yarn from kits...late 70s

LadiBug329

So....I bought some good yarn at an auction yesterday....mostly older based on the stickers on the wrappers. Yarn is in great shape....I got 23 full unused skeins of RH & caron, 6 nice balls of partially used yarn, and a afghan kit. Only paid $5 for the lot. Not a bad buy at all. Now, here's my dilemma. In this kit, there are 10 colors, all of which are wrapped and tied around the same piece of cardboard, ea color is about 6 oz.

I got my winder out and have managed to get 2 colors wound, threw one away because it was just too tangled to mess with and gave up on about an ounce from ea of the 2 I did get wound.

Is there an easy way to get the remaining colors wound with out so much frustration? In the 2 I got done I have a box the unwound yarn fits around but it is a slow slow slowwwwww process winding since other loops want to follow along.

I can not imagine paying full price for a kit and getting this frustrated getting the yarn ready to use. Any suggestions?

Ive never purchased an afghan kit before and would hope the yarn comes in skeins nowadays.

Ohh, the one and only kit I ever had, that i bought at a garage sale no less, the yarns skeins came all nicely in skeins, all tangle free, and came it s own plastic project type case. I thought that too was a good deal for 5 bucks, but to think you have to go to all the trouble you had, wow, still though, a good buy, if you can get throught the untangling, I never but maybe twice in my yarnie career, have let the yarn get the best of me with tangles, lol Im smarter than the yarn!! I can work it out! Think positive! he he, sorry thats all the help I can give you, but wishing you good luck, and a happy finished  project coming soon!!!!!! :manyheart

Yeah, I'm pretty good with getting the yarn barf resolved but my hubby got into the one I tossed...it was just gonna be too much hassle to deal with, and i have plenty of brown so didn't really need it.  

I think the best bet is do like I did with the 2 I got wound....just take the yarn and gently lay it around the box and wind from that.  Hubby said he would help guide it off as I wound, and that was a big help with the one I did with him.

And I really like the colors that are remaining to be wound, so that is tonight's project.  ;o)

Archived