Chatterbox

A place to just babble or rant

So let get started since I couldn't find another place on the forum like this so I created it for everyone.

I like to babble it's a very bad habit I have.

Currently working on crochet shawls for Hospice currently getting/bored silly with this project.

Planning to try a few new patterns and hope it will get my out of my funk.

I am on a Yarn Diet as well I have set a goal to no more then 4 balls/skeins per month toward my crochet projects as this expense is out of pocket I also get free donated yarn so this should not be an issue (right) :? :? :?:2nono :2nono Wish me luck what about you?

Hello from a fellow babbler also, LOL.

Did you know it is a law that you have to be working on more than one project at the same time, otherwise the Craft Police will be after you? LOL. I always have multiple crochet projects going on at the same time, this way I can switch out and it seems that I get more done quicker when there are projects all over the place.

Currently I am working on afghans, hats, scarves and little embellisments to add to the little stretchy knit hats I found at Walmart for 25 cents each. A friend of mine does a baby shower once a year in February for several churches for unwed mommies as well as families now in need due to the economy and the hurricane, you get the idea. So she starts putting things aside right after the shower for the next year and people donate everything from diapers to baby wipes,clothing, etc. I found these little hats and thought it would be so cute to add appliques (did that on the crocheted scarves I did for the older children, put footballs, flowers, on them) to kick them up a notch. I also do a lot for gifts for my own friends and neighbors..

Yarn diet??? I don't think so, LOL, not for me. Was at AC Moore yesterday, they had all their yarn for 25% off and currently still accepting the AARP card for an additional 10% discount (but they are not stopping that, no word yet). I picked up more stuff and probably will go back again this week to get some more yarn. That is one diet that I can't keep.

I used to get reimbursed for some yarn from the volunteer group I belonged to. Years ago, when I was working, am retired now, I was given tons and tons of yarn (still using that also) from a woman I worked with who could no longer crochet and no one else wanted to store it so I took it. The same friend that runs the baby shower also gives me yarn when she gets it from her friends and church members. She doesn't crochet (yet) but we are trying to get together more so I can teach her at her request.

Okay, good luck and have fun.

LI Roe

Welcome LI Roe.....Thanks for sharing yet I usually have 2-3 shawls going at time as well due to I work on alot of my projects at work while I wait to be dispatched on a trip so I am either in a van or in our office chair waiting to be dispatched I can sometimes be in the van 4-6 hours with lots of waiting so these projects take up the waiting around boring time. Plus when the project gets to large I have to switch and work that one at home or in the office but not in the van due to VERY limited space there so I keep a few going at all times

I have about 10 boxes of yarn (16x16) so I am doing pretty good as well the issue

I have from time to time is colors that don't match so I really need to buy some to help it along .. Or I get 1 or 2 skeins of this or that when I need a total of 3 (7 oz skeins) to do Plus Size shawl. So I will use my 4 diet limit to help in this area.

The reason I cut down/ Dieting is storage space I live in a Mobile home and I can be a hoarder if you let me.. When I started I was doing lots of hat boy was I sick of those I made close to 100 then I moved onto scarves/ scoodies as well but I was also learning how to make things as well I have only been crocheting for 3-4 years but in the beginning it was only at Xmas time one item for my mom those cute dish towels w/ the yarn toppers..

I have been crocheting for Hospice now for since Oct 2012. I attached my first shawl which drove me mentally crazy due to I am not a color person who can put colors together I have to ask I am what I like to call color challenged LOL..

post-35509-0-37990100-1364217193_thumb.jpg

I also like to babble and have mulitple projects going. Right now I have a large afghan that I have been working on 10 (gasp! Yes I know) years. I started it when pregnant with my oldest as a blanket for him and then put it down, picked it up, put it down... you know how that goes. I am making it twin sized because I wanted him to have something useful for many years, not just baby years. I was about 1/3 done with it last summer and decided I did not like the pattern so I ripped it all back out and started over with a new pattern. I have 5 rows left on it and the border. I am also working on a 2 sided baby blanket and some dishclothes.

I tried to start a very complicated picture ghan yesterday and spent the day up to my ears in my stash looking for the right colors and amounts. I found everything I needed and started the picture ghan to just give up on it because I didn't think I could handle such a complicated design. I will do it sometime though.

Okay, I can understand cutting down if you live in a mobile home since space is limited. I am in a small wide line ranch home with basement and garage (am widowed, no kids) so I have room for everything. Yarn is in containers in basement only plus in one bedroom that is a guest/craft room. When my husband was alive, he used to joke that if we ever moved, we would need two moving vans, one for furniture and our personal stuff and one just for the craft stuff. LOL. I actually have more yarn than when he was alive but the other craft items that I no longer use have and are slowly being donated. But I also used to make him laugh when I would buy yarn and tell him he was lucky I was only buying yarn and not shopping in Cartiers or Tiffany jewelry stores. But he was supportive, as long as things were neatly stored and not thrown around, he didn't care what I had. 

