What kind of yarn for afghan?

Croshay

Question

I chose Red Heart super saver for making an afghan - because of the availability of so many colors - but I find this yarn to be stiff and scratchy.  What do you guys and gals use for good color choices with softness?

5 answers to this question

Red Heart Super Saver is a great yarn for afghans. It is stiff/scratchy to work with, but once you finish the ghan and wash it, it will soften up a ton. plus its durable. I've made afghans with several other brands of yarn (Caron simply soft, Bernat Satin, etc) which are great to work with, nice and soft, but they get fuzzy before I even have the blanket done. Plus not as many color choices as RHSS. 

A lot of the scratchiness will come out in the wash.  It's the sizing that makes the yarn stiffer and have more body to make it easier to work with.  Add a couple dryer sheets to the dryer and it's surprising how much softer it becomes.

I use Caron Pounders for almost everything.  They have a great color range (although not nearly as good as RH).  It's really soft to work with, softens up even more in the wash after the sizing is washed out and hold up really well.  I use my ghans and my little dog really likes them, too.  I probably wash my ghans a lot more than most people do.  I've never had CP pill in the wash.  The ends stay woven in

I made a purse from Simply Soft and after 1 washing it was a fuzzy pilled disaster.  The colors are great, it's really soft but if you want to be able to wash it a lot (like a baby blanket would need to be) I wouldn't use it for that.

If you want the really bright colors - I think RH is your best bet.  The more you wash it the softer it gets.

Red Heart Super Saver is a great yarn for afghans. It is stiff/scratchy to work with, but once you finish the ghan and wash it, it will soften up a ton. plus its durable. I've made afghans with several other brands of yarn (Caron simply soft, Bernat Satin, etc) which are great to work with, nice and soft, but they get fuzzy before I even have the blanket done. Plus not as many color choices as RHSS. 

Ha!  I am making a multi colored striped afghan right now and the ONE stripe that I used Caron One Pound is already starting to get fuzzy.  The rest of the afghan is all RH and it looks great.  No more COP in this project.

Since we do not have any brick/mortar craft stores in my town, I purchase Red Heart With Love if it's in stock at the local Wal-Mart. The brand is usually picked over though. In that case, I will use 3-4 weight baby yarns instead.

Archived