what is this stitch?

kstan011

Question

Can anyone identify this stitch?  My grandma made it for me 20 years ago and now I want to make one for my kids.  But I have tried many stiches that just don't seem to be the same. 

post-66379-0-29918400-1361210694_thumb.jpgpost-66379-0-42232500-1361210700_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help, I haven't done any crocheting since my grandma showed me how to 20 years ago! :)

Kim

14 answers to this question

To me, it looks like it could be the brick stitch, as shown in this tutorial http://crochet.about.com/library/blcrazyst.htm

but with 3 stitches per "brick" rather than 4.

Due to the years of use, the stitches have stretched in places and compacted in others, so i think that any new piece of crochet is not going to really look exactly like it, even if it is the same stitch pattern.  

Following what Jennifer said in post 2, you could try doing 2hdctog, chain 1, then on the next row do the 2hdctog into the chain space, that might look very similar.  

It's very cool that you still have and use it!  

Oh, and welcome to the ville :hook

Thanks ladies! I did try two stitches in one, but it's not the same.  Grandma's stitch all comes together in one big stitch,  I have tried half double and a few others, just cant get it. I will look at the brick stitch, thanks Kathy!

Thats what I was going to a try half double cluster, saw a video (i can't read crochet instructions! LOL)  I will try and see how it goes!

Thanks again! :)

Kim

Here is a description and short very clear video of hdc2tog, aka hdc dec http://www.nexstitch.com/v_half_double_crochet_dec.html

Also dc dec is on there as well.

I believe it might be: draw up a loop as if doing a sc, but do not finsih , draw up another loop as if doing a sc, then draw through all loops together, ch 1 etc.  coming back, do that "sc cluster in the ch 1 space.

I initially thought it was a dc and hdc together with a chain in between.  But I tried it and that wasn't it.

I'm thinking it's simply a single and hdc across and done in the sc of the previous row and not working into the hdc, no chains.  So for the starting row I'd work an sc and hdc in every other chain to start.  I know it doesn't sound like it could be right, but give it a shot on a guage swatch!  Do at least 3 rows to see the pattern of the stitches and compare to your grandmas.

I like that Pineapple stitch, not so sure about the fringe for every row, but stitch is cool!

I have been busy, so I still haven't decided on a stitch to use yet.  Hope to figure it out soon so I can get it started! :)

Thanks again!

Kim

Archived