8' Square Afghan For My Mum

Zoe Deterding

I'm new to this site, just joined today.  So, I'm checking out various places and thought I just had to post in the afghan section!  I started crocheting in ernest last April after starting a very strict diet in February as a means of keeping my mind and fingers occupied!  I learnt to crochet from my grandmother almost 40 years ago.

I'm currently making a lot of smaller items mainly for selling - like scarves, hats and wine bottle covers.  This afghan was a present for my mother but I took videos and pictures of it on my bed before I handed it over.

post-66656-0-43734400-1362656279_thumb.jpg

post-66656-0-33341100-1362656308_thumb.jpg

Wow!! That thing looks large!! Very pretty afghan & I love that one square of orange right in the middle!! Very pretty & job well done :)

Thanks!  I have to admit I am very proud of this, has to be the best thing I think I've made.  I have done other afghans before but very pleased with the way this turned out.  They are connected together with a pale pink yarn, single crochet stitches.

​That is gorgeous!!  I'm in the process of making a similar one, but using black to join the squares.  I might make another one, and join it with a lighter color, like you did--that really makes it look totally different!  Great work!! :yes

Welcome to Crochetville!

That is gorgeous!! I'm in the process of making a similar one, but using black to join the squares. I might make another one, and join it with a lighter color, like you did--that really makes it look totally different! Great work!! :yes

Welcome to Crochetville!

Thanks! I really wasn't sure how the colours were going to work. But I did have a little spark of an idea before I joined them all together because I really wasn't sure if I should go for a light colour or not so I made a little miniature afghan using 9 half-sized squares and joined them using a pink to see what it would look like. It wasn't the shade of pink I went for but it gave me an idea of what the final afghan might look like.

post-66656-0-58831700-1362674082_thumb.png

Well to Crochetville!  What a gorgeous afghan!  I bet your Mother just loves it!!!  How long did that take you to do?

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

It took me about three months, around doing normal life stuff but should have taken me more like 2.5 months.  There are 225 squares and after doing about 70 of them (maybe a bit more) I decided I wasn't happy with the way I connected the green border around each square so I unpicked all the green bits and re-did those which took me about two weeks!  I have some videos showing the blanket before I gave it to my mother.

WOW!!!!!  What a beautiful piece!!  And for someone so new to crochet!  Congrats, that's quite an accomplishment!  I just love the way it's done in all different variegated yarns, SOOOO pretty!

Archived