Boye Starting Points Slipper Bottoms Instructions

tabimcc

Question

Last week I picked up Boye Starting Points slipper bottoms. Inside with the slipper bottoms comes 2 sets of instructions. One is for knitting and the other one is for crochet slippers. I'm kinda confused. I completed the cuff part and now the instructions for the Gusset and Foot have kinda lost me.

My first question is has anyone done this project?

note: I'm working in a U shape curve.

post-66326-0-79505300-1360815227_thumb.jpg

Second question is can someone make sense of these directions for me?

post-66326-0-78492500-1360815193_thumb.jpg

I'm having problems making sense of row 1 in the Gusset & Foot section. I understand the ch 1, 13 sc along inner edge of heel. I'm confused with the 25 sc evenly along the sides of the rows. 

I have gone back and checked/counted my rows and work. I can't understand how they expect me to sc evenly 25 times if there are 34 rows. Can someone/anyone help me out?!

Thank you so much.

7 answers to this question

Hi!  I haven't made these.  I have purchased the soles, but they all come with knitting instructions.  I wish they had the crocheted instructions as well.  At any rate, from personal experience, I can tell you that when you crochet along the sides/ends of rows, you end up with an edge that stretches wider than the height of the combined rows.  I hope I'm explaining it well.  When making a sweater, for example, and making the buttonhole band or button band, if you were crocheting one sc at the end of every sc row, your band would fan the edge out somewhat.  So you skip some rows so that you end up with an edge that is nice and even with the height of the rows you worked on.  You do that or you switch to a smaller hook to crochet tighter and don't have to play around with how many rows you should skip.  In this case, since it's the same size hook, just crochet the 25 sc's that it calls for or the subsequent gussett rows or rounds will fan out.  I like to draw a little sketch and play around with evenly spacing out the missed stitches.  If it were me, I'd do the following:  sc in the first 2 sts, sk 1 st, 3 sc's, sk 1 st, 2 sc's, sk 1 st, etc., until reaching the end.  You should end with 3 sc's.  This way, you'll have 25 sc's.  

I hope this helps :)

Maria

Maria, 

Thank you oh so very much. I even started over to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. What you said totally makes sense and I greatly appreciate it. I honestly thought they would have made it a little more simple to understand.or something lol. I will have to dig them out of my Caboodle and get cracking on them :) 

Maria, 

Thank you oh so very much. I even started over to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong. What you said totally makes sense and I greatly appreciate it. I honestly thought they would have made it a little more simple to understand.or something lol. I will have to dig them out of my Caboodle and get cracking on them :)

I wasn't sure if you had gone ahead and worked something out because you posted a couple of weeks ago.  Good luck.  I hope you post pictures.  I'd love to see what you end up with :)

Maria!!! It worked!!!

LOOK!!!

They're fantastic!  I'm very happy I could help.  Wow, those look very tempting.  I'm going to see if they have the pattern on their site.  I have the soles, but the pattern is for knitting.  Great job!!  :clap

Google boy slipper soles and they are on the simplicity site and I believe they have the crochet pattern for them on that site.  I know they have some other patterns in crochet for the soles there too.    Mary

Hi!  I haven't made these.  I have purchased the soles, but they all come with knitting instructions.  I wish they had the crocheted instructions as well.  At any rate, from personal experience, I can tell you that when you crochet along the sides/ends of rows, you end up with an edge that stretches wider than the height of the combined rows.  I hope I'm explaining it well.  When making a sweater, for example, and making the buttonhole band or button band, if you were crocheting one sc at the end of every sc row, your band would fan the edge out somewhat.  So you skip some rows so that you end up with an edge that is nice and even with the height of the rows you worked on.  You do that or you switch to a smaller hook to crochet tighter and don't have to play around with how many rows you should skip.  In this case, since it's the same size hook, just crochet the 25 sc's that it calls for or the subsequent gussett rows or rounds will fan out.  I like to draw a little sketch and play around with evenly spacing out the missed stitches.  If it were me, I'd do the following:  sc in the first 2 sts, sk 1 st, 3 sc's, sk 1 st, 2 sc's, sk 1 st, etc., until reaching the end.  You should end with 3 sc's.  This way, you'll have 25 sc's.  

I hope this helps :)

Maria

Google boy slipper soles and they are on the simplicity site and I believe they have the crochet pattern for them on that site.  I know they have some other patterns in crochet for the soles there too.    Mary

Thank you!

Archived