Catherine's Wheel colors

TeriMcc

Question

5 answers to this question

Yellow, orange, pumpkin, rose, peach, violet Lilac, Light Blue, Bridal Blue, Leaf green, kelly green, and  brick,

These look like the closes to the colors in Red Heart.

I want to make it in the colors in the pictures, I just don't know the name of Red Heart colors to use.  The person that made this pattern said that she used different weight and brand of yarn and did not give me the names of the colors she used, when asked.

I want to make it in the colors in the pictures, I just don't know the name of Red Heart colors to use.  The person that made this pattern said that she used different weight and brand of yarn and did not give me the names of the colors she used, when asked.

In fairness to the source of your inspiration, giving you the color names is unlikely to be helpful if she used different weight and brands. And more than likely since it was a "stash buster" project for her - she did not keep track.  So it may not be possible for you to duplicate the colorways - particularly since you prefer to be limited to single brand...  Red Heart.

Even within Red Heart, names are really meaningless. It is the Color NO and in many cases the exact dyelot that really counts (I have seen the same color "renamed" to fit current fashion far too many times and we all know that the names are subjective since color is in the eye of the beholder more often than not. This is why you will often see disclaimer on manufacturer sites about "designer names but we/company only use the number"

Perhaps what you need to do is dig into your stash and spend some fun time laying out the colors you have in an order that looks pleasing to your eye.  Then back up about 10-15 feet and see how it looks from a distance - I like to do this on a table that I can leave it for a few days, sometimes adding removing or subbing a color in the sequence till it seems "right"

Once you have an idea what you like and where you may need to fill in, you can visit your local yarn source

more than anything I liked her tip about thinking about someone you love as you work - and for me that includes when choosing colors - what a great way to help to be sure you can

Enjoy the Making

Wheat

Archived