Need opinions - what makes an afghan a man's afghan?

nancybanta

Question

What makes an afghan suitable for a guy?

Do you go by color or by pattern?  For instance - a solid shell afghan is one I always see in my mind as being a girl's afghan - does making it in a darker more "guy" color make it suitable for a guy?

Are there patterns that you use only for making an afghan for a guy or do you just go by color?  Obviously a pattern that has flowers all over it wouldn't be made for a man.

This is something that is driving me nuts - I make afghans for this place that treats cancer and blood disorders for kids up to age 21 and I like to make the same amount of afghans for gals as I do for guys and I'm always in a quandry as to what pattern to use for the guy patterns.

So do YOU go by color, by pattern or both or doesn't it matter?

21 answers to this question

I think it would be a combination of both. Definitely color would make a big impact on whether it looks masculine or feminine, and I wouldn't do a scalloped border or anything too frilly/lacy on a man's blanket.

I have made several afgahns for men in my family. Some want colors for their favorite sports teams. My brother loves native american

patterns and found a pattern he liked did it in black,red,grey,and white.

The guys seem to like simple stitch patterns with colors that are deeper in hue.

I was just out with a friend and asked her if her boyfriend would like a crocheted afghan (I had already done one for her and she loves purple). She said he would and when I asked what color, she said red. So red it will be. More of a hot red than a cherry red, according to her. So you never know.

LI Roe

I have mae 3 afghans for my husband.   I used basic designs straight lines or ripple.  The first 2 were colors matching his current car at the time first in green and beige second in blue and grey.  The third he picked Snoopy and Charlie Brown.  He wanted Tigger but NO WAY!

I don't think there is 1 specific type or color scheme that would be defined as manly. I am currently working on an afghan for my husband and is is in blue, purple and black. He picked those colors himself and also helped pick the pattern with me from Ravelry. It is this pattern.

The simple answer is that there is no real man's afghan.  Everyone has different tastes.

I  agree, I once made an afghan for a friend and when I asked him the colors, he wanted red/white/green (yes we are Italian). I just did a simple ripple one and he was happy. I do try for masculine colors or if I know favorite colors, then I do those. My husband, when we were dating, liked red, grey and blue. So those were the colors i used and did a patchwork crochet afghan from a book from the 70's and it was perfect.

It really depends on the person, same thing for women, some like brights, some like pastels. 

LI Roe

I find that a chunky, "manly" coloured yarn usually ends up making a more masculine-looking item.  I learned this with a verigated chunky Charisma yarn (in greys and browns) that I loved and started making a scarf with.  The pattern was a simple ribbed knit, and when I got through a few rows, I realized that it was definitely a scarf suited to a man.

The only other suggestion I have is sometimes the darker colors are easier to keep clean.  My grandmother made quilts for all the grandkids and my brothers got darker colored quilts.  They actually could use theirs all the time.  Mine is beautiful and white and incredibly hard to keep clean.  Needless to say it doesn't get used as much as I'd like do to dirty paws in this house. :lol

A granny square afghan, or an afghan worked as one large granny square would be suitable for a man, done in earthy colors. Navajo style afgahsn would be considered manly. I also vote for the ripple afghan. Definitely the lumberjack afghan as well.

All of the other posters have great ideas too.

Thank you everyone for your input and thank you Jimbo for pointing out that lumberjack afghan.  It sure is nice and I looked at the other color combinations and they all look great.  I've printed it off to put in my "guy afghan" folder.

Thanks again all !!!

Great question for a guy to answer, eh? And I know this one! By FAR, THE absolute best afghan for a guy is Rosered's Lumberjack Flannelghan. I know. I have one, made by none other than THE RoseRed, and it's kept me nice and toasty many a cold night up on the ranch. Every man should have one. Really!

I would say a simple granny would work.  I think the shell would work as well.  Definitely use more 'manly' colors.  I made afghans for my nephew, granted they're young but I wanted them to carry through for them.  So the oldest got oranges, beiges, and off white in a ripple pattern; the middle one got greens and grays in an RR; and the youngest got blues in a spiral circle.  I think the color trumps the pattern assuming the pattern is not frilly or flowery :think

You really never know what will make someone happy, years ago i made my big burly, backyard puttering brother a huge flowered hex, which he still loves, because he always says that nothing makes him happier than seeing his flower beds in full bloom on a Summer's Day. He loves using it on a cold winter evening knowing Spring will soon be coming and he can plan his gardens again.

My Daughter loves the simple designs and earthy tones in the Southwest afghans. On the other hand give me lace, lots of chains and filet or pineapples and I'm thrilled (not warm, tho, but happy!!)

Sometimes an old memory of an afghan we remember from a relative's home will trigger something too. I always think of my Aunt Eleanor when I see a granny done in black, hers was on the arm of her sofa for 20 years while I was growing up and those pink, blue and white baby ripples will always hold a special spot in my heart, too, so special that I'd never even think of making one for someone else to give away.

Maybe your recipients will have a special memory triggered when they see one of your afghans, too, that will determine their choice..

With all that said, I think you have to go with the old saying... "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I'm sure whatever type you make, someone will be sure to love it.

I'm thinking even some of those teenage boys will pick one just because it reminds them of the one their Grandma had.... 

It kind of depends on the guys.  Where you are making items for people you don't know it is more challenging.  My Mom makes many of them in the local or popular sports colors (for those who are more distant) and those seem to be hits.  I got her moving away from sweaters to afghans for the teens in the family a few years ago and the sports colored ones have been very popular.

I would say a little of both. Use darker more manly colors and simpler stitches. The ocean waves pattern going around in greens and blues would be great. I just made a boys baby blanket from holding a dark green a lighter green and a brown together and doing a simple shell stitch. So I have a camo blanket

Wow is that a good question.  My thoughts would be more by color than pattern.  But that being said, i think simpler patterns would appeal to guys more.  I'd be interested to hear what other's say on this.  

Archived