Crocheted spare tire cover

civitas

I made this tire cover. I used acrylic yarn and tied it on fairly tight. It is not obvious how it is attached just by looking at it. You would have to fiddle around behind the tire a bit to figure it out. Everyone is telling me that it will be damaged (by something other than weather) or stolen within a month. Thoughts? Has anyone done anything like this before? I accepted that bet so I hope it lasts! I park in my garage overnight so it will only be out in parking lots during the day. I never go anywhere secluded...just regular public busy parking lots.

crochet_spare_tire_cover.jpg

Beautiful, great idea to cover that ugly tire! I hope it's safe, it sure is pretty (and easy to identify if they dared to use it after they stole it.)

This was my test piece. I intend to make another most likely using nylon cord. I made a purse with La Espiga nylon and I love how durable it is. That stuff would be perfect for a tire cover. But now I have to leave this one on my car for a month and see what happens. I'm not concerned about the elements as I can take it off and wash it. The only possibility is theft but I think that is unlikely. To cut it off would ruin it. And it isn't obvious how it is attached. It would look strange to see someone messing around with it for a few min trying to figure it out and I hope that would deter theft. I have never left anything crocheted out in the public so I have no idea what the likelihood of theft is. I'll be sure to post again in 30 days when (hopefully) it is still on my Jeep.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived