Galaxy Afghan (finished)

prettywoman030981

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, thanks to our very unorganized fair people, I just now got to see the fair book for this year to see the guidelines for the crochet category. And I found out that the maximum size for afghans is 72" x 60". And my circle section alone was 77" x 43". So I had to take off some sections. Since I had already weaves in the ends of my sewing in, I had to cut the pieces off very carefully and re crochet 4 pieces. This set me back a couple days. And I have to have this done completely by September 21. And I will only be able to have 8" striped sides!! I REALLY wish they had been more organized and had their website fixed a LONG time ago!!! I sure wasted a LOT of time crocheting those pieces and stitching them together!!!

I finished the circle section!!! WOO HOO!!! It looks exactly as I had planned. I laid it out and measured one more time before I started on the striped sides and at it's widest, it is already 45 inches wide. So I will have to make only 7 inch sides. I'm hoping it still looks good with so little on each side.

post-55092-0-27974500-1376953057_thumb.jpg

Nice! 

I love this pattern....I think this would look good in many color combinations....hmmmmm, maybe I need to track down this pattern too!

It is really awesome pattern. It is time consuming, though. And the ends to weave in are absolutely ridiculous!! THOUSANDS of them!!!

I'm glad I tried it, but I don't know if I'd ever make another one!

Your project is beautiful and coming along so well. I'm wondering how heavy this will be in the end. Can't wait to see the finished afghan!

Thanks everyone!!! I have taken this week off from this so I can work on some small baby items for my cousin's baby shower this week. I did finish one stripe side, so one more side to crochet, then attach, then I get to crochet all the joins! Getting closer to being done!!!

Your project is beautiful and coming along so well. I'm wondering how heavy this will be in the end. Can't wait to see the finished afghan!

The circles have a little heft to them, but it is not too terribly heavy. It will be a good winter afghan.

Wow this must be A LOT of work, but boy is it worth it! It looks amazing Jennifer well done you! 

Thanks! It has been a ton of work!

Wow! What a lovely and ambitious project.

As someone who does lots of crochet piecework, I highly recommend either the Clover bent-tipped yarn needles or the Hiya Hiya bent-tipped yarn needles. They make the job of weaving in ends much less onerous.

Wow! What a lovely and ambitious project.

As someone who does lots of crochet piecework, I highly recommend either the Clover bent-tipped yarn needles or the Hiya Hiya bent-tipped yarn needles. They make the job of weaving in ends much less onerous.

I use bent tip needles. It does make the weaving easier. This blanket just had HUNDREDS of ends!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few ends to weave in and then the sides will be done. I have decided to skip the crocheting the joins. I'm just going to stitch the other side together and call it good!! The only crocheting I have left is to crochet a row or two on each end to even it out. I plan to have it 100% done this coming weekend!

The blanket is finished. It's been through the washer and dryer and is very soft now and not stiff like it was while I was working on it. There are a few ends peeking out a little that I need to snip off, but otherwise it is perfect!! It is just as I imagined it would be!!

This is the one and only galaxy afghan I will ever do. It was very time consuming and the ends to weave in were outrageous!!!

Now the question I have......what should I price this at? I'm entering it into the fair and plan on trying to sell it afterward. It is 52" x 62" and made from RHSS. I started this afghan in January and just finished it up. I am just terrible at pricing my work. I tend to under price and do NOT want to under price this one.

Archived