Hello!

I'm putting some thought into doing a craft fair this coming summer and I wondered what your opinions were on the quantities I should have available. I mainly do amigurumi toys and I was thinking of doing 4 or 5 of each thing. With the bigger ones being more of a 'one of a kind' thing. Is that too many? not enough? I also do cushions and baby blankets and was going to have one on display as an example and then take orders. Or do you think people are more interested in already finished items they can buy there and then?

Any other hints and tips?

That sounds about right!  You never know what's going to sell at your first Crafts Show!  You can always make more of something for your next show, if you sell out at the first one.  Also, you might make up some small items that you can sell for $1 or $2, for the kids, or for small gifts.  Also, get some business cards to pass out, so that they can call you later to order something they saw in your booth.  Most of all--HAVE FUN!

Most shoppers at craft show want instant gradification. If they see something that catches their eye

they purchase than and there.

If you want consignment work you might want to establish yourself with small inique shops. A womans

shop could bring orders for sweaters, shawls ans so on. If they have a few items to display you could find a good source of income.

I don't do craft fairs, but create on consignment for a couple of shops.

Hi, 

I've been doing craft fairs for about 3 years now...

I have better luck in the fall with Christmas and cooler weather. 

Afghans and baby blankets never sold (it may be my location) but I did make some extra large granny squares and did a tight stitch to join them and they folded nice (people bought these for their wheel-chair bound family members).  But they didn't sell that well.  The smaller items sold (cheaper items). 

Good luck with your craft fair....if you don't have business cards (i don't) you can do what i do, i bring a notebook with me, and take down email address and then i send out an email before the next craft fair.  I also bring printed slips stating where i will be next... (date, time, address with cross roads....like ..the church is between 3rd and main street) and put this in the shopping bag. 

Talk to the other vendors...they can be your best contacts for your next fairs  ...

Don't be discourage if you don't sell much...my first craft fair I sold $6 worth of stuff...my husband came by and spent it on lunch.  The next fairs were much better.  People remembered me from the first fair and they bought more the second...time around.....I had one lady come to all four fall-winter fairs i did last year (and they were only a week apart from each other) because she showed the girls in her office and they wanted some stuff.

Good Luck again..l.and like that other poster said.....have fun...

Popeyes girl....

I also found that Autumn and pre-Christmas shows did the best. Remember that people are often looking for gifts. Sometimes sets sell great, like a dishcloth and scrubby set, or bathcloth and soap or loofa set.

One of my sisters does matching dishcloth and scrubby sets for all her friends in her trailer park, and the women are all crazy over them. She crochets a few ruffled rnds around each scrubby.

This year, some of the women even asked my sister outright if she was making some of these kitchen sets for them!

Archived