Why do you crochet?

jimbo

Posted this question over in Ravelry and there are some interesting responses, so I thought why not here, in the very heart of crochet.

Think about it. Why do you crochet? What drives you to crochet? Now, mind you, I'm FAR from trying to talk you out of crocheting. I personally feel that crochet HAS to be one of the best things in the world to do, because, well, crochet either produces the nicest people in the world, OR the nicest people in the world crochet. That's one hugely important thing that keeps me making hooks... the world's most supportive and friendly folks (who crochet) are my customers. So what is it about this amazing art that drives YOU to crochet?

Wow!  I can't give you one reason!  I love to crochet because: I love making things for gifts; I cherish the comradeship of my "girls" in the crochet class that I teach at our Senior Center; I love making prayer shawls for those who are in Hospice, and their families; I love donating lapghans to our brave wounded warriors in Veterans' hospitals, and hats to cancer patients, and, well...I just LOVE crocheting!!

There's lots of reasons. 

It gives me something to do with my hands.

it's kept me from losing my mind to boredom after a particularly bad car wreck and following surgy when I wasn't physically able to to much else. 

It never fails to amaze me how a simple string and a crooked stick can make the most beautiful things.

It reminds me of my grandmother.

It makes the most wonderful presents.

That's just off the top of my head.

I learned because I wanted to be able to make doll's clothes and toys for my nieces and nephews.  The girls love their dolls and the price for clothing was outrageous.  The boys love the ami's and other toys I make.  It's fun to see the items come together.

It's relaxing.  It keeps me distracted when things can be tense, when I'm stuck waiting, etc.

Since I've lost the woman that taught me it helps me stay close to her.

It gives me a creative outlet.

There's lots of reasons. 

It gives me something to do with my hands.

it's kept me from losing my mind to boredom after a particularly bad car wreck and following surgy when I wasn't physically able to to much else. 

It never fails to amaze me how a simple string and a crooked stick can make the most beautiful things.

It reminds me of my grandmother.

It makes the most wonderful presents.

That's just off the top of my head.

What RoseRed said plus it's way cheaper then a psychiatrist! 

I agree, it is more than just one reason.

I crochet because since my mom taught me when I was a preteen (and neither one of use ever thought it would become a lifelong passion), it keeps me closer to her since she passed away in Oct. 2012.

That is one reason, second is because I love it. I enjoy making gifts and seeing the reaction when they are received.

I do a lot for charity organizations and it gives me a sense of warmth to  know I am helping those in need at that time in their lives.

It is therapy when everything seems to be overwhelming and it is something I can control. And it keeps  my mind occupied, even with the simplest pattern or a complicated one. 

I'd say it is cheaper than a shrink but not when I am spending money on yarn and books, LOL!!!!!

Or maybe just because I can!!!

LI Roe

I crochet because I love it. Why I love it is more difficult to answer. I think that being able to make something amazing using a hook and yarn is like art, like taking a piece of paper and a pencil and producing something you want to share with others. My passion is crocheting for children right now. To see the looks on their faces when you give them that toy or blanket just lights me up from the inside.

• It helped me quit smoking (doing something with my hands) and I just couldn't stop (Why would I want to??!!)
  • There are things that I have made that other people have wanted - so it helps me make a little extra $$ to help take the stress off of my hubby. 
  • It helps me relieve stress. 
  • I am able to make things for my kids that no one else around here has.

I'm sure there are plenty of other 'reasons' I crochet but I just can't think of them right now!

It's relaxing & a stress buster for sure!

It is a great conversation starter when crocheting in public places - you inevitably meet someone!

It makes me feel like I am not spending idle but productive time.

and

IT'S FUN!!!! :yay 

Great answers! I'm thinking there's something a bit more primal there too, at least there is for me and hook making. Changing a stick into a tool is a pretty primal thing and gratifying on that level. So you're changing a gob of wool into a useful yet beautiful thing... kind of like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon. I really admire crocheters their ability to do that.

