mom4x

Spring Yarn Swap... ANGEL NEEDED

89 posts in this topic

Today is the first day of Spring, and what better way to get in the spirit.. sign up for the Spring Yarn Swap!!!

Details:

Spring/Summer Yarn Swap Apr 1-May 15  $25 minimum (cotton, bamboo, linen—warm weather yarns)

You will exchanging $25.00 of spring yarns/threads.  Getting to know you partner will help make this a successful and easy swap.  

You may include other items in your package(coffee, tea, notepads, etc....) but it is not a requirement and please keep in mind you may not receive extras in return. 

To sign up:

Please EMAIL your completed survey to me at   crochet_n_4u(at)yahoo(dot)com   ..  In the subject please put Spring Yarn Swap (ville username)

Dates to remember:

Partners  - 3/31/2013

Packages mailed -5/05/2103

Swap ends - 5/15/2013

REMEMBER: Crochetville admin limits Villagers to *TWO* swaps at one time. If you are already signed up for two swaps, one must be completed before this swap starts for you to be eligible to swap. See the Swap Guidelines. A swap will count as completed if you have mailed your final package and delivery confirmation information shows your package has been received OR your swap partner has posted a thank-you in the swap thread.

GUIDELINES
Here are the rules. Please read them thoroughly and completely before signing up.

1. Please submit a survey (See 2nd post for Survey information) if you want to participate in this swap. Surveys should be emailed to the swap coordinator, mom4x, at this email address:crochet_n_4u (at) yahoo (dot) com . I will send you a confirmation email when I receive your survey, and your name will be added to the list of swappers posted below. Surveys can be submitted until: March 31, 2013 at 5 p.m. (EST).

2. It is not required that you answer all the questions on the survey (except for name, address, and C'ville nickname), but it is a good way for your partner to know your other preferences, favorite color, favorite genre of books, allergies, etc.

3. Partner assignments will be e-mailed to you by: March 31, 2013. Packages must be POSTMARKED by: May 05, 2013. Delivery Confirmation is required whenever it is available (all domestic packages), and the delivery confirmation number MUST be emailed to the swap coordinator. Please email the swap coordinator, crochet_n_4u (at) yahoo (dot) com, when you receive your exchange partner's information so that I know you received it. All packages must be received by the end of the swap on: May 15, 2013.

4. By submitting a survey, you agree to follow the Swap Guidelines, as well as the General Forum Guidelines. **Please note — there is a new requirement for digital patterns**

5. E-mail the swap coordinator, mom4x, at this email address: crochet_n_4u (AT) yahoo (DOT) com, when you receive your partner information at the start of the swap, and when you send and receive your exchange item(s) so that I can record who has sent and received.

6. Please thank your partner for their thoughtfulness when you receive your swap package. It will make their day. A thank you MUST be posted on the swap thread, but you can post links to your blog for photos, etc., if you choose. A thank you is REQUIRED!! Please also thank your partner personally with a private email, as well as a post to the swap thread. The private thank-you lets your partner know that their package has been received, and the public thank-you lets the other swappers know what you received and adds to everyone’s enjoyment of the exchange. Both public and private thank-you’s are required.

7. Make sure your postage and receiver's address are correct before mailing. Mark your package with "Crochetville Spring Yarn Swap". Do not forget delivery confirmation is required whenever it is available, and the delivery confirmation must be emailed to the swap coordinator. This is not only proof of mailing, but enables you to trace the package if it is lost in the mail.

8. If you have a problem with your partner or an item you receive, please DO NOT post complaints to the swap thread. Please PM or email the swap coordinator privately.

9. If your package is not postmarked by the POSTMARK BY date of May 05, 2013, you will be subject to the consequences listed in the 2013 Swap Guidelines. Please contact the swap coordinator BEFORE the mailing deadline passes if there is a problem.

10. Since we are an international group, everyone is more than welcome to participate. That means that your exchange partner may live across the world and packages may take longer to arrive and cost more to ship. Keep this in mind when mailing items.

11. Most importantly, have fun! Happy Swapping!

PRIVACY INFORMATION
The information you provide in your survey is provided to assigned swap partners. Information may also be provided to the Swap Coordinator Leader (DesertCrocheter) and Crochetville administration (AmyS and Donna) for the purposes of swap coordination only. With prior permission, survey information may also be shared with members sending “Angel” replacement packages, if necessary.

Edited by mom4x

Kidge >>><<< MagicCrochetFan

kirstyskrafts>>><<< tiffer93

crsheridan>>><<<Jessicalli

mom4x>>><<<krazykitty

Edited by mom4x

For this swap, is it legit to specify that one wishes to exchange ONLY natural fibers?

I would love to exchange cotton, bamboo, linen, as listed in the first post (as well as silk, tencel, hemp, or whatever other natural fibers I can't think of right now).  But I truly do NOT want ANY acrylic at all, and while I would be willing to get my partner whatever she wants, I would much prefer to concentrate on natural fibers.  

The dates have been corrected I think.. it is May 5th for mailing May 15th for Swap ending.

I think specifying certain types of yarns will be fine, as long as you give them a variety to chose from as you mentioned..  I don't think it would be a good idea to state you want only (ex.... Patons Spa)..

