What are your fav ghan patterns?

RoseRed

Question

I'm looking for a pattern for a solid color afghan for a housewarming gift for my massage therapist.

She LOVES the whole gothic, victorian, timeless, classic look. 

I'll be in Red Heart Super Soft in dark green.  I'm hoping for either a one piece or a MAM. 

It can be a ghan, throw or even a baby blanket.  I can size it up if I need to.  I'm not going to do squares or ripples.  I don't really want to do a round ghan but if it's pretty enough - it could be an option.

Anyways, I would just love it if you guys would share your favorite ghans - not just to make but also to look at and/or drool over.  I want it to be special and pretty.

I have a couple ideas of what I could make but I'm sure there's more out there that I haven't seen yet.  The yarn came in yesterday and I'm anxious to get started.

The Bernat Worsted Blanket is at www.bernat.com    You have to register(free)   Then under Crochet Patterns it is the Red Crocheted Blanket...Thats the easier way to find it, unless you want to go to www.marymaxim.com and do a look through all their free stuff...The simple shell is chain an odd # of st, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sk2 then sc, hdc, dc all in next ch, skip2 and repeat, ending with hdc in last st; turn, ch2 then sc in the dbl of last row...thats it...Try it it's fun.

You've probably already looked through the C'Villes free pattern list but, I'll list this one in particular anyway I've had bookmarked myself for future crocheting. The color use list would be endless.  Quick & Easy

Kathy - doesn't it tho?

he Marvelous in Mauve by Jean Leinhauser http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/marvelous-in-mauve is really pretty, too.  I like the look of the shells in the middle - I'm just not loving the border that's on it.  I don't have that one.

If I were to pick a round ghan I think the Exploded Pineapple is gorgeous http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/exploded-pineapple-afghan

Empress - the corner to corner has a really nice texture to it.  I never really looked at it closely before.  That's an idea.  I could see that being really gorgeous in a solid color.

I did a ripple once and swore it would be the only ripple I'd ever do (not including round ripples!)

Thank you everyone for sharing your fav patterns.  I still do'nt kow what I want to make.

Corner to Corner is easy.  I've made a lot of them.  They look just as nice in one color as several.

I've done a couple seed/granite stitch afghans (double crochet, single crochet, double crochet, single crochet).  You don't really need a pattern but if you want one there are a couple on Ravelry. Nice but subtle texture.

I've done a few scarves and a cat blanket and I want to do a bigger one in the moss stitch (single crochet, chain one, single crochet, chain one).  Again you don't need a pattern but there are a few on Ravelry.

How about a ripple.  I've seen a few one colored ripples and they are pretty. Such as this one.

TK's Shells and Lace Throw http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shells--lace looks a lot like spider lace.  Without the pattern I can't really but I don't think it's scs. 

I really like the Victorian Elegance http://www.ravelry.com/projects/kindredcottage/victorian-elegance .  There's so many pretty ones - it's just so hard to decide.

The Irish Lace and Roses is pretty.  I'm not sure I want to sew that many appliques on for someone else.

The direct link to the Worsted Blanket is http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=3660  That's an interesting take on a Vst.  It's very pretty.

I really like the look of the shell you wrote out, too.  I've done that before.

I was looking at the Sweet Dreams blanket.  I love Terry Kimbrough's stuff.  I was thinking about maybe doing that without the squares around the border.  I don't know.

I have a splitting headache today so checking out patterns is just about my speed.

I think my favorite as far as just a flat-out beautiful afghan is Sweet Dreams by Terry Kimbrough http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/leisure-arts-3015-absolutely-gorgeous-book-4---baby-afghans/patterns

It is one like you were describing, the center is relatively simple stitches, but the border is stunning. I think it looks old fashioned, but I don't know about gothic lol. I haven't even made a full-size baby blanket with it, only a doll blanket, but i can say the border takes forever with a million picots.  The pattern does call for lighter wt yarn, so if you made it in worsted it might be pretty well adult size without having to expand the pattern too much.  the inner border is part of the main body and integrated into the rows so it takes some figuring to change the size.

I'm also a fan of spiderweb patterns, i think they are very pretty and old fashioned/classic.  Now i am wondering if there are some that don't use sc...hmmmm.

(Oh and thank you for reminding me that i should make Sweet Dreams for my grandaughters' AG dolls, I hadn't thought of that for some reason but it would be a perfect gift!)

I really love the Diamond Trellis afghan, available on CPC.  I've made at least five of that pattern, either as an afghan, or cutting it down to make prayer shawls!  I almost have it memorized!  It isn't really hard--once you get going on it, it is EASY!  You can make in one solid color or in many colors, or a few coordinated colors!

