Career in Crochet- Questions

I'm not sure which place this question most likely falls, so feel free to move it if needed.

It is my dream to be a crochet designer. And I had noticed that a lot of major craft designers have degrees in art and such. I am just starting college and want to pursue a career in crafts, mainly crochet (with knit) but am clueless about the degree and courses I would need. Would I need textile and fashion design? If so, where do I go from there? Can someone help point me in the right direction? :think

While it may be helpful to study fashion design or earn an artistic degree, I would say it isn't necessary to be a designer. I'm a soon-to-be published designer who has a bachelor of science degree (pre-med biology) and a master's in marriage and family therapy. My immediate friends who are also designers either have not gone to college or have a non-art degree. What we do all have in common is an undying passion for crochet. 

What I can suggest to you is to look into joining the CGOA, and if financially possible for you, attend one of the Chain Link conferences. The Professional Development Day offered at both conferences is extremely helpful in getting started as a designer. I also suggest applying for the Crochet Associate Professional designation through CGOA. This will allow you to receive a mentor (absolutely free) which is invaluable. It's also important to network with other designers and crocheters. Seek out crochet groups in your area, and if there are none then start up a group!

While it may be helpful to study fashion design or earn an artistic degree, I would say it isn't necessary to be a designer. I'm a soon-to-be published designer who has a bachelor of science degree (pre-med biology) and a master's in marriage and family therapy. My immediate friends who are also designers either have not gone to college or have a non-art degree. What we do all have in common is an undying passion for crochet. 

What I can suggest to you is to look into joining the CGOA, and if financially possible for you, attend one of the Chain Link conferences. The Professional Development Day offered at both conferences is extremely helpful in getting started as a designer. I also suggest applying for the Crochet Associate Professional designation through CGOA. This will allow you to receive a mentor (absolutely free) which is invaluable. It's also important to network with other designers and crocheters. Seek out crochet groups in your area, and if there are none then start up a group!

Yes, yes, yes, and yes again...I belong to CGOA and went to the Chain Link in Reno last September.  Was extremely helpful in so many way I can't begin to tell you.  I'm still riding off that high.

I'm 53 and the only college that I took was classes for broadcasting...I do other classes on line and where I can for this and that.  I'm basically a newbie at actually getting patterns written, self published and sold, but am working on submitting to magazine (have submitted one proposal thus far.)  If you ever get the chance to go to Chain Link, by all means sign up for the Professional Development day.  That will give you must needed information about all the ways one can have a viable career in the crochet industry through design, or another of the other avenues such as teaching, tech editor, contract crocheter, and so on.  But I also think that if it's important to you to go to school for art/design, etc. it could only help you.

While at Chain link, I actually had someone help me with the questions that you need to answer if you apply for Assoc. Professional for the Crochet Guild of America (CGOA.)  When I got home, I very carefully put my packet together with everything required to be recognized as an Assoc. Professional and mailed it off.  I just was assigned my mentor a few weeks ago.  Passion is key.  Having clear goals are very good and the questions that are asked help you figure that out in the long run.

Edited by eurolyons

You don't need a degree in arts or fashion or textiles to be a successful crochet designer. In fact, many most likely do not have this background.

Since crochet cannot be made on machine, there is not a large market for mass-produced crocheted items, which means there's not a large market in the commercial fashion industry for crochet designers. (Some crochet is mass-produced, but by women and children in third world countries who make pennies per hour---not a good thing). Most crochet designers produce patterns for sale to other crocheters. In this industry, there are no requirements for that type of background, although that sort of education could help you be a better designer.

If you want to go for that type of education, figure out what other use you'll make of it, since very few people make full-time livings as crochet designers. That education could be very helpful if you want to work in the actual fashion industry.

As the most recent past president of CGOA (my term expired December 31, 2012), I also recommend CGOA's associate professional program. Membership in the organzation is only $35 a year. For no extra cost, you can apply to the associate professinoal program and be assigned a mentor in your primary focus area. You can download a PDF application to fill out and mail in or you can actually fill it out on the CGOA website.

For general reference, here are the prerequisites for applying:

1. Identify professionals you want to emulate in your chosen area.

2. Identify at least 5 web sites or blogs that could serve as information resources for you.

3. Since you want to design, you must have designd and written at least two designs that have, as a minimum, been tested by acquaintances (pattern testers found through Crochetville would qualify).

You have to submit proof of qualification in the form of:

A. One of the following:

-- Tear sheet of one of your published designs (can be self-published; can be a free pattern)

-- Cover letter from a recent proposal for work (design submission)

B. One of the following:

-- Business card or business letterhead (can be printed from your personal computer)

-- URL for your website, crochet blog, Etsy store, Ravelry designer page

-- Photocopy of business license or resale tax certificate

You also have to fill out a Goals Assessment, as LeAnna mentioned. You have to provide answers to the following:

1. Describe your efforts to work professionally so far.

2. Describe your specific strengths related to establishing yourself professionally.

3. List your specific needs regarding establishing yourself professionally.

4. What are your professional goals for 1 year and 5 years?

5. If you have checked the box requesting a Mentor, what are you hoping a Mentor will do for you?

6. What do you believe being a professional will be like?

While LeAnna had someone guide her through the process of answering the questions, it's perfectly fine to answer the questions on your own without any outside input. Some people are just more comfortable talking with others who have already been through the process. Others are perfectly fine doing it on their own.

The questions are not meant as a test. They're primarily meant to assess someone's general knowledge and commitment to becoming a professional as well as their expectations. If it's obvious someone has totally unrealistic expectations about a design career (like they expect a $75,000 a year income within one year of getting started), then an assigned Mentor will know some topics to address.

• Like 1