I also take projects with me if I have to wait somewhere, take small ones for easier portability. And I've started and ripped out too, either the gauge was too off or I didn't like the way the colors looked if it was a variegated. And I too, have spent, time looking for certain colors. The biggest job I have is to attempt to put like colors in the same bins and then label them. You would never see me emerge from my basement, LOL.

Okay, take care, have a good day. Think I may go back to AC Moore, having a yarn sale and so far, they still accept my AARP card for a small discount (that will be stopping but not sure when).

Happy crocheting.

LI Roe

Li Roe, I hear you if the only addiction I have is yarn I think I am doing well. Plus I think 4 balls of yarn per month really is not an addiction right? Yes spaces here is hard to come by as well as places to put the finished stuff I have to keep in laying around until I get several to turn into Hospice. I have been busy trying to read/understand a few new patterns for shawls I usually do the simple ones w/ photo but I am trying to branch out into new things..

Hi,

I just do one project at a time, but my problem is, i just don't finish (weave in ends, sew on buttons) until i have a lot made, then i complain that i have too much to do.  I have a bin filled up with hair scrunchies, dish-clothes little purses, water bottle holdeds.  They all have to be completed,So  what am i doing, just reading all the post.  I don't have any craft fairs coming up, so i am taking my time, but you have to see me move when i know something is right around the corner.  Last November, i made 12 scarves in in about 1 week (school colors) and they sold like hot cakes...(i had blood-shot eyes for a while, but it was worth it).

Thanks for stopping by popeyesgirl. I think you have yourself very busy....

I have seen lots of lookers stopping by and now-one stopping in maybe a few pictures of non-craft items will grab your attention....

First Pic is just some cactus here in Arizona in bloom

2nd pic is Grand Canyon

3rd pic & 4th pic I took 2 days ago at a local park/library of a peacock

5th pic Just some pink blooms

6th Pic is Skull  Piedmont, Arizona  the middle of no-where

Thanks for looking maybe drop a hello too

post-35509-0-96634900-1364571291_thumb.jpg

post-35509-0-23988400-1364571399_thumb.jpg

post-35509-0-85386500-1364571405_thumb.jpg

post-35509-0-43487800-1364571413_thumb.jpg

post-35509-0-92070700-1364571420_thumb.jpg

post-35509-0-65018700-1364571426_thumb.jpg

Love the pictures! My hubby and I spent our Honeymoon in Arizona. We made a day trip up to the Grand Canyon. Talk about breathtaking. We were both speechless, and that's not an easy task for my hubby lol. 

wow, nice pics, thanks for sharing, I always think of Arizona as browns and tans and drab, this proved me very wrong!! Well, Im headed back to the hook, got some squares to work on for the granny friendship thread!! Drop in and see the latest eye candy!!! talk atcha later!        :manyheart

LOL Yes Arizona in place are drab but I think it's do to the people who decided not to use some color I was commenting on this the other day with my DD as we drove into an nicer neighbor hood & resorts & spa area every thing was painted beige/tan/brown say YUCK no color.. I am not saying paint your house Bright Orange but come on give the trim some pop...

• 2 months later...

Love the pictures Jayashiangel. What part of AZ are you in? My DH and I moved to the Phoenix area 2 yrs ago and we just love it. The colors of some of the flowers are just beautiful. Until we moved here, I didn't realize that a cactus can have flowers. lol

I especially enjoy being able to go without a coat around Christmas. Or riding with the truck windows down at 9pm in October. Although, I have to admit we get a kick out of seeing someone walking outside at night, around the end of the year, and they have a parka on! We assume that has to be someone who has lived in this state a long time.

And a yarn diet??? I didn't realize anyone could have that kind of will power. I certainly don't...and the newly organized craft ( read: walk-in ) closet in the guest room is testament to that!

Well I guess I have babbled enough for now. I hope all of you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Hmmm, I babble a lot! Lol! Just wouldn't be me if I didn't! :)))))

Li Roe I wish I could come and visit your yarn stash!

Jayashiangel, love this new thread. Have you thought of doing granny squares or mile a minute afghans?

Or there is this afghan I have on the go right now called a walk In the woods afghan from crochet world feb 2013.

It is done in strips and then crocheted together.

Hmmm, yarn diet, never heard of it!!! But I should. :))))))))

Wish I had enough totes to organize the colors, but like LI Roe you might not see me again. :)))))))

I think I have too many projects on the go right now! But at least they are in tote bags and semi organized.

Oh dear, I think I have babbled too long!

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I sure do love that you started this thread. Also, I have such a hard time sticking to 1 project. Bad thing is, that my DH hates when I start another project. He does not see the point in starting multiple projects. I am always trying to explain to my DH that in a crafters mind we have to have multiple projects going all time, that is just the way we are right? Anyways, I am going stop rambling on.

Archived