8' Square Afghan For My Mum

Zoe Deterding

What a beautiful afghan love the pattern and colors that is a lot work to make one that size. Gives me idea to use many variegated yarns I have. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks!  If you do one, we need to see a picture!

WOW!!!!!  What a beautiful piece!!  And for someone so new to crochet!  Congrats, that's quite an accomplishment!  I just love the way it's done in all different variegated yarns, SOOOO pretty!

Many thanks! I wish I could say I did this with little experience, but as I said, I've been crocheting for almost 40 years (and done some afghans before but not on this scale).  This has to be the thing I'm most proud of and love the colours.  My mother certainly appreciated it and it's taken pride of place downstairs in her home instead of on her bed! LOL.

• 4 weeks later...

Your afghan is absolutely super. Did you use a regular granny square pattern for the squares?

Yes.  A few rows of traditional granny squares but I put four rows of single crochet stitches in green around each square.

I've got a couple of YouTube videos explaining it if you are interested.

• 1 month later...

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery praise, they say, and I have every intention of stealing your colors. I don't like the way most patterns look with variegated, but I have tons of them (don't ask why) and I would never have thought of using so many across the color spectrum. I'm also a sucker for green and I have (way too many) skeins of hunter green begging to be used up. I will definitely have to try this when I get some current projects out of the way. However, I have to confess, I will not have the patience to do all those rows of sc - I admire you for it. Maybe some hdc.

This is a gorgeous afghan. You have every right to be terribly proud of it. And thanks for the idea and the inspiration.

CrochetAddict - I took the liberty of posting this link on Frugal Village in a thread where some of us discuss using up our various hobby stashes. I hope you don't mind - I know I should have asked first, but did it before I thought. I made a few squares when I got home from work last night, and we usually show each other what we are working on. I wanted them to see how pretty this was.

If you would rather it weren't there, I'll see if I can get the link deleted.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery praise, they say, and I have every intention of stealing your colors. I don't like the way most patterns look with variegated, but I have tons of them (don't ask why) and I would never have thought of using so many across the color spectrum. I'm also a sucker for green and I have (way too many) skeins of hunter green begging to be used up. I will definitely have to try this when I get some current projects out of the way. However, I have to confess, I will not have the patience to do all those rows of sc - I admire you for it. Maybe some hdc.

This is a gorgeous afghan. You have every right to be terribly proud of it. And thanks for the idea and the inspiration.

CrochetAddict - I took the liberty of posting this link on Frugal Village in a thread where some of us discuss using up our various hobby stashes. I hope you don't mind - I know I should have asked first, but did it before I thought. I made a few squares when I got home from work last night, and we usually show each other what we are working on. I wanted them to see how pretty this was.

If you would rather it weren't there, I'll see if I can get the link deleted.

I am indeed very flattered and more than happy for you to share the pictures with any group.  I don't know where I got the patience to make this as I am not normally a patient person!  I am definitely more than happy to use the pictures and copy the ideas.   Many thanks for the kind comments.

Archived