Horrible at crocheting in a round

alaskamommy28

Question

I know this is supposed to be easy but being as talented as I am, I make it difficult. I am trying to do a quick neck cowl with my P hook and right now the idea of just crocheting the rows and sewing the ends together seems like a good idea. Could I get away with that?

17 answers to this question

Mary thanks for the link, that was a great help. Consider it bookmarked. Here is the pattern I am working on:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L20326B.html?noImages=

What gets me is the beginning row. Do I do that before I do the ring? THanks Rose Red.

It looks to me like you slip stitch into the very first chain you made.  You make sc in each chain then join.  That way you have a "ring".  Then you keep crocheting around.  If anyone else can describe it better--please tell us!  On this pattern, you don't join the chain itself--you sc into the chain, then join.  Man!  It's too early for my brain!  This just doesn't sound clear at all!  I know what I'm thinking in my head--it just isn't coming out of my mouth clearly!

Actually, yeah! I do like it. I went to my ladies bible study and they said they liked it. They called it the infinity cowl. One of the ladies asked me to make one for her.

Now it's a mobius cowl! 

One of the great things about crochet is that we can incorporate our mistakes into the design and it still looks like we did it on purpose.

Do you like how it looks on?

Ahh now that you posted the pattern I can see how you got confused about the foundation row.  I was thinking you were doing something l ike a hat which is a bit different starting.  Keep at it and you will get it with practice.  Glad the visuals helped, I can't live without them.    Mary

OK, I just thought I would post this. I crocheted this is in about an hour, and it kind of shows. I didn't realize to do a foundation row before forming my round. Next time, I will read the directions more thoroughly...thanks everyone. I do intend to make this again and hopefully it will look a lot better with no twists.

post-67075-0-65970600-1366741150_thumb.jpg

Pattern can be a pain when your just getting started it's also good to read it several times and when in doubt always ask questions that is how we learn....I have been crocheting for about 4 years now and I still have to ask lots of questions as well...Can't wait to see your work shared...

What gets me is the beginning row. Do I do that before I do the ring?

Chain 38.

Beginning Row: Make a single crochet in the 2nd chain from hook and in each chain across - total of 37 single crochet at the end of this row. Slip stitch into the first single crochet (at the beginning of the row) to join into a ring.

It's not really written as a 'standard' pattern.  That could be part of the confusion.

It has a Beginning Row which would be Row 1 and then it goes on to Round 1.

Basically, what you're doing is making a foundation chain.  Then you sc back across the chain.  Then you join it.  It's just a technique on working the first row/round so that the foundation chain doesn't twist on you.  You can do with with any stitch.  For the taller stitches you would use the tail to join the very bottom of the first row/round.

So you will ch38.

Then you'll sc in the 2nd ch from the hook and back across the chain for 37 scs.  You'll slst into the very first sc you made to turn the row into a round.

Then you'll work it like you would any other pattern.  Round 1 - ch3 for your turning chain (which pretends it's the first dc), dc in the next st and in each st across.  You'll slst into the top of the ch3 to join the round.

Round 2 - your turning chain is the ch1 and ignore it.  This will get your hook up to the required height to work the round.  Then you'll sc into the first stitch and in each stitch across.  You might want to use a stitch marker in the very first sc so that you don't accidentally slst into the ch instead of the sc.

Count the stitches in each round.  As long as you have 37 - you're doing it right.

This is one of those "If All Else Fails, Follow The Directions"

That starts with reading thru the entire pattern including and especially the notes. 

Personally I think Notes should always be either at the start or at the pertinent point in the pattern.

Historically, as they are in this case,  they are at the end  of the pattern - 

The good news is that they seem to answer your question.  As it happens they are describing my personal preferred method for starting in the round.  It also seems that the answer to your questions are in the notes so it may be helpful to take a few minutes to read them a time or two. 

Mary thanks for the link, that was a great help. Consider it bookmarked. Here is the pattern I am working on:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L20326B.html?noImages=

What gets me is the beginning row. Do I do that before I do the ring? THanks Rose Red.

The thing that makes it difficult is that I have to hold two strands at once, a giant hook (P)

You'll get that down with practice.  I prefer an N or M hook to two strands - but that's just me.

and the instructions confuse me. After doing the chain does the slip stitch go on the last chain to start the round?

Can you type out that line of the pattern?  It should tell you where to place your slst.  The answer is usually yes unless your turning chain includes extra chains.  Something like [ch5 (counts as first dc, ch2)] would have you slst-ing in the 3rd ch of the turning ch.  Without knowing what the directions tell you to do - we can't give you a solid answer.

Does the slip stitch count as the first stitch?

Usually the slst doesn't count as anything.  It just connects the row into a round.

Thanks everyone! OK I will tackle the round. The thing that makes it difficult is that I have to hold two strands at once, a giant hook (P) and the instructions confuse me. After doing the chain does the slip stitch go on the last chain to start the round? Does the slip stitch count as the first stitch? Thanks for your help. 

I know this is supposed to be easy but being as talented as I am, I make it difficult. I am trying to do a quick neck cowl with my P hook and right now the idea of just crocheting the rows and sewing the ends together seems like a good idea. Could I get away with that?

If your pattern is written for the round, it will look different and the rows will need to start and end different, unless the stitches are all the same.

What happens when you work in the round?

It is just simply making the correct number of chain to stand as the first stitch and joining into the correct stitch when you complete the row.

Tell us more so we can help more because it really is easier and neater to join as you go rather than sew after.

Have fun.

Colleen

Archived