Help me choose yarn!

Zoe Deterding

I'm travelling to the US from the UK in the summer. I'm familiar with the yarn available in the US which isn't available over here as I'm a frequent visitor to the US and I'm on various internet sites often enough to know what's available. I'll have plenty of space in my suitcase to bring a reasonable supply of yarn home with me. I guess it doesn't help at this point that I don't know what I'll need the yarn for, LOL. But here's the kind of things I like to make - all sorts of things including afghans/blankets, bottle covers, flowers, hats and scarves.  I don't make socks, sweaters or other items of clothing other than hats, scarves and sometimes fingerless gloves.

After watching someone's YouTube video recently, I was interested in Caron Simply Soft.  I'll probably get some Red Heart but what's your favourite type of Red Heart and why?  I don't necessarily want to buy expensive yarn but would get more high end stuff for some hats and gloves, maybe.

I like very bright colours (generally) and variegated colours.

I think you're best bet would be to find a craft store with a decent yarn selection so you can go and see them and pet them and love them all.

That's what I always worry about.  Once I get in one of those stores, I'll be like some crazy drunk woman!  I'll be in the Bloomington area near Minneapolis and I understand there's no Hobby Lobby nearby (there is about an hour drive away) and I probably won't have the opportunity to leave the area.  I've had some people already give me the details of two or three nearby yarn stores.  So excited!  I went to Michaels last year, and a very nice place in Stillwater MN.  Always great to see new yarn stores.

Caron's Simply Soft says it like it is- it's soft. If you're looking for something with a nice drape, this would be good. It's available at Michael's, too, so you can get a feel of it while you are here. I find the stores never seem to have a really good selection of every color, tho, so if your stay is long enough, maybe you could order more online and have it shipped to the address where you are staying.

Michael's has Red Heart, too, you'll probably run into the same thing with the stores not carrying a full line of color selections. Red Heart is a good sturdy yarn, wears well, stuff lasts forever... They have a soft yarn, too, but I haven't used it.

You may want to look into getting a few of the bigger pound skeins.. Pound of Love, or Caron's One Pound . They are not the best quality, but I use them all the time for afghans, mittens, scarves.  Colors are limited, tho. They cram a bunch of yarn into that skein so it won't take up much space in your suitcase, either, lol.

You can do pretty much all your shoping at that nearby Michael's, if you can get in an order online and have it shipped to that address, if you are looking for more colors.

Also, check to see is there is a Joann Fabric store nearby... they always have a good selection of yarn, too. (Probably the same selection as Michael's, maybe a different sale tho)

Be sure to get on the e-mailing list for Michael's and Joann's... they have a 40% coupon every week that you can print out and they are always having special "percent off" days, too. Big savings!

Once I get in one of those stores, I'll be like some crazy drunk woman!

Then you'll fit right in with the rest of us who's eye's glaze over at the sight of all that beautiful yarn and just have to reach out and pet the skeins wishing we could take them all home with us (kinda like puppies at the pound).

Archived