HI THERE I'M NEW

smoggy66

I just joined and am new to posting anything on these sites.  I'm married and have grown children and 4 grandchildren and another will be born in August.

I live in Northern California and am active in a local thrift store which has been around for 74 years and spends the money the store makes on programs that benefit the county I live in.

We have a Clothes Closet which give new clothes away to children ages 0 - 12, and sizes Newborn to size 14, for both boys and girls.

We have Make Difference, which gives toiletries away to the homeless.

We have Warm and Dry which gives ponchos and clean socks to the homeless.

We give canned and stable food items to a local organization called FISH (Friends In Service Here)

We have a group called the Mad Hatters that make hats on a loom and these are given to kindergarten children in local schools.  This group also makes soft hats for the cancer centers and infusion centers here and down into San Francisco.

We have a group called the Chain Gang and they are crocheters who made 500 curly scarves last year for the program called Christmas Unlimited.  These were given out with the clothes to the girls ages 5-10.  This program gives new clothes, toys, books and toothbrushes to children or poor families.  We served over 2,000 children last year.

We give out scholarships to students at the Junior College in the medical fields.

We give out grants to organizations that are dependent on private donations to survive.

We give layette packages to the local hospitals to give to mothers who have no source of income.  These also go to the Visiting Nurses Assoc. and the unwed teen mothers group Nueva Casa.

I like what this organization stands for and that they are so philanthropic with the money they take in.

I head up the Chain Gang, or crocheters, and we are attempting to make 500 headwraps for the girls department this coming December.  I have 41 done so far, and only 459 to go LOL. 

Thank you for welcoming me to your group.

Susie

Archived