ISO Butterfly Afghan Pattern

mamamiaow

Question

I saw an afghan recently that had what appeared to be groups of dcs in long rows, broken up by what looked like chain sts forming the shape of butterfly wings. After maybe 2 rows were completed, the 4 chained loops looked like a butterfly. I would love to make this for a special person, but I can't figure out the pattern. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance! :)

12 answers to this question

By any chance was it this square?  Butterfly Garden by Chris Simon http://www.yarncrazy.com/butterfly-garden

post-10356-0-14074100-1364840705_thumb.jpg

edit:  Duh, you said long rows, so I guess it wasn't squares.  Sorry about that!  But anyhow, did the butterflies look similar?  

I wish I had a picture!!! It was featured behind a pillow of a contest on the crochet crowd website, you couldn't see much of it. It looked like maybe 6 to 8 dcs, then a looped chain st then more dcs. If one row had 2 chain loops, then the next row above had 2, it looked like the outline of a butterfly (or a four leaf clover), but the person said it was a butterfly. I did ask for the pattern as did others, but she said it was old and she didn't think she had it anymore.

I found the pattern in single crochet, but you can easily just do double crochets.

Chain multiple of 14 plus 1

row 1 - sc in 2nd chain from hook, sc in each of next 3ch, *ch 7, skip next 7 ch, sc in each of next 7 ch; repeat from * across, ending with sc in each of last 4ch, turn

row 2 -3 ch 1, sc in each of first 4 sc, *ch 7, skip next ch-7 loop, sc in each of next 7sc, rep from * across ending with sc in each of last 4 sc, turn

row 4 ch1, sc ineach of first 4 sc, *ch 3, sl st over next 3 ch-7 loops in last 3 rows (this makes the loop that gathers the long chains together), ch 3, sc in each of next 7 sc, rep from * across ending with sc in each of last 4 sc, turn

row 5 ch 1, sc in each of first 4 sc, *ch 7, skip next 2 ch-3 loops (you're starting long chains of the next butterfly), sc in each of next 7sc; rep from * across ending with sc in each of last 4 sc, turn

repeat rows 2-5 for pattern

Wow, y'all ROCK!! between all the ideas, I'm sure I will be able to figure out the pattern! Empress Busy Bee, that is the one!! I have a friend whose Mom passed away from ovarian cancer a few yrs ago, and her special thing was butterflies. I'd like to make her a prayer shawl version of that blanket. I've even started seeing butterflies everywhere that I never really paid attention to before. Actually, the friend is a friend of my dd from high school, she was so kind to me when I had breast cancer, knowing what her own mom was going through. She is such a sweet person, I think this would be a great gift, if I can do it. Thanks to all!!!

Wow about 2 years ago I finished an afghan for a lady at the nursing home that was the exact pattern.  

tttttttttt******tttttttttt

The t's are dc and the * are chains when you do the third row up of chains you just ch 3, slst around the 2 previous rows of chains then chain 3 again then do the dc's

Archived