for the Graceful Shell Shawl and just checked out the pattern for the Persephone Shawl and it seems like a really lovely shawl also, and it will be a challenge for me in a different weight yarn which I also like.  May 4th don't seem to be getting here fast enough for I'm anxious to see which pattern is the final winner.  Now I'm cheering on The Graceful Shell and Persephone shawls.  Lets go shawls  RAH, RAH, RAH  :cheer  :clap  :cheer  :clap  :cheer

I have to say, since the Persephone is the one I am really wanting to make for my fair entry I doubt I'll be able to participate in the CAL unless it wins. And, if it doesn't, I will probably start a separate CAL just for those of us who would want to make that particular one. Not that the others aren't beautiful, as they are indeed, but because I have to manage my time so strictly that I won't be able to devote proper attention to a project that isn't a "need to complete" item. I run on fumes as is and don't get the chance to crochet for myself anymore.. ahhh the woes of having a business! At least it is something I do love doing! 

After several days, still a three way tie.

Can't wait to see what the winning shawl will be.  Probably go to Hobby Lobby on Saturday to get the yarn.  I was there today, and found the perfect yarn for a wrap. 

I need a new shawl or wrap. 

I voted for the Magnificent Matle.  My favorites that were listed throughout the thread did not make it to the final poll so this is my favorite off the list.  We'll see what wins and then I'll decide if I will participate in the CAL.  :bounce

OHH   French Blue is making a rise!!! Come on French Blue!!!

It's like a horse race... Move your blooming A****!!! 

I love this shawl and seriously hope it wins but if not I'll make it on my own

I was just thinking that it would be an interesting CAL if we made all the other shawls after we finish the chosen one... :think

requires some thought.

That would be a good idea darski! Maybe make them in order of the final vote standings?

That should be good.  When we get this one finished we can post the offer. :ghug

There are several I would like to make

It appears that Graceful Shell won by quite a large number of votes.. so sadly I can't participate... but I will stop in from time to time to see the beautiful shawls!

I thought the start date was yesterday. :)

Semi-started the Graceful Shawl yesterday. I said semi-started, because I had to frog the entire thing after the first row. When you start your shawl, y'all have to crochet the first three chains very loosely.

When you crochet back to the first few chains (which will be the last chain you get to in the first row):

You crochet 12 stitches (two complete shells) in the third to the last chain.

You crochet 6 stitches (one shell) in the second to the last chain.

You crochet 1 DC in the last chain.

By the time I got to the last chain, the weight of the stitches in the past two chains is so great, that the last chain unraveled. So I didn't have a chain for my last stitch.

I thought the start date was yesterday. :)

Semi-started the Graceful Shawl yesterday. I said semi-started, because I had to frog the entire thing after the first row. When you start your shawl, y'all have to crochet the first three chains very loosely.

When you crochet back to the first few chains (which will be the last chain you get to in the first row):

You crochet 12 stitches (two complete shells) in the third to the last chain.

You crochet 6 stitches (one shell) in the second to the last chain.

You crochet 1 DC in the last chain.

By the time I got to the last chain, the weight of the stitches in the past two chains is so great, that the last chain unraveled. So I didn't have a chain for my last stitch.

Thanks for the advice.

Looked at row 1 again, and i realized the reason why i couldn't crochet into the last stitch wasn't because the stitch unraveled..it was because it wasn't there.  Apparently, I shouldn't have made an increase in the third last chain.  In other words, you leave the third last chain alone, the second last chain is a shell, and the last chain is a DH.

Back to square 1.  But now, I think I know what I'm doing.

BTW, I wouldn't consider this a beginners pattern.  Maybe an advanced beginners.  I've been crocheting since the early 70s, and I'm still having problems.

I had enough chains on the first row, but not enough clusters. Had to go back and reread the instructions for the shell. Guess I just got in too big a hurry! Three rows done now. I'm using Lion Brand Vanna's Choice beige yarn that I had in my stash already.

I had enough chains on the first row, but not enough clusters. Had to go back and reread the instructions for the shell. Guess I just got in too big a hurry! Three rows done now. I'm using Lion Brand Vanna's Choice beige yarn that I had in my stash already.

what did you do wrong cause Apparently i did something wrong also. i only have 26 clusters instead of 30

Archived