Graphghan

Midds

Question

I've done one graphghan in the past (American Flag/Union Jack) which I did in tunisian stitch. I think it worked well for this because other than the stars there really wasn't much detail.

I want to make one with lots of detail but want to know which stitch will provide me the clearest lines without back stitching over every edge, cross stitch etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2 answers to this question

Tunesian stitch is the best for making graphgans.  The only problem with making anything with a picture on it is the more detail you want, the larger the finished product is going to be.

My suggestion would be to either get less detail and stick with tunesian OR use single crochet (which will give you a smaller afghan as tunesian makes a larger stitch). 

Just remember that when you do tunesian, you always read from the bottom up, right to left and when you do single crochet you read every other row left to right.

Good luck!

I have always preferred to use a blend of mostly Tapestry Crochet techniques for an graphed project.  The relative "squareness" of sc crochet, along with the use of slip stitches and russian joins to help smooth edges and color changes to be very useful. 

In addition to her excellent books,  Carol Ventura has many excellent references on her website and numerous videos to help you

Archived