Question on Crochet Hat Sizes?

Deaux-Deaux

Question

Hello, I am currently working on a project where I am crocheting 100 hats for 100 (foster) kids. I have completed several hats intended for babies, but I am unsure as to whether or not they are too small... I am not surrounded by babies or children on a regular basis, so I'm having trouble gauging hat sizes.

I have been using Crochet Greek's 'Head Sizes for Crochet Hats' chart for determining my hat sizes, but again I am concerned as to whether or not my hats are too small...

If anyone has used this chart, or has crocheted hats for babies and children, please let me know if the chart is accurate. If it is not, could you please give me an estimate on the diameter and length my hats should be for babies and children?

FYI: Most of the hats I am making are beanies. Not sure if that will make a difference or not, but I thought I'd offer that as some extra information.

My hat goal:

10 baby

50 child

40 adult

8 answers to this question

Greetings and salutations,

I found a similar chart on another site with the same numbers and regularly use it for making charity projects(preemies- newborns) and hats for myself. The sizes have always worked for me. I use this one because it also has the preemie sizes Bevs Country Cottage.

Greetings and salutations,

I found a similar chart on another site with the same numbers and regularly use it for making charity projects(preemies- newborns) and hats for myself. The sizes have always worked for me. I use this one because it also has the preemie sizes Bevs Country Cottage.

Thank you! I feel better about the hats I have already made. Guess babies are smaller than I thought... lol

I use the Craft Yarn Council's charts for sizing and they have been spot-on when I crochet clothing.

There is something called ASTM which is the "governing" organization for all kinds of measurements.  The CYC charts appear to have used the most current version for its measurements.   Given the cost of the section relating to textiles, quite a generous resource for no cost but ink and paper.

Archived