Can I correct this - differing lengths of blanket

Snowbaby

Question

post-44791-0-79016300-1364725301_thumb.jpg

Can anyone advise what I can do to correct this please? I would really really LOVE not to have to pull the entire blanket back. I am gutted as this is for my aunt who is extremely sick :(

I started with the granny squares, but as you can see, the grannys are shorter in length than my DC rows. The bottom of the grannys measures 38", the top row of DCs measures 42" :(

Is there any way to fix/correct it without ripping it all out? I had thought I could unpick the grannys off the DC rows but since the DCs are sitting on top, then the DCs would unravel? Each granny is SCd to the next - could I unpick them and try to add SC columns between each? Would Would it look awful? 

(p.s. although I am from UK, I use US terminology)

20 answers to this question

That was why I pulled it all back, I want it to be perfect simply because of the reason behind me making & giving it. I wasn't happy with how it was so it really was the only thing to do. I managed to rip it out & re-make it back to this length last night. I have a young child so don't often get a chunk of time to crochet - felt really good to have fixed it in an evening!

Its looking great and I know your Aunt will love it! Great job on figuring out where the issue was so you could fix it. I hope that your Aunt gets well fast. 

Although there are several possible ways this went off on its own design challenge,

This might be a way to quickly get it ready to gift. 

Fold Right  sides together length wise.

Using a reverse Single Crochet (Crab Stitch)

Join the side seams about 1/3 of the way up,

continue around the "arm opening"

Repeat on other side

Reverse Single Crochet  around the outter edge  for continuity of concept

You might want to make a closure or two - or just some ties.

The extra width will be "intended" to have provided a bit of extra ease and the grannies will look like a delightful scarf around her neck.

Tell her you hope she will feel as if you were there to wrap your love into hug around her.

I've ripped it all back. I think the issue was I had put a sc in one of the two corner ch's of each granny so effectively I added 2 sts to each granny?

I really want happy with it given the reason I'm making it. I want it to be perfect for my aunt to take into hospital during her treatments.

Lesson learnt!

How about adding a row of sc or dc to each side of the granny square rows?  It sounds weird  but it just might work!  And that's much better than ripping out all the dc rows!  Good Luck!  Let us know how it goes for you!  And we'll put your aunt in our prayers!

Count the first solid row after the grannies and the last solid row that you did.  If the numbers are the same the problem is your tension.  If the numbers are different then you're adding stitches as you go.

I think the difference is too much to fix.  You could leave it the way it is and continue on with it.  If it's one of your first ghans - it happens a lot.  If you're that unhappy with it then I would start over.  There's not enough stretch in the grannies to make blocking work and even if it did then your Aunt would have to block it every time she washed it.

I had thought of blocking, but I'd have to stretch the grannys so much it looks very warped/skewed :(

Yeah, each granny has 3 x TR (forming half of the corner), then 3 lots of 3DC and 3 x TR (half of the other corner before turning down the next side) so 15sts across the top of each granny, which is how I worked the number of DC. 

Because I have put the grannys together, then DC across the full length of the 7 joined grannys, can I remove the grannys but keep the DC rows intact? Because the DCs sit on the grannys would it undo the first row of DC? 

I'm going to take a stab at this.    The proper way would of course is to rip it out to the grannies and start over and maybe use a smaller hook for the rows of dc.   You could try 'blocking' the grannyies out 3"  by pinning it to a towel and 'steaming' it with your flat iron but don't touch the yarn.  Let it dry before removing.  Or do like you said, ripping the grannies of the dc. Then maybe working a sc row aross and refasting the grannie's, but I think you might still have the same problem as before.   So, for now do you have the same amount of stitches across your row of dc as the amount of stitches on the grannies?  Could be when coming across you added a few and didn't realize it?

Archived