I love the whole process, choosing a pattern, picking out the yarn-either finding just the right skeins in my stash or opening that box that UPS has just delivered. I can't wait to get started on a new project, my bags of WIP's show that, lol, I just love starting those first few rows to see how the pattern develops.

Crochet keeps me learning new things- Along the way, I try the new tricks i've learned on Youtube or here on the 'Ville, like foundation rows, or a pretty shell stitch i've seen somewhere. I seldom/never follow a pattern all the way thru, I'm always looking to change something, somewhere. I find following a fussy pattern difficult, I think my meds interfere with my brain some days, tho I find following a graph is okay.

Crochet gives me a purpose- I've got 3 bins of yarn/thread stacked over in the corner, enough to keep me going for a while. I'm pretty much bed-bound, unable to sit for more than a few minutes, but I can prop myself up and crochet for hours, so I'm pretty happy. If I didn't crochet, I don't know what i'd do. I've tried to knit, and I can, but it's not so comfortable so I stick with crochet.

Crochet feels good, I can do something for someone else- Right now at the foot of my bed I have 2 baby afghans, 3 tiny sweaters, 3 tiny hats, 6 tiny booties, 6 flowery baby headbands, with a half an afghan still on my hook. My elbow is giving out, tho, from being propped up on it for the past 2 weeks, I just hope I can finish this last blanket before it bleeds.

Crochet makes me happy- I usually get some sort of sing-song thing going along with my stitches, helps me remember and kind of zones me out as i work along the rows. On a good day, I can almost forget I'm In pain.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to make pretty things for my house and for me.

It keeps my hands busy. I also do cross-stitch and switch back and forth between the crafts.

It gives me something to do when sitting around with my husband when he watches TV. Even if I am interested in the program, I prefer to do more than just sit there.

I get to bond with my knitting daughter over yarn.

I always saw my mother crocheting making doilies and many other things and was an avid knitter and sewing too. I was nine years old in school in a special class and teacher that ask if all the girls would like to learn to crochet we all decided that we wanted to learn the boys in class where taught another craft. I was so proud to be crocheting learning to make a large granny square into a blanket my mom was surprised that I wanted to learn. I found that I really enjoyed crocheting it was relaxing and like what I was making. I learn to knit at fourteen from my mom she wanted me to knit squares I said I wanted to learn to make baby sweater and I did it really turned out neat. I find I never have enough tools or patterns today to do all the crafts I love and the yarn is like candy looking for another pretty color or design to make something one year I crochet thirty six different afghans. Now as I get older I see even more different beautiful yarns and the colors are fantastic the need to experiment with them too. I like that I can take my love of crocheting any where and it is a conversation getter with both men and woman. It started with crochet and I venture out to learn many other needleworks like, knitting, needlepoint, looms of all kinds, plastic canvas, embroidery and many others the love of yarn and hook started the thirst and love to learn more each day. I been at it for sixty nine years and the love of crochet I hope I never lose this love of mine. Great question here makes go back remember how it all started thank you.

It is relaxing. It gives me something productive to do. I cant just sit and I care for an elderly woman and we sit alot. My crochet gives us something to talk about.

It never ceases to amaze me some of the beautiful things I can make. 

It makes great gifts and made some cash on the side. (to buy more yarn of course)

• 3 months later...

I crochet for many reasons. The reasons are as follows:

• To kill time
  • When I make a "hospital" run w/ my husband
  • To keep my nerves in check
  • Out of bordem
  • To doctor appointments

I know that I stated hospital runs...I mainly said that because hospitals here in texas are very well known for taking FOR EVER to do anything & I don't like sitting in a ER room or waiting area w/ nothing to do, so for awhile I was actually taking my crocheting w/ me to pass the time & I do believe I am going to be doing this again because I think in the very near future will be going to the hospital again for another major surgery for the hubby.

I have always crocheted some, but I really started doing it intensively when I fell in love with audiobooks. It is a perfect match - the book for my mind and the crochet for my hands. I make almost exclusively lapghans for donation, so I can use the same patterns repeatedly, lallowing me to give my attention to the book rather than to reading a pattern. The pattern repetition is ok  because the color can be endlessly varied, and I am a total color junkie. I love playing around with color and this is one reason the often scorned RH Super Saver (and it cousin Classic) are my favorite yarns - there is such a wide range of color that it makes planning and working through an afghan an extra pleasure.