Oh! I forgot to mention--it's very Victorian looking!

I have made Bernat Worsted Blanket as my signature piece...It is a freebie on Mary Maxim and also the Bernat site...I also like the simple shell dishcloth pattern which I use as a basis for baby blankets... My motto KISS...Both patterns are simple and easy to remember and look great too whether worked in varigated or solid colors...

Can you give us links?

I like KISS, too. I hate having to hover over a pattern, trying to follow that, along with keeping some sort of "mantra' with my hook. 

Yes, I love that book.  I just wish I had the spiral bound edition.

Ugh - I hate, hate, HATE spider lace.  I started making one for my Dad and it ended up the size of a baby ghan for his little 'princess' lapdog.  I just couldn't bring myself to finish it.  I have an aversion to scs.  Besides taking forever - they make my hands hurt really bad.  Carpel tunnel surgery once on each hand was enough for me.  Now I baby them.

I haven't looked through any of my books yet.  I know - I'm being lazy BUT I have a good reason, too.  You just never know what gorgeous patterns are out there that you haven't seen yet.  heehee

I've been in an "afghan mood" this month, going thru my 50+ pattern books that I've collected over the years. Always at the top of the pile is "Favorite Throws & Table Toppers to Crochet" , too bad it's priced itself out of everyone's budget, because it sure is my go-to book when I'm looking for a pattern.

It's been mentioned here on the 'ville several times, I just did a search, and see you own it, too. Just wanted to remind you there are some beauties in there, only a few I wouldn't do, compared to most of the books I own. did you poke thru it?

Some of those spider lacy afghans are pretty, too, I just have a hard time making anything that's named "spider"...ewww...

Thanks for posting this, I hope you get a lot of responses!!

love the spider design.  would make a great valance also or curtains.

Not quite sure if you are looking for a lot of texture, but I'm really happy with this Caron Mayflower Baby blanket.

Nice thing  about it, once you've started the pattern you can just "read' the previous row, you don't have to follow along with the written pattern again. It's easy to stop and restart anywhere, even mid-row.

I hope to make a double width one for myself soon. This works up pretty solid, good for warmth, not at all "airy' if that's what you are looking for.

Another choice, and always my favorite.., pineapples,, and they'd look really pretty in your dark green yarn.

thanks for this pattern.  I printed it off.  I like what you said about  you can just "read' the previous row, you don't have to follow along with the written pattern again

I've been in an "afghan mood" this month, going thru my 50+ pattern books that I've collected over the years. Always at the top of the pile is "Favorite Throws & Table Toppers to Crochet" , too bad it's priced itself out of everyone's budget, because it sure is my go-to book when I'm looking for a pattern.

It's been mentioned here on the 'ville several times, I just did a search, and see you own it, too. Just wanted to remind you there are some beauties in there, only a few I wouldn't do, compared to most of the books I own. did you poke thru it?

Some of those spider lacy afghans are pretty, too, I just have a hard time making anything that's named "spider"...ewww...

Thanks for posting this, I hope you get a lot of responses!!

The Skipping Stones is pretty but if I do a round one it'll probably look more like a doily.

I started the Mayflower blanket a while ago and for whatever reason the stitches didn't flow well for me.  It's beautiful but it and my brain didn't work well together.

I love texture.  When I'm done with this I also got the yarn to finally make an Aran for me.

Simple and easy aren't requirements for this BUT some of the most beautiful ghans I've ever seen have been simple stitches that look intricate with amazing borders on them.

Thanx so much for the ideas so far.  I can't wait to see what everyone else shares!

Not quite sure if you are looking for a lot of texture, but I'm really happy with this Caron Mayflower Baby blanket.

Nice thing  about it, once you've started the pattern you can just "read' the previous row, you don't have to follow along with the written pattern again. It's easy to stop and restart anywhere, even mid-row.

I hope to make a double width one for myself soon. This works up pretty solid, good for warmth, not at all "airy' if that's what you are looking for.

Another choice, and always my favorite.., pineapples,, and they'd look really pretty in your dark green yarn.

I always wanted to make this one http://priscillascrochet.net/free%20patterns/Free%20Afghans/Skipping%20Stones%20Circular%20Afghan.pdf    and I did get the yarn and started it but never finished.  I got confused as you turn some of the rounds and I couldn't remember which way I was going after I put it down and if I turned or not    I will have to do it over and someday I will. 

Archived