border for granny to solid blanket

Question

I want to make a border that is more like the granny...3dc chain 1 or 2 then 3dc and so on.

I am no where near to adding the border....but want to know....

How many stitches do I need to skip to get this started and do I have to end with a "multiple of..." amount in my last solid row.

8 answers to this question

A granny shell is 3dcs plus a ch - so, a multiple of 4.  Even if it's not a perfect st count you can still get it really close.

Edited by RoseRed

Thank you Granny Square...I like the way it is turning out so far. 

RoseRed,  thank you!  Sometimes I struggle with the math part of getting a crochet thing worked out.   :juggle

No where near done....but I should be able to get something worked out to where I can end up with at least an even number of stitches.  For some reason the rounds are I've done so far are coming out with an odd number stitch count.   :think

But, from this point forward, where the varigated yarn is a bit thicker than the solid colors, my next rows of varigated I'm only doing a 1dc, ch2, 1dc in the corners to keep it from getting wonky or bunched up.  With the solids I'm doing a 2dc, ch2, 2dc in the corners. This should help out with getting an even stitch count for each side. 

I usually alternate each row between a Vst and a shell in my squares, too.  Otherwise they come out really wonky.

When you get to the border - it's really forgiving.  If you need to sk 2 sts instead 3 in a spot or 2 or make 2dc instead of 3dc to make it fit - it's not going to be noticeable.