I sometimes get more credit for the donated work than I deserve; this is really a selfish pastime. I make them just because it's fun for me, and then I give them away because I have no use at all for the finished products. I think I am more grateful to the organizations for taking them than they are to get them. I feel like they are doing me a favor by giving me an excuse to make more. It is my entertainment.

• 1 month later...

I watched my mom and grandma crochet and so I wanted to also. My first project was a tiny doily (Mom made gazillions of the wretched things!) that I made without pattern but with the basics of crochet. It was horrible, but my mom was actually impressed. From then on, it was afghans (PA has some cold winters!) and my mom's excess yarn still feeds my need to make something. And furthermore, when I crochet, I can still watch TV and not feel like I'm vegging in front of the screen!!!

Good question Jimbo!

I haven't been crocheting long. I suppose I could have picked up knitting too. But it was crocheting. The thing that attracted me most to it was how easy it is to learn and self teach. You could learn new stiches and new techniques from the patterns! and you can crochet with things other than yarn (thread). And the history!

It's a wonderful creative outlet and while I wish I could paint or draw as good as my grandmother, I just don't have the time or resources to take a class to do that. I'm a very creative person by nature and I love every aspect of putting a project together.

I suppose the reason crocheting is my hobby is because it is so accessible.

I do agree with everyone else about being productive, helping people, generosity as well.

Crochet began as a fun and creative thing for me. Eventually it became my relaxing craft too.

Very important to me, crochet was the only thing that brought me out of the deepest depression I'd ever been in. I'm not joking.

Also very important, I used crochet as my physical therapy after I almost lost a finger because of a cat bite. Physical therapy would have been a 50 mile round trip 3 times a week just to squeeze a rubber ball, which I thought was ridiculous. I asked the doctor if I could try crochet first, and she agreed. I made a small shawl, and when it was finished, my finger could move properly again. I even took the shawl in to show her.

There are a lot of reasons, for me. I like the creative outlet (and need it!), and I love how you start with nothing but a ball of yarn and a hook, and with a little time (or a lot, depending on the item) you wind up having a beautiful finished item that has some useful purpose. It can help save me from boredom in certain situations. I tend to be a bit fidgety, always moving in some way even if only a little. Crocheting helps me "fidget" without driving the people around me totally nuts. 

On a deeper level... it helps quiet my mind when I'm stressed out. When there's too much negativity going on around me and I'm ready to lose it, if I pick up a project, it very quickly helps me to let go of all that stuff and gets me to a calmer place where I can sort things out a little easier. 

• 1 month later...

I like keeping my hands busy, especially when I'm watching TV or listening to an audiobook.  And, unlike playing games on my phone, I get something out of it at the end!  I also like that it is pretty quick (my knitting roommate was a tad jealous that I finished a hat in three days where it would have taken her well over a week, neither of us are the fastest at our crafts ;))and I can take it with me.

It also gives me an excuse to buy more yarn!

the main reason i started crocheting was to learn to make the gorgeous crochet flowers... although i still havnt done that yet... but i also wanted to learn something new that i can sit on the lounge with my family and do while watching tv etc... and i did try knitting but i found crocheting was so much faster and easier to learn then knitting...

the main reason i started crocheting was to learn to make the gorgeous crochet flowers... although i still havnt done that yet... but i also wanted to learn something new that i can sit on the lounge with my family and do while watching tv etc... and i did try knitting but i found crocheting was so much faster and easier to learn then knitting...

:welcome to Crochetville!  You'll really enjoy this place!

Simply put, there is just something satisfying about creating something with your own hands, wether you are going by a pattern or creating something unique of your own design.

I have many hobbies, but crocheting is the most satisfying for me (besides sketching). It is also a practical hobby, because you can make and create things for others or yourself and it is something that I can be passed down to my children, and one of these days maybe even grandchildren.

Archived