WalMart Comes Through!

I decided a couple of months ago that one of my projects this year was going to be a cotton hoodie for myself.  I want it to be cotton because the winters here in south Texas are very mild, this year I think the coldest it got was about 35 a couple of nights, but it would still go up into the 50s during the day.  Acrylic yarn is just way too warm to get much use down here as a wearable.

First I went to Smiley's Yarn and checked their online yarn sale prices.  They had Bernat Cozy Cotton and another Bernat cotton/acrylic blend for $1.99 a skein.  Pretty good!  I had to order a minimum of $50 worth of yarn because that's their policy but I decided that the extra skeins that were not needed for the hoodie could be bought in lots of different colors and made into the little cross-body smart phone bags I've been making.  I decided to check another site or two before placing my order, though, to see if I could find a better deal.

I went to the Peaches and Creme site figuring I might make out better buying the stuff right from the manufacturer.  The suggested price on the cones was $16something, but the sale price was $11something a cone.  I tried to remember what I paid the last time I bought cones of cotton from them because the $11 seemed a bit higher, but it wasn't bad.  I couldn't decide on a color, though, wherever I was going to get it from, so I decided I'd wait and search a bit more later that night before finally placing an order.

DH wanted to run to WalMart when I got out of work, so after I finished my shift we headed out to WallyWorld.  I wasn't even going to bother looking at their yarns because they really only have acrylics, and since they downsized their craft aisle they really don't even have too much of a selection of those.  I decided to take a look anyway just because I cannot be in a store that sells ANY quantity of yarn without checking it out.  Well, while they didn't have a huge selection of colors, they DID have a color that really caught my eye!  I don't normally like the variegated yarns for garments because you never know how the colors are going to pool and sometimes they can pool strangely.  But the colors in this variegated just spoke to my soul and I had to buy it, even if I didn't end up using it for my hoodie.  It turned out they had 5 cones of this variegated color called "Hippi" that I thought was just gorgeous!     http://www.peachesandcreme.com/yarns/cones/hippi

The price?  $7.90 a cone!!!  I could not believe that WalMart was almost $4 a cone cheaper than the manufacturer!   I bought five of them even though I only needed between 3 and 4 because I figured I'd make something for my dog with the unused yarn so we can match!  LOL!  I don't know what I'll end up making for him but I have started my hoodie and will post a pic of it as soon as it's done.  

It's strange that a store would carry yarn cheaper than the manufacturer sells it, but yes, WalMart does sell it for less, if you have a store near you.

I love that color! It's a "wear it with blue jeans" colorway and I'll bet you find a lot of items to make with it. I'll bet you'll need a purse and a tote to go with your hoodie. Maybe a beanie hat and fingerless mitts.

I would have picked that same color, too, seems I always go with the blues. A hoodie should be a fun project.

Nice that you and your pup are going to be sporting matching outfits this Spring, can't wait to see them!

Love that color!  I can't wait to see your hoodie finished.  It's going to be gorgeous.  My Wally World does't carry much cotton either and I thought they charged more than that for their cones.  I'm definitely going to do a double check next time I shop there! :)

I was surprised to find five cones of it!  On their other cones the most they had of any one color was three, and while that probably would have been enough for the project, remembering the price that the manufacturer was charging online I figured buy it when I see it because I don't know when I'm going to see it again at that price.  Although it wasn't on sale at WalMart the color selection wasn't all that varied, they had a cream with little pastel splotches here and there (that was the one I had originally looked at figuring it would go with just about EVERYTHING), they had a medium blues variegated and one with light blues and lavender variegated, and they had white.  Blah. Oh, and they had one cone of yellow and one cone of red.  I thought "who orders this stuff that they thought THOSE colors would sell well?"

Anyway, I'm making the hoodie a lot bigger than I need it, mainly because I LOVE big, baggy sweatshirts and I always feel warmer in them when they're big and baggy.  They're somehow cozier, IMO.  I know, I'm nuts.  LOL!   Here's a link to the pattern:    http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=4091&cps=21191

I like the styling of this, but I wouldn't be comfortable with the sleeves coming just to the beginning of my wrists with no break in them like they do in the picture.  I like it when the sleeves stay long enough even when I have my arms stretched out, in fact, I am going to alter the ribbing of the cuffs so that there are holes for my thumbs to go through.  I have a fleece hoodie like that and I LOVE it!  I also like it to hang down a bit longer, say, partially covering my butt because I HATE being at the beach, sitting on the sand, feeling WIND go up the back of my shirt because it's not long enough!  So there you have it.  I'll post a pic when it's done.  If I get ambitious enough, maybe I'll post one when I'm about halfway through to show my progress.  Right now, I am almost finished with the front and so far I LOVE it!   :manyheart

Oh.. that does look pretty.  Can't wait to see your version of it.

I did go to wally world and picked up 2 cones of "Hippi".  I hate to think that they might raise their prices on that yarn.  I'm a hoarder of yarn. :yes 

Ooh!!  Good for you, Terri!  It's beautiful in person, isn't it?  I thought it was pretty in the photo, but when I actually SAW the yarn, the colors are just so deep, vibrant and pretty!  And then with the white, it's just really a VERY pretty variegated colorway!  I can't wait to see what YOU make with it!   :clap 

Not sure what I will make out of it yet.

But I'm finding myself purchasing at least 2 cones of cotton yarn every time we go to wally world.  I'm so scared that they might raise the prices over night.  Just hope they don't look at the web site.  LOL

I am finding that the website doesn't have many colors anymore.

Archived