Do you ever feel guilt?

Guilt's my middle name. Karol buys occasional yarn, I buy occasional tools. She used up a small space in the spare bedroom. I use up the 1/2 of the garage and 2/3 of the basement. She works, I'm retired. Oh yeah, I'm a guilt ridden guy. Happy, but far from guilt free.

Guilt. not so much as regrets probably, but not with crochet or yarn, but other important life stuff. I guess. I always tell my daughter, you are bound to have regrets in life, they are a part of the package. If you ever say you do not. you have not lived long enough yet!

I do feel guilty when I buy magazines, because it seems like they've gotten so expensive these days. I've picked some up and I swear seen a cover price of US$10. (Those go back on the shelf no matter how tempting the cover.) I only tend to buy books on sale, or used.

I also use the library to vet things before buying. I can get lots of things through ILL as long as they're in publication at least a year, and it's been a good way to check things out.

Since space is limited on our bookshelves at this point, I try to be really careful about what craft books I buy and only get ones that really have a lot of new information for me. If there's a new one I really want, I look to see if there's an older one I could weed to make room for it.

"If you ever say you do not. you have not lived long enough yet!" Very true! I always feel that people who say they have no regrets aren't trustworthy - either they're lying, or they're some sort of sociopath!

I know how expensive magazines are too; and I too always look and make sure I am going to use them

I don't know how they are selling all the magazines and books as high as they are ; I can remember when

Crochet Word was only $2 something; now you all know I am old lol

and how do they sell all those books? oh well.

at lest we do have them to help us get ideas from ; and learn from

if only we had an extra room or 2 ; or 3;  lol

I am very thankful for what we have though

I know what is it to be without things.

hugs

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably a little late to reply , but this is the biggest reason i started my little business, having four kids there wasn't much "extra" money for my habits. I starting looking

in thrift shops, garage sales, etc for yarn, patterns, any crafting items. Its surprising how many people buy all the material, yarn, supplies for crafts and then decide to get rid of

them. I have even taken 100 percent wool sweaters apart to reuse the wool, or just felt the sweater and make something with that. Hey sometimes it doesn't alway work but when

you only pay a few cents for it, it doesn't hurt so bad. :)

thanks for the reply ;  that is a good idea ; if one is prone to going to thrift store etc; 

I have problems walking and standing long ; so I can't go there but thanks

YES!!!! I crochet shawls to donate for Hospice year around that is my main crochet projects...

however I at the beginning of the year I sat down w/ myself and created a plan I have lots of yarn however sometimes the yarn I have or get for free (from Hospice doesn't go w/ colors in my stash) so I must buy yarn to complete a project. I set up a plan to both allow to spurge and allow for fun purchasing no-more then 4 skeins usually $2.50 that includes those big pounder ball that can run in cost $9.99 but to get those 4 skeins I must use coupons or the yarn must be on sale to cut the cost down even more.. it is now almost April and this is where I am..

Jan I bought zero so I have 4 extra to use later

February I bought 4 pounders with coupons price was $5.99 each

March I bought 4 on sale for $6.99 each these were pounders balls (yesterday)

April is almost here I have 8 I can buy but since I have lots of yarn that I have not used up I will most likely not be buying yarn

This allows for me to enjoy w/ out feeling guilty but also makes me think before shopping as well since I have 10 huge boxes of random stash...

Archived