Hey, I'm new and i already need HELP! :)

Danielle Davies

hello fellow hookers.. in the crochet sense

My name is Danielle, I'm 22 and a restaurant manager. I love to crochet! Started off knitting with my nanna until she showed me how to do this. Going through a major doily phase at the moment since i've just moved into my first home with my boyfriend and our lovely cat :)

However, i've never made any clothing for myself.. so i tried to start tonight. Found a lovely pattern and got stuck on the 2nd row.. :o it shouldn't be complicated but it is! :( I've tried this pattern before and it just went wrong, so i thought i would ask for help the 2nd time around.

http://freevintagecrochet.com/coat-pattern/woolco-manual/kimono2

So, that is the pattern :) I'm unsure if each double crochet from the first row creates 2 double crochets in the 2nd row by crossing the 2 stitches? i think i'm complicating things. so the number of stitches doubles after every even row until there are 11 rows? any help would be appreciated :)

xxxx

Hi :hi and Welcome :welcome  to Crochetville from the West Coast of Florida.

Sorry I can't help with the question.  I do not make clothes.

Now we have a help section and you may find more help if you post your question there.

That's a pretty pattern. No, you're not adding stitches. You're crossing them by working one stitch ahead, then one back, if that makes any sense:

2D ROW-Join white, 1 double crochet in r st stitch, *skip 1 chain, 1 double crochet in next stitch, 1 double crochet in skipped chain stitch.* Repeat between *'s to end of row. Fasten off, turn.

I'm not sure why they wrote "in r st stitch", but what they mean is "row start stitch". In other words, if you had number tags to hang on the stitches:

Work a double crochet in stitch 1. Skip stitch 2. Dc in stitch 3. Now dc in stitch 2, which will cross the stitches (over or under, depending on which way you normally handle it, but it doesn't really matter here.) Skip stitch 4, dc in 5, go back and dc in 4...until you have used everything up to and including the stitch before the end. Double crochet in the last one and fasten off white.

Often a row of crossed stitches is followed by a straight row in order to keep them from getting too bumpy, so you work back across with color, double crocheting in every stitch, fasten that off, flip the piece over and work another Row 2. You do that up to Row 12, when you only work 12 cross stitches, and 13, where you work across 24 double crochets--short rows, to make the front part, then you work the other side the same way.

hello fellow hookers.. in the crochet sense

My name is Danielle, I'm 22 and a restaurant manager. I love to crochet! Started off knitting with my nanna until she showed me how to do this. Going through a major doily phase at the moment since i've just moved into my first home with my boyfriend and our lovely cat :)

However, i've never made any clothing for myself.. so i tried to start tonight. Found a lovely pattern and got stuck on the 2nd row.. :o it shouldn't be complicated but it is! :( I've tried this pattern before and it just went wrong, so i thought i would ask for help the 2nd time around.

http://freevintagecrochet.com/coat-pattern/woolco-manual/kimono2

So, that is the pattern :) I'm unsure if each double crochet from the first row creates 2 double crochets in the 2nd row by crossing the 2 stitches? i think i'm complicating things. so the number of stitches doubles after every even row until there are 11 rows? any help would be appreciated :)

xxxx

:welcome Danielle, from Pittsburgh

You are doing a cross stitch and should have the same number of stitches through row 12 where you fasten off :yes

Archived