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.  Sorry for any errors I made in the sign ups, I had no sleep last night...lol.... 

This should be a fun swap. I like the idea of maybe getting a new kind of yarn,  as magiccrochetfan asked with natural fibers. In the warmer months I prefer the natural fibers to work with.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I got that from your post...just wanted to cover it all for everyone.. :)

There is not a specific yarn I want to request, but specific fibers I want to specify that I NOT receive.  

So....I wonder how many people that are considering doing this swap would like to exchange only natural fibers, no acrylic?  I mean, NO acrylic, no blends that include acrylic.  

Yeah, I got that from your post...just wanted to cover it all for everyone.. :)

Oops, sorry!  Before I saw your reply, I deleted my post because i realized exactly what you say here, I did already say that.  

I would rather have natural fibers for the warmer months.Like bamboo, or a cotton blend. I use acrylic in the winter months.

I'm undecided on the swap at this point.  However, I would be specific about not wanting any acrylic as well. 

May I butt in, with coordinator hat on, to say you may, of course, request any particular kind of fiber you want. As Mom4x wrote, just give your partner a few choices (for example, not everyone has a store with hemp yarn nearby and can afford it, but lots of stores, including JoAnn's and Michaels, sell bamboo and cotton yarns, so if you give your partner 2 or 3 choices, you'll get what you asked for).

And may I remind all the partners out there to please listen to your partner and get her what she wants? We have, in the past, had people who sent their partners exactly the kind of yarn that the partners' surveys specified they did not want to get. It's almost as if they had not read their partners' surveys at all.

This completely ruins the swap for the recipient. Who wants their yarn, that they spent their hard-earned money on, given away or throw away? Who wants to hurt someone's feelings? And honestly, those recipients usually write down that person on their survey as someone they do not want to swap with in the future. No one wants to be that person!

So yes, specify fiber types, and please honor your partners preference. Let's keep swapping fun for all!

PS I think bamboo and linen and cotton and hemp are all super choices for this swap, and if you've never worked with any of these, now is your chance to try something new. And don't forget thread. Thread vests and tops are just as cool as cotton or bamboo.

1 person likes this

I really appreciate DesertCrocheter's reminder that as swappers we need to really pay attention to our partners' likes/dislikes/requests.   :cheer

And I am very glad to know that there are at least two other people who are interested in this swap, who share my preference for totally natural fibers  :manyheart  :yarn :yarn

I'm sending in my survey in just a few. I would like to only receive natural fibers as well. I use acrylic in a lot of projects, but for spring/summer I prefer cotton, bamboo or hemp yarns as well as some of the more exotic fibers like linen, silk or milk protein. 

I just love the names of all of the natural fibers. I have never heard of milk protein. I would love to try some silk. I have used hemp before and it is fun to use.

Well, shoot, two years ago, hardly anyone wanted to do the Fibre Au Naturelle Swap, so we didn't offer it this year. Now this yarn swap is full of people who want to swap natural fibers. Dang, I didn't have my psychic hat on when I made the schedule! LOL

But this actually is why, at the end of the year, I always ask people what kinds of swaps they'd be interested in. So let me know, come November, what you want to swap in 2014.

I want to get in on this swap so badly, but will have to look over my budget and see if I can re-allocate some things. My son has a summer program that we have to finish paying for in April so at the moment yarn money is nonexistent. If I can figure out a way to make it work by the 31st, I'll get my survey sent. I hope everyone who has signed up gets some yummy and wonderful yarn! I can't wait to see pictures.  :)

May I butt in, with coordinator hat on, to say you may, of course, request any particular kind of fiber you want. As Mom4x wrote, just give your partner a few choices (for example, not everyone has a store with hemp yarn nearby and can afford it, but lots of stores, including JoAnn's and Michaels, sell bamboo and cotton yarns, so if you give your partner 2 or 3 choices, you'll get what you asked for).

And may I remind all the partners out there to please listen to your partner and get her what she wants? We have, in the past, had people who sent their partners exactly the kind of yarn that the partners' surveys specified they did not want to get. It's almost as if they had not read their partners' surveys at all.

This completely ruins the swap for the recipient. Who wants their yarn, that they spent their hard-earned money on, given away or throw away? Who wants to hurt someone's feelings? And honestly, those recipients usually write down that person on their survey as someone they do not want to swap with in the future. No one wants to be that person!

So yes, specify fiber types, and please honor your partners preference. Let's keep swapping fun for all!

PS I think bamboo and linen and cotton and hemp are all super choices for this swap, and if you've never worked with any of these, now is your chance to try something new. And don't forget thread. Thread vests and tops are just as cool as cotton or bamboo.

My viewpoint on affording the yarn for the swap, we each have to spend at least $25, so we can afford  two $12.50 skeins as easily as ten $2.50 skeins.  

The craft stores in my area are not large stores and they have a limited supply of yarn of any kind, and what they do have is almost all acrylic or a blend with a high percentage of acrylic. For completely natural yarns with no acrylic content, it is slim pickings.   I really hope that people will be open to seeking out Local Yarn Stores that have a different set of yarns and much greater selection of natural fibers.  The LYS in my area are constantly getting in new brands and it's really an adventure to shop there.