What kind of yarn to use?

Croshay

Question

I found a pattern online that I want to make, and the yarn used is Linie 274 Big Size.  It's 50% cotton and 50% polyacrylic.  For the knitting needles, it shows 5,5 - 7,0 (commas in between those numbers, no idea what that means).  The gauge shows 20 rows or 14 sc to be 10 cm.

What can I use that's comparable?  :think  

The pattern is in German, which isn't a huge problem, because it's mainly following a graph...and I already typed in the instructions into a translator and that part is "fairly" clear now...at least enough that I'm confident I can make it.

I just have to figure out a comparable yarn to use.

Thanks in advance for your help!

9 answers to this question

Ravelry has it as Bulky, 50% cotton/acrylic.

Hope this helps.

EDIT-- I poked around in the yarn section in Ravelry, most cotton/acrylic bulky seems to be discontinued, but I found this Loops and Threads at Michaels that may work... it's 100% acrylic

Mattenylou, thanks so much for poking around and helping me out!  I think I'm going to go with this 5th Avenue Coastal Cotton Yarn that I'd never heard of before.  http://www.herrschners.com/Product/5th+Avenue+Coastal+Cotton+Yarn+1.aspx

Now I just have to decide which color.  I'm thinking orange peel or caribbean sea... 

Mattenylou, thanks so much for poking around and helping me out!  I think I'm going to go with this 5th Avenue Coastal Cotton Yarn that I'd never heard of before.  http://www.herrschners.com/Product/5th+Avenue+Coastal+Cotton+Yarn+1.aspx

Now I just have to decide which color.  I'm thinking orange peel or caribbean sea... 

Be sure to check your gauge with this 5th Avenue, it's only #4, medium weight, and the original yarn you're substituting was for bulky yarn which would be a #5. Maybe going up on your hook size will work out okay. It's not the type of top that you have to worry about making it "fit" exact, but you don't want to have it end up too small, either.

It's going to be a fun Summer top, I think you should make a couple, maybe black or white would get a lot of use, too, along with your orange and blue .... Have fun!

Yeah, I noticed that.  I thought I'd start with about a J hook (it calls for H and I tend to crochet a little on the tight side) and see how it works up.  Since the end result is supposed to be open and airy anyway, I think it will be fine.

Thanks so much for your help and input! 

Although other countries may have slightly different laws (many of the "new" countries resulting from the dissolution of the USSR are not signatory to the Geneva Convention)  That site has chosen to post INCOMPLETE scans of copyrighted material from the OnLine yarn manufacturer pattern magazine.

Here is a link to the info page for Linie 274 Big Size  in the OnLine company info pages.

This  pattern was most recently published in OnLine's 2011 Spring/Summer Issue no 24 - It is still listed among available pattern Books on the US distributor website ( knittingfever.com ) and may be available from a number of retailers.  In fact many of us just got new shipments of this issue so you may also be able to find it at a better price by working with an independent Retailer ( while buying thru KFI's website DOES result in orders filled by individual independent retailers, the pricing does allow for the Shopatron's fees paid by retailer to Shopatron for managing the financial transcations) 

It may be helpful to know that unless you happen to normally follow directions for bust size approximately 36 - you will need to be comfortable with sizing - especially if for plus sizes.  OnLine, like many European yarn support magazines, usually only publishes patterns in a single, usually S-M sizing instructions.   Still both OnLine and Katia - particularly in their Spring Summer collection - often has some really wonderful Crochet tops and usually several that "mix" crochet and knit within the same pattern. 

Hope this is helpful. 

Incidentally, about the COMMA in the  sizing notation. 

First that is KNITTING needle so you will need to experiment to get the pattern author's gauge for best results.

In European notation, a COMMA is used in number rather than a decimal

Thus,  5,5  means 5.5 and that is in metric, so in US notation, it would likely be printed as 5.50mm

You also need to be aware that NO CROCHET information is included in the label instructions ALL the information on the yarn label is KNITTING and that is quite different. 

Wheat, thank you for that information.  However, I don't see the pattern listed in the magazine you referenced.  I would be glad to purchase the full pattern - preferably in English - if it is available.

Wheat, thank you for that information.  However, I don't see the pattern listed in the magazine you referenced.  I would be glad to purchase the full pattern - preferably in English - if it is available.

For both OnLine and Katia pattern publications, Knitting Fever usually only shows the pictures that feature the yarns they have chosen for the US Market.  The yarn used in this garment was not.  In fact, sometimes they do not bring in every publications - both OnLine and Katia put out 2-4 twice a year -

I know these magazines are not inexpensive, although I personally collect at least the Spring/Summer & Children issues each year, We do stock as much as we can all issues - the seasonal magazines are rarely reprinted - although some of the special issies like Katia's two crochet issues have been. 

Speaking of crochet - as with all European publications, you will need to check to see what terminology they are using US or UK.  And THAT is entirely inconsistent (can you tell I recently found this out the most difficult way possible)

I should tell you that what is missing are the brief finishing instructions.   As I said, the Euro mags "assume" a certain level of skill.  That is why Sion initially wrote the Knitting Architect books so that US knitters could adapt the European patterns to their personal size.

You can certainly order the book thru the KFI website, but I think you will find better pricing and shipping if you decide to buy directly from an Indie Retailers.

Let me know if you need help finding the book

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

The link posted in the first post was removed by original poster after she realized it went to a site that didn't belong to the pattern publisher/copyright owner.

As Wheat mentioned, unfortunately, there are lots of sites out there (usually in sites outside the United States) that allow their members to post scanned images from copyrighted patterns. These countries may not follow the same copyright laws/conventions that we do.

However, since Crochetville is based in the US, we follow US copyright laws. We do not allow links to sites that publish copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owners.

Please remember: downloading patterns from these sites takes away deserved income from the pattern designers and book/magazine publishers. If too many sales are lost to pirated patterns published without permission, the loss in revenue will mean less money to publish new patterns. So if you accidentally run across a site like that and find a pattern that you love, instead of downloading the pattern to use for free, please purchase a legitimate copy through a business that is authorized to sell it.

If you run across a site that has complete patterns posted from many different books and magazines, that's a pretty good indication it's a site we don't want to link to here at Crochetville. If you want to post a link and you have any questions about whether or not you should, please use the Contact Us form to send us the link. We'll be happy to let you know if it's okay to post here.